How to put a cat c or d back on the road?

Jay Kay

My mums car was recently written off due to someone driving into the back of it. It's just the tailgate that is damaged. It's an 02 Picasso so the insurers have offered her next to nothing for it. I'm quite sure I can get a boot quite cheap and pop it on and the car will be back to normal.

However is there anything further to do? I have read about a vic check but see differing messages about how this is only needed if the car is to be sold on. If i repair the thing, it will just be used until it is scrapped so there is no issue of re-sale.

Any experience out there?

Cheers

When my z was written off I was offered the chance to buy it back and repair it myself which I did, albeit the car is now supposedly cat d and the only thing I had to do was get a new mot and let the insurance company know the certificate number and that was it, I didn't have to send the v5 away or get it independently inspected, have a chat with her insurers to find out what they require, hope this helps

Oh ok, more good info. I'm not sure what cat they have classed it so I'll find out. Is the Vic like an mot or is it just turn up, give them cash and get a certificate?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Fine on a car of value but my mums car is worth about 750 quid and let's be honest, who's going to hpi a similar car of similar value. Does feel like the system is leaving itself open to abuse

Fine on a car of value but my mums car is worth about 750 quid and let's be honest, who's going to hpi a similar car of similar value. Does feel like the system is leaving itself open to abuse

On a car worth £750, who cares what Cat it is? I wouldn't HPI a car of that value either, it's just cheap transport at that point.

Yeah I guess so, but even at that value, the category must devalue it somewhat so it should be visable somewhere. Oh well, makes things easier in this instance

When cars get below £1000 its a gamble to any buyer anyway. I mean a cat c/d may well turn out better than a non accident car anyway

Almost all cars under a grand will be 10+ years old. High milage, several owners so you realy are taking a risk anyway and at £200 scrap value you never are going to be that much out of pocket.

The insurance, tax and mot will cost as much as the car and when you fill it up with fuel you in effect are adding 10% to the value