Grey hood

Jeff E

Has any one fitted a grey hood to their gun metal (Silverstone, WV2 paint code) roadster ? I have a sample and it looks good. Should reduce the carbuncle effect of the black hood . Any thoughts ?

Edited by Jeff E

Thanks Kev, just what I needed , a full picture. The price difference between my quote is £400+. The chap it who did it for that price won't do Z's, anymore as reported on this forum.

He told me last week he does?

£290 fitted for one he makes or £100 to fit a off the shelve one.

He also said he hates them and whoever designed the roof wants shooting :) seems to dislike new mercs and BMW's too, and had a rant about mini cabrios.

Edited by Kev

Thanks again Kev. I followed up on your link above and it is still active so posted on there. Jack recommended a supplied hood and he fitted for £100. My cheapest unfitted quote was £460 from Car Hoods Direct so £560 fitted. CTC fitted £695. (see other post) but Romford nearer than Swansea so could get fixed in a day and less fuel cost. The fitting on the blue Z did not look good.

Thanks again Kev. I followed up on your link above and it is still active so posted on there. Jack recommended a supplied hood and he fitted for £100. My cheapest unfitted quote was £460 from Car Hoods Direct so £560 fitted. CTC fitted £695. (see other post) but Romford nearer than Swansea so could get fixed in a day and less fuel cost. The fitting on the blue Z did not look good.

I think that's the roof he made rather than the quality of his fitting.

He did say I'd be better off buying a new roof rather than having him make one.

£460 for a mohair roof is a good price. Do you know what make it is?

I'll end up having mine done local as Swansea is a fair old drive.

Edited by Kev

Car Hoods Direct are based in Tonbridge in Kent. They say they fit hoods but then not for their customers. If you go on their web site and look in FAQ's you can see their comments which I found confusing. They were the only ones who did not reply to my enquiry which was for a fitted hood, before I had read their FAQ.

I e mailed Car Trimming Company for a quote but the sample came from All Hoods Ltd based at same Romford address. Get impression they make their own hoods.On All Hoods web site products, find car and scroll down to shop and there is a picture of a Z, cost £390 ex VAT and shipping.I shall probably go with them, fitted £695 black mohair or £745 grey.

Thats my car IN gm AND GREY HOOD and yes Ray is still doing them.

The grey does not stretch as much as black as its a little bit different in the weave (not that you can see ofcourse) but given time and weather is will sit nice at the back in the end after a month or so.

Expect to pay between £260 and £290 for a new roof which includes fitting. He will take approx 5 hrs to do it. There is no waiting room as its done in a back garrage on a mid terrace house. Dont let this put you off. He's been making hoods for 30 plus years. Drop the car off at 8.30 am, catch a taxi into Swansea town (approx 1 mile away) spend the day there, taxi back and collect your car.

I live near him and know him quite well.

Hope this helps

Nigel.

EDIT - WHAT EVER YOU DO, CHANGE THE ELASTICS WHILE THE ROOF IS OFF. A MUST.

Edited by ZZZebady

Serious thanks for the pics and info. ZZZ . Your new look motor looks awesome and as I read it your grey hood is now redundant and you need a blue one. Surplus second hand grey hood for 50 quid , I pop down and as Ray around the corner from you ,he takes yours off, fits to mine for a consideration and job done !

I like the look of your grey hood and so will go with that colour and give Ray a call. cheers

Jeff E

• Like 1