Change from DE to HR

MartynB85

GT 86 must be much lighter than the Z I would have thought. Hence why it's a bit better handling but lacking some power and torque. Quite Sure it's like the wife's MR2. Light and handles really well but just needs a bit more power.

Just checked.

GT86 1,190 kg

Z 1,450 kg

Edited by monkeybrain1234

Yeah, the lightness was one of the main objectives with the 86. I think if they gave it enough grunt that it felt, well, grunty, it would have much more appeal. I loved driving it when I had the chance, but I wanted some decent shove when I got the hammer down. Not much more necessarily, just a bit of added urgency :)

I don't know anyone who is happy with the power in the GT86, BRZ etc. I'd have had one in a heart beat if it was running 250 + BHP. Some good deals on new ones at the minute too.

Do you know many people that have one?

I drove another today, fantastic little car but I think it feels quicker than it actually is. It's screaming for some boost. I need to drive another 370 I think.

I don't know anyone who is happy with the power in the GT86, BRZ etc. I'd have had one in a heart beat if it was running 250 + BHP. Some good deals on new ones at the minute too.

Do you know many people that have one?

I drove another today, fantastic little car but I think it feels quicker than it actually is. It's screaming for some boost. I need to drive another 370 I think.

Here's the thing for me - feeling quicker than it is is a plus point. Like I said before, there'll always be quicker cars on the road, so might as well enjoy how a car feels. Unless you feel like you're going fast, it's kinda pointless and past a certain point only increases your chances of getting nicked. Speed is only good for pub bragging points, although I would qualify that by saying that there is a minimum amount of grunt for a car to be really fun, and the 86 is a little short of that as I mentioned (but still a very nice car to drive).

I guess the fact that it's a sports car that's slower than most hot hatches could be seen as a shortcoming, but those in the know still recognise it as a fine drive I feel.

I've just bought a GT86, it's a great little car. Seating position is so much better than the 350 (not driven a 370, but don't imagine it's much lower).

It's brilliant round corners, stupidly low COG and decently low weight makes sure of that. It's true you can't just get the arse out round every bend, but why would you want to on a public road anyway? Odd bit of sideways action when conditions allow is fine. I also find the gearbox a load nicer than the zed one.

Noise isn't great, it does just seem to get louder as you get through the revs. But that can probably be sorted at the same time as sorting the torque dip at 4k.

It's slower than most current hot hatches, but then so is a stock 350. I'm not a traffic light GPer anyway, so don't remotely care.

You could probably just swap the final drive to a shorter one to give you more torque to the ground, but then you wouldn't be able to get 40+mpg down the motorway.

• Like 1

I've just bought a GT86, it's a great little car. Seating position is so much better than the 350 (not driven a 370, but don't imagine it's much lower).

It's brilliant round corners, stupidly low COG and decently low weight makes sure of that. It's true you can't just get the arse out round every bend, but why would you want to on a public road anyway? Odd bit of sideways action when conditions allow is fine. I also find the gearbox a load nicer than the zed one.

Noise isn't great, it does just seem to get louder as you get through the revs. But that can probably be sorted at the same time as sorting the torque dip at 4k.

It's slower than most current hot hatches, but then so is a stock 350. I'm not a traffic light GPer anyway, so don't remotely care.

You could probably just swap the final drive to a shorter one to give you more torque to the ground, but then you wouldn't be able to get 40+mpg down the motorway.

How long have you had it mate? Are you finding the power enough to keep you interested?

How long have you had it mate? Are you finding the power enough to keep you interested?

Only a week and a half, it's been pretty entertaining so far. I find the lower power means you can "drive it like you stole it" more frequently without doing stupid speeds everywhere.

I don't know if I'll get bored with time, but there seem to be plenty of reliable ways to bump the power a bit.

its only really the new hyper hatches that'll crack 60mph in less than 6 seconds.......

I thought the 370 had a shorter wheelbase than the 350

The 370 is shorter & wider than the 350, although in the flesh it actually looks totally the opposite due to the styling.

I don't know anyone who is happy with the power in the GT86, BRZ etc.

