Damper Adjustment Advise

Kerry

Hey guys can anyone help me out my car is fitted with MeisterR Zeta-S coilovers with damper adjustment extensions.

I didn't set the car up in the first place think the previous owner did and I want to make the ride firmer. It's still my daily but I want it to feel more firm.

Is there a way to go about setting the firmness in terms of the ratio to front to back? Any advise is welcome.

I am looking for the same advice on the Zeta-S. I've pm'd Jerrick at MeisterR but got no reply as yet.

I bought mine as part of the Group buy and am looking to get them fitted this weekend.

Initially I want to setup the car to stock ride height , which should be 705mm at the rear, and 683mm at the front according to the Nissan manual.

(Unladen - measured from the floor to the wheel arches).

I am guessing that having the front 22mm lower puts more weight over the front wheels aiding turn in.

I need to know a good initial setting for the damper, i.e. number of clicks from the 32 available.

All the MeisterR instructions say is that:

1. Clockwise direction (HARD) is to stiffen damping.Turn the adjustment knob clockwise until it stop at Level 0 - hardest setting.

2. Anti-clockwise direction (SOFT) is to soften damping. Turn the adjustment knob anti-clockwise until it stop at Level 32 - softest setting.

As supplied the damper adjusters are set up as follows:

1. Front - 9 clicks from hardest
  2. Rear - 8 clicks from hardest

•  

Edited by GrahameJ
  • Like 1

I got this advice from Edwin at MeisterR today which should help for initial setup:

Sent Today, 09:36

HI Grahame,

Try using a softer setting first to allow a little bedding in so about 25 clicks from hard. Then after a few days of driving you should just play with them to find your preference.

Kind regards,

Edwin

Knowing the roads in your area well, I'd suggest a starting point of 15F and 20R, all set from hardest. Tweak as you see fit, keeping a 5 gap difference first of all until you feel the car is stiff enough without jumping over the surface. You can then adjust the ratio as you feel is right.

This is only an incredibly rough guide, as your geo settings, wheels, tyres and pressures of will also affect what works for you. Don't be afraid to experiment, you won't damage anything, just be aware that stiffer rear than front will promote oversteer. That said, if 32F/0R feels good then go for it!

• Like 1

Thanks Dan!

I'll bed them in for a day as Edwin suggests and then try your initial settings.

The car seems to handle pretty good as standard, fairly neutral off the throttle and brakes going into a corner and I start feeding in the power from the apex onwards, which tightens everything up on exit.

What I am looking for is an improvement over standard suspension, that corners without understeer and which can handle the bumps too.

I am certainly no drifter and just want to corner faster if I can. :)

I have uprated the brakes with MTEC discs and Ferodo pads, so this is the next step, together with Goodridge brake lines.

Alan Price will be fitting the shocks for me, as I have nowhere flat to work on the car, and I trust them. A cobbled back on a steep hill behind my garage isn't the best place for setting up ride height either! I am guessing wheel alignment will need checking once fitted.

They have laser wheel alignment gear: http://www.ap-autose...heel-alignment/

Have you any suggestions for settings using OEM adjusters that I can give to them in addition to the Nissan service data below?

Wheel_alignment_zpsq8c1fbaz.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'm going to have a play around with this over the weekend. Pretty sure the car is set up pretty soft at the moment so really interested to see if I can improve the handling a little more.

Just a little update I had a play around with the settings today found out they were all set to there softest settings so I've gone for 15 front and 20 rear from hardest and the car feels sooo much tighter but still comfortable might try a little hard once I've driven it a little more this week.

Cheers guys

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the MeisterR Zeta-s shocks fitted whilst I was on holiday at stock ride height, together with a 4 wheel laser alignment, and ran them for 2 days on 25 clicks from hardest as recommended.

Today I’m now running Ekona’s suggestion of 15 clicks front and 20 clicks rear.

This has firmed up the ride, and reduced front end dive on braking from the above bedding in settings, but is still compliant enough to cope with manhole covers, patchy road surfaces and speed bumps.

I have purposely driven over bumps I would normally avoid, and driven over speed bumps at higher speeds and the MeisterR’s have just soaked up the bumps without a problem

Next step is to see how the cornering is, and whether it can be improved.

For those thinking of buying these shocks, I can say:

1. These are quality shocks and a big improvement over stock OEM
  2. The shocks can be set up at Standard ride height if you don't want to lower your car, but will be able to set a lot lower if you wish.
  3. Ride quality is improved together with handling

• Like 1

Ok, Ekona’s suggestion of 15 clicks front and 20 clicks rear is a very good starting point.

The start of the M58 from Liverpool contains an 'S' bend.

Tonight I was able to hug and hold the inside line (which is bumpy) for a change,

accelerating round on the inside for a good position for the turn to hit the apex on the second bend.

It was not to be as there was another car in the inside lane at that point. :(

Never the less the MeisterR's got me round in the outside lane at a shade over 70mph.

This might not seem much, but a lot of cars brake when they hit 60mph at that point.

So Dan, thanks very much! :)

Any further advice on what to try next will be appreciated by me, and no doubt anyone else trying to set up their suspension.

Here is my 4 wheel alignment chart, which I'm hoping someone might be able to explain what it means.

I have no idea if the front is toed in or out from looking at this????

Grahame_4_wheel_alignment_zps4hd15aoa.jpeg

Edited by GrahameJ