Nismo MK2 exhaust options?

Scooby67

Hi guys i've now had my Nismo for a few months and i really need to get the exhaust changed, its far to quiet! I have had a browse through loads of threads on here but i can't find the info im looking for. I'm worried about the exhaust not fitting properly as the Nismo has a different bumper to the standard car, i have read that the stillen fits ok to the MK1 but im not so sure on the MK2? I don't want to go down the route of getting a remap just yet so i won't be installing HFC'S/Decats. I'm not going to be throwing loads of money on an exhaust so something under the 1k mark preferably. In terms of the noise level i want something fairly loud but not OTT obviously something much louder than the Nismo exhaust but nothing that will sound raspy.

Thanks in advance

George

Edited by Scooby67

Thanks so far guys, looking at videos i think the invidia may be a bit to quiet, is the cobra any louder? and has anyone fitted a cobra to a Nismo? I might be spending more than i thought to get the right system :lol:

I have now come across the Cybox short tails, i know these will be loud but for the price i might just get them for a few months to see how i get on with them. The only thing is wether or not they will fit ok with the Nismo rear bumper? Does anyone know?

I have now come across the Cybox short tails, i know these will be loud but for the price i might just get them for a few months to see how i get on with them. The only thing is wether or not they will fit ok with the Nismo rear bumper? Does anyone know?

Not sure - AAM do a similar thing but have too different versions one for normal and one for Nismo so i'm guessing not

• Like 1

Stillen is the perfect fit but it ain't cheap and it's not an especially loud exhaust. If you think the Invidia is too quiet, you'd probably feel the same about the Stillen. I'd suggest you go for something with fairly wide tips and straight cut rather than slash. If the tips are too small it won't look right. Ark DTS is a very nice system.

• Like 1

Ok chaps i cant make my mind up but i'm thinking about buying the AAM short tails, the only thing that concerns me is will i lose low down torque having these installed or will it make no real difference? I have also been toying with the idea of putting on HFC's to my existing Nismo exhaust, has anyone had any experience of doing this? I have a feeling it might sound raspy, if i go down that route i will need to get the car remapped which i'm not to keen on doing as it's a fairly new car.

I started out putting HFCs with my Nismo exhaust. It improved the sound noticeably, but it was still too tame. I wouldn't bother if I were you - just bite the bullet on a decent exhaust. It a nice car; no point in skimping on the most important mod.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok chaps i'm now getting fed up with watching exhaust videos so i need to just hurry up and buy something, I'm pretty much set on getting the cobra system with the 5" inward rolled slash cut tips. The only thing that i'm worried about is the fitment, i've seen pictures of the cobra exhaust on the mk1 Nismo but not on the mk2. Does anyone know if the fitment is any good as i don't want to buy it and then find out that the tips don't align properly and they end up looking lost in the bumper.

Thanks again!

Edited by Scooby67

I still think straight cut tips work better with the Nismo. With regard to fitting, the Cobra appears to have the third hanger 'prong' on the back box - same as the Stillen. You might find a slight issue whereby if you attach it to the bracket on the underside of the car which is intended for the same 'prong' on the Nismo system, the exhaust tips look misaligned (the left hangs lower than the right). That is because the bracket on the Nismo is specifically for that exhaust system and it sits lower than the one on the standard 370.

If so, you can remove the bracket altogether and just have the exhaust attached by the front two 'prongs' (which should be fine) or do what I did - remove the bracket, take off rubber mount for the "prong" and bolt it directly to the sub-frame. Doing this fixes the mount to the car at the correct height and means that the tips line up correctly (sounds complicated but it will make sense when you see it). You obviosuly won't have this issue with exhausts which don't have the third 'prong'.

Apart from that minor issue I can't see that you would have fitment issues. Just make sure that the tips are roughly the same size as the Nismo's, otherwise they will look too small. That's one of the main reasons I went for the Stillen - very similar look to the Nismo system, but better sound.

Edited by sipar69

Thank's for your advice Sipar! That's very very helpful! I think you're right about the exhaust looking better with straight cut tips rather than slash cut, i don't think Cobra do a staright cut system but the tips look okay on the pictures i can find of it fitted to the mk1 Nismo. I'm not sure if the stillen will be a big enough improvement in sound for what i'm lookng for?

Hi George,

Motordyne TDX V2 exhaust + Motordyne ART pipes would be amazing in terms of sound, but a bit loud.

ARK + ARK R-Spec pipes would also sound awesome, here is how it sounded on my car:

Invidia Gemini + Berk HFC would another options.

All these and many other systems are available on our online shop here: http://www.torqen.uk/84-exhaust-systems

Amuse R1 STTI Titanium would be the ultimate, have a look here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/96473-for-sale-rare-370z-amuse-r1-titan-rs-silent-stti-exhaust-system/

• Like 1

Hi Adrian

Cheers for that mate, is that the ARK GRIP OR DTS that you have on you car? sounds awesome! I doubt i would decat it but i might go for some HFC's. I think the invidia tips might look a tad small on the Nismo.

That's on my old 370z, the car belongs to Scott now. I now drive a stupidly loud GTR R35 with 3.5" exhaust and 5" tips :lol:

ARK also does the HFC for their Spec R pipes - http://www.torqen.uk/370z/exhausts/high-flow-cats/1150-370z-ark-r-spec-hfc-high-flow-cats--hc0900-0010.html

It was ARK GRiP exhaust - http://www.torqen.uk/370z/exhausts/exhaust-systems/1939-370z-ark-grip-collection-cat-back-exhaust-sm0901-0209g.html

with the R-Spec test pipes - http://www.torqen.uk/370z/exhausts/test-pipes/438-370z-ark-r-spec-test-pipes-tp0900-0010.html

I do love the GTR's, maybe one day i will have one! Okay mate that's great, is there much difference between the ARK GRIP AND DTS? Do you know if the fitment to the mk2 Nismo is any good? Also will this be louder than the invidia as i want it fairly loud! Sorry for all the questions.

Thank's for your advice Sipar! That's very very helpful! I think you're right about the exhaust looking better with straight cut tips rather than slash cut, i don't think Cobra do a staright cut system but the tips look okay on the pictures i can find of it fitted to the mk1 Nismo. I'm not sure if the stillen will be a big enough improvement in sound for what i'm lookng for?

I've had Stillen systems on my last two 370s. It's much nicer sounding than stock but it's not a loud system compared to some. If you think it will be too quiet it probably will be. Adding HFCs changes the sound significantly but obviously ups the cost. You might want to consider Ark DTS. I nearly got one for my Nismo, but they didn't have the tips I wanted in stock at the time. Stillen + HFCS is perfect for me, but it's quite a costly set up and there's always the possibility of an MOT fail with HFCS.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1