The bloke who I left standing from 20mph upto err.. a reasonable speed, coming off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway last year when I was in my daily diesel did not look at all happy. He looked positively gutted. It did look though like he had spent a fortune modding his GT86 though, it was all kitted out, had very loud exhausts on it (esp when he was wringing its neck trying to catch up) and it was lowered etc. Looked like it had came straight from fast & furious. Still, my neighbour has one and he`s very happy with it. Although he is 75 years old and only uses it to nip to Asda and back. (Seriously, i kid you not! And fair play to the old boy).

The 370 felt a little sloppy to be honest (even compared to my lowered 350), has anyone else thought this? Almost like it's not quite connected to the road, however it did feel quite a bit quicker than my DE.

100%, exactly what I said after a test drive, its even worse if you compare it to cars around its own age.

its only really the new hyper hatches that'll crack 60mph in less than 6 seconds.......

Oh, not looked at the numbers on them, but assumed there would be loads under 6 secs by now, it's 15 years since an EP3 Civic could do it in 6.5. Guess they've been getting a lot more bloated.

They must all have a shed load of torque down low with their miniature blown engines tho, so might not be that quick off a line but imagine they would be pretty rapid in gear / out of a roundabout etc.

I'm not sure my 350 could do it in 6 either tho, have to be quite patient with the gearbox...

This is all chat on a forum where people mod their cars tho, I would imagine adding power is a whole lot easier (tho not that cheap) than fixing handling, the cars balance or removing weight without sacrificing something.

• Like 1

0-60 is a truly rubbish indicator of performance though, there are so many variables and its such a short time that it doesnt really tell you anything - I remember back in the early 90's when manufacturers were making 2nd gear a leetle bit longer so it would save 0.5 seconds on the time.

Standing quarter all the way and a 350Z is at least a second quicker for this than an FN2 CTR :thumbs:

• Like 3

I remember Gordon Murray admitting that they made 1st stretch to just over 60mph (or 62 maybe) in the F1 so the shift wouldn't ruin their figures.

Unless you've got launch control the chances of replicating those times are next to none anyway, and it's not something I'd want to attempt in my own car.

Oh, not looked at the numbers on them, but assumed there would be loads under 6 secs by now, it's 15 years since an EP3 Civic could do it in 6.5. Guess they've been getting a lot more bloated.

They must all have a shed load of torque down low with their miniature blown engines tho, so might not be that quick off a line but imagine they would be pretty rapid in gear / out of a roundabout etc.

I'm not sure my 350 could do it in 6 either tho, have to be quite patient with the gearbox...

This is all chat on a forum where people mod their cars tho, I would imagine adding power is a whole lot easier (tho not that cheap) than fixing handling, the cars balance or removing weight without sacrificing something.

0-60 is hard to get right , I lost count of the number of EP3's I out dragged in my old diesel Merc

Agreed 0 - 60mph is such an out dated measure of straight line performance,

0 - 100mph or standing 1/4 mile is far better gauge i think.

What i like about the Zed is the n/a throttle response and low end torque thats always available unlike the GT86/BRZ or similiar hot hatches/coupe of the same era.

GT86 -350z?Absolutely no competition.Z every aspect is superior to the toymotor with its very rough gutless engine.I sometimes had to use one for instructing in(they have sonce been sold off)Surprised by the amount of clients wanted to try before they buy, decided they did not like the car at all.

i wouldn't be too harsh on 0 - 60 times. it's the same as 50 -80 and so on, it's just an indication of what's possible in a particular parameter. Would i buy a car based on it's 0-60 time? No i wouldn't but it's an interesting factor of a car IMO.

I used to have a Celica mk7 and before buying me Zed was thinking about the GT-86, but it took so long to come out and the lack of power meant I was glad I got a zed instead. People compalin about the 350Z not being that quick, imagine them in a GT-86.

• Like 1

Well after driving the 370 i soon took that off the list, yes its quick but not quite the drive i was looking for. The GT86 felt awesome to drive, and would make a great daily. But it's just a little too slow, and I thought i'd get bored fairly quickly. I did drive a supercharged one, with 230whp and to be honest, my 350 felt quicker. It was remapped and had launch control, full throttle shifting etc but it lacked any drama.

Anyway, I've placed a deposit on an Elise. Now this thing really does shift, well it is quick but feels quicker than it actually is i think. Definitely gives a rush when it comes on cam and drives like a go kart. It will be time to let the zed go soon, which definitely be a sad moment. After driving a few elise's it really made me appreciate the zed for what it is, and it's an awesome car.......