Door Switch Panels

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

I was going to have a go at respraying my door switch panels, but then I came across some videos on you tube of people doing DIY hydro dipping and would like to give it a go.

I do have a question though before I look into it further.

Most of the clips I found don't really go into the preparation and finishing of the item being dipped. The people doing it just seem to dip the item as is. Is there any preparation needed besides cleaning the item? Also, what about after? I know you have to rinse the item off afterwards, but do you then need to apply a couple of coats of lacquer to protect the pattern or is it not required?

Thanks.

I have tried hydro dipping AKA water transfer printing myself. Basically anything that you can dip into water without ruining it can be dipped. B)

I bought a starter kit from eBay for around £50 odd which came with mostly everything you'd need to get started. As you'd imagine though it wasn't the best even for £50.

The film (that's the part with the pattern on it) for starters although it looked fairly good quality it was in fact fairly rubbish (China made AFAIK) as was the supplied activator (the spray which liquefies the film). I have since ended up investing more money in it with better films (believe Japan make the best quality) and quality activators.

All supplied by AquaGraphix a professional trader on here: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/227-aquagraphix/

Trust me when I say the videos on Youtube are very misleading and as you're aware they don't show you even half the process or prep work involved in making a quality item. Also they never show you the messed up ones & trust me it does mess up a lot especially when you're learning how to do this process correctly (even the Pros will admit it never goes according to plan all the time with dipping ;) ).

ZEUS above has correctly touched on the basic process:

• Prepare the part for dipping ~ sanding maybe necessary/removing all old paint/other surface finishes etc, then wash, dry, panel wipe (degrease) and lay down a good coat of appropriate primer. Allow to dry.
  • Check surface finish ~ may require more sanding (wet & dry), ..if happy
  • Apply base coat colour ~ varies depending on the film you are using & the effect/look you want. For example; one of the films I have is a black snake skin pattern. It works best over any light coloured base coat but you wouldn't use a black base coat as you wouldn't see the pattern then.
  • Once your base coat is done and properly dry you need to check the surface finish again, degrease, ...then if happy
  • You're ready to start dipping your part: **skipping the dipping technique info just for now as it's mainly in my thread below**
  • Once dipped you will need to gently wash your dipped part: I do this under a lukewarm gently running tap. This is to wash off any film residuals.
  • Once the part has been washed and left to dry you will then need to lacquer (clear coat) the part to protect the film/part & ensure a long lasting finish.
  • Allow lacquer to fully harden and then you're done (well hopefully).

This is my thread I wrote for my first attempt at hydro dipping: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/102662-tried-my-hand-at-hydro-dipping-aka-water-transfer-printing/

I have though gotten better thankfully at hydro dipping since my first attempts and am still practicing on bits like computer parts, car parts, phone covers etc whenever I get the chance.

Below is a picture of one of my latest dips which was on a "MadCatz Rat1" mouse using a digital green camo print film over a cream white base coat. Pretty challenging doing the digital camo as the pattern will distort as it goes around the part especially with a shape as complex as that mouse is (fyi: it was totally dismantled for dipping and the parts individually dipped ~ the dark olive green parts were spray painted as too awkward to dip imo).

35_zpsxktp7qhw.jpg

Anyway hope you like & have found that informative. :) Gareth, :thumbs:

Just in case you're interested this is below what the Pros did for me when I had my Zed

Dipped interior parts done by AquaGraphix: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86048-hydro-dipped-interior-parts-door-pulls-grab-handle/

Thanks Gareth,

Your post is really informative and helps a lot.

Basically I want to have the door switch panels carbon dipped as you did (they look great by the way).

It is something that I would like to try, but if the kit you bought for £50 wasn't great then a decent kit may cost say between £70 and £100 and at that price I could probably get a professional do the job. I'm certainly still interested in giving it a go and what I might do is buy a basic kit and start experimenting with smaller items and if I find that I take to it quite easily then I will look at getting into it more seriously.

For now, I think I will get a quote from AquaGraphix and go from there.

Thanks again.

For now, I think I will get a quote from AquaGraphix and go from there.

Thanks again.

I think that's probably the best way to go for now and you'll definitely get a better finished part afterwards from them.

Maybe ask for a half decent dipping kit as a birthday or Christmas present? That way if it is a waste of money for you then it's someone else's money that got wasted and not your own. :dry::lol:

Good luck with your plans. :thumbs:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...