New for 2016 Gran Turismo 6 Challenge Cup

jowen7448

And saint, fair play. Rules are same for all. You are best so far. Would you like your gamertag adding to the OP so others can add you?

Oops, forgot. I'll bash in some laps tomorrow and update all 3. I was a tenth shy at Spa, which I'm happy to blame on using a controller instead of a wheel! Nowhere near on Matterhorn though :(

Great time :thumbs: , the good thing about Matterhorn is it's actually fun scrabbling over the curbs in mad drift and then tearing down the mountain side!

Red Bull Ring - 1:47.839 and I KNOW I'm done with that Focus and it's appalling understeer. I even tried sticking 50kg over the front wheels, it just went slower in a straight line and understeered the same :lol:

Great time :thumbs: , the good thing about Matterhorn is it's actually fun scrabbling over the curbs in mad drift and then tearing down the mountain side!

Red Bull Ring - 1:47.839 and I KNOW I'm done with that Focus and it's appalling understeer. I even tried sticking 50kg over the front wheