How does tyre size affect traction control?

longsh07

Just a quick one as I've not been able to find a straight answer online.

forgetting about alloy size for a moment, am I right in thinking that as long as the rear tyres are a certain % larger than the fronts, traction control will be happy?

Does anyone know that the difference threshold is before it gets upset?

There is a 2.7% difference between the stock tyres 225/45/18 front and 245/45/18 rear.

I know, as I'm currently running, 255/35/19 fr, 275/35/19 rr (2.1% diff.) cause no issues,

and I've seen suggestions of running 245/35/19 fr, 275/35/19 rr (3.2% diff.) so assuming that no issue either

or even 225/40/18 fr, 245/40/18 rr (2.5% diff.) is also fine for some.

So if I change my wheels and tyres to fit 245/40/18 fr, 265/40/18 rr, (2.4% diff.) I assume TC will still be happy?

So if anyone knows, what is the threshold? 2.7% dfference -/+ 1%?

Edited by longsh07

Hey Alex, just realised that -2.5% would be 0.2% difference between front and rear. Would that really work? Or have I miss understood what you mean

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I was not comparing front to rear.

I was demonstrating / calculating the difference between 1 x set of tyres with 1 x set of a difference size so that the rolling circumference would be within tolerances.

• 1 year later...

Hoping to clarify on here instead of posting a new thread. 

Is the tolerance referring to the difference in rolling diameter from standard wheel and tyre specs? 

I have a set of 18" rpf1s to go on my z and am looking for track tyres e.g. Westlake. The fronts are 9.5j and the rears are 10.5j

Any suggestions on tyre size and brand choices would be great 

1 hour ago, Rshep1 said:

Hoping to clarify on here instead of posting a new thread. 

Is the tolerance referring to the difference in rolling diameter from standard wheel and tyre specs? 

I have a set of 18" rpf1s to go on my z and am looking for track tyres e.g. Westlake. The fronts are 9.5j and the rears are 10.5j

Any suggestions on tyre size and brand choices would be great 

As @Ekona says, front/rear. Stock difference is 2.73% front to rear.

I've run 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 (255/35 and 275/35) which is 2.12% different, and currently on 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 (245/40 and 265/40) which is 2.45%. neither had any TC problems.

Personally I really like Yokahama AD08R's (current choice), not a 'true' track day tyre but very good!

1 hour ago, longsh07 said:

As @Ekona says, front/rear. Stock difference is 2.73% front to rear.

I've run 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 (255/35 and 275/35) which is 2.12% different, and currently on 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 (245/40 and 265/40) which is 2.45%. neither had any TC problems.

Personally I really like Yokahama AD08R's (current choice), not a 'true' track day tyre but very good!

I'm struggling for actually finding tyres in the sizes I'm needing. As it stands I can't find any Yoko's or toyos in the right size. 

My best at the moment seems to be Westlake's from tarmac sportz in a 235/40 front and a 285/35 rear.

The ratios should be okay at that but may be a bit much of a stretch on the fronts

R888R in 235/40 and either 265/35 or 275/35 will do you just fine. 285 rear is really excessive unless you're running massive power, especially on track rubber where you've got masses of extra grip anyway.

Tbh, if you're running track rubber then you'll likely want to be running with the TCS off anyway, which makes the debate redundant. FWIW, I used to run 225/40 and 245/40 R888 on my old car and never had issues, nor a lack of grip ;)

Yes, the 265 will fit a standard 18" Ray.

I used to run the Federal RSR (amongst others) on my 350 until I recently changed to Yokohama A052's

I think that I may still have a new set of RSR's in stock, so if you decide to go that route then let me know and I will confirm the sizes and work out a deal for you. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

Yes, the 265 will fit a standard 18" Ray.

I used to run the Federal RSR (amongst others) on my 350 until I recently changed to Yokohama A052's

I think that I may still have a new set of RSR's in stock, so if you decide to go that route then let me know and I will confirm the sizes and work out a deal for you. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Cheers man, I am thinking when I need new tyres as currently on potenza sp001's which are nearly new. I will give you a shout

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rshep1 said:

Ordered some nankang ns2r's today. Hopefully get the wheels refurbed and get them on the car just after Xmas. 

Thanks for the help guys:D:thumbs:

Just saw this 

My pals sponsored by nankang and I think he is able to do a small discount on them I'll ask him next time for you..he runs his race car on AR1s and he winning races so can't be bad 

This is his in demon tweek 

20171128_190638.jpg

Edited by nissanman312