Cosworth Issue

Snjur

Well just to share this here. As all of you are familiar with my build and on Friday car was ready for final dyno run.... But...

Since we put car together and since first dyno bed in process we noticed difference in mixture between Bank 1 and Bank 2. On idle was ok but it grew more and more with RPM's. This problem started being more noticed how engine did more miles.

On Friday i went for wheel alignment b4 last dyno. Although car was on low boost due to this issue 0.3 bar i can notice that something is not right.

Took car to garage and we start thinking.

We start dismounting engine and start testing all. Injector teste all ok, sparks tested all ok, valve tolerance perfect, wide band sensors tested all ok, wide band controller all ok, swap ecu for another Halteck ecu ok, check the fuel lines,rails,regulator all ok.

We measure pressure in all cylinders. 14.2 bar pressure inside all 6 cylinders. Identical and flawless.

After all this we start suspecting on Cosworth camshaft set ZK1 cams as nothing else had any sence and we ruled out any logical explanation.

So we took out cams and we something to see.

3 of 4 cams came without plug/covers on the end.

I purchased this from ebay from UK seller extreme automotive.

Cams came in original packaging brand new never used.

There is no trace that someone was messing with this caps most probably they left factory with caps missing.

You can say it's our mistake also not to check this but when having components with Cosworth name on it there is not much to look at.

I send email to Cosworth but still no reply. Seller has replied and backed up text with serial number of cams.

Here are pictures of Cosworth vs Oem with caps.

Hard for me to believe this happened with Cosworth cams.

d780aa19a22904c4a8e20f474d38459b.jpgee2b99264a131a077ac00433f4ecabe6.jpg57a83e8feeeb071b19124edafcbad326.jpg

8a2081adc306d6c3b2a67bb3b518a820.jpgafc15c7966d5d06b675a09dc17286963.jpgf0516e2daeb3cc6ffe1a2eb49d4813de.jpg7c82310ee0c4df97b4c1f4b6b9f10369.jpg

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Edited by Snjur

Interesting...

Cosworth is keeping me out of loop of conversation.

I got this reply from seller

"Hi Ivan,

James came back to me yesterday with the following info.

Cosworth USA purchased these cams from a company called Kelford in New Zealand in January 2014 - Kelford manufactured them to Cosworth specs.

I have sent an email to Kelford explaing the problem and asked if they can help. No reply so far, but when I hear, I will get back to you.

Best regards,

Mark"

Not what i was expecting from Cosworth...

I could have purchased Chinese cams this way...

Edited by Snjur

You've really got to ask the question on quality when it's cheaper to import from New Zealand!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I really can't belive that Cosworth is trading this way. Stamping other cams with their name.

And now who is going to take responsibility for this. Cosworth, Cosworth USA or Kelford.

I think when it come to spare parts than JWT is the way to go for Z

I really can't belive that Cosworth is trading this way. Stamping other cams with their name.

Sadly I can imagine them doing this as they do it with other components !

I'd personally have gone with BC or JWT.

I really hope something is sorted out for you man :wacko:

Sadly I can imagine them doing this as they do it with other components !

I'd personally have gone with BC or JWT.

I really hope something is sorted out for you man :wacko:

Sadly i really think this is going to be pain in the butt to sort out. Due to their name i have a feeling that they will try to ignore this.

Ignoring me from loop of e mail i have sent them is enough for me.

So much about customer support

I think i will never again buy any part coming with Cosworth name. Feel disappointed with all this and cheated at bottom of the line. Im stuck now with Kelford cams carrying Cosworth name.

Also now i need to wait for this end caps/plugs to arrive which of course nobody knows when are they going to arrive.

So i will take matter in my hands and make this plugs/cap for cams.

Personally if i have a money on stack i would throw them in garbage bin and go with stock cams since i doubt on twin turbo application they will make any significant difference

< tomei or jwt are very well rated cams. tomei are designed and built in house where most if not all others are cut from Nissan blanks

No dispute on that. I think i won't have any doubts on performance parts anymore. It will be Jwt and nothing else.

• 4 weeks later...
So you've tried speaking with both Cosworth and Kelford ?

No. I have sent e mail to Cosworth and in cc e bay seller where i purchased this cams.

On reply from Cosworth i was excluded from conversation.

I haven't sent any e mail to Kelford as i didnt have any clue there where coming from them

I would think that if you were a bit more pro active and also assertive, then you may get a result. :thumbs:

I have end up in conversation with seller as Cosworth is excluding me from loop. I am asking him he is asking Cosworth and than replying to me. Preliminary school stuff.

If you agree bit silly over 3 plugs.

I have made this plugs from my side and plugged them into cams.

If i was pursuing this storie and waiting Coswort engine heads would be still on the table.

If i purchased original and brand new Cosworth part from seller which is working with Cosworth than they need to stand behind this error.

• 1 year later...

So finally after a year and half this big issue has been positively resolved.

A massive massive thanks to Kelford and their understanding on this problem and will to resolve

Although they have made this cams for Cosworth 5 years ago and that Cosworth mixed up Vq35de intake and VQ35De rev up exhaust in this set and refused to take responsibility concerning (no warranty for racing parts) this cams not to mention they where bought over their official seller Cosworth Kelford stepped up and resolved this problem.

I got brand new set of T-189-A set of cams for turbocharged engines. For free!!!

I have exchanged huge amount of e mails with them and all of them from strat where filled with positive and friendly attitude.

Their customer care and after sale support is by so far the best i have experienced.

Even the cams where made 5 years ago for other brand, sold under different name in different continent by different they came fair and supplied me with new set.

So if someone is looking for cams Kelford is way to go!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scobie140 said:

Glad its sorted, shame it's taken so long!

Yeah I have lost half year since I found out that Cosworth are not manufacturing cams.

Communication with them was same like talking to the wall. Luckily seller has found out bit more on cams and directed me to Kelford

For me even up till now I can't imagine that such a brand like Cosworth can treat customers in such a bad way.

Not to say that from our "squad" of Z's this is not first with Cosworth products.

My opinion is they keep standard of quality in expensive Motorsports parts and for the rest of the mortals with tuning friendly parts quality is so so.

In fairness to Cosworth, you're not their customer. Your contract was with Extreme Automotive, so you should only have been speaking to them and pushed them for the resolution. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a good think when companies ignore the end user, but ultimately they're not set up to deal with anyone bar their suppliers.

Glad it's all sorted now though :thumbs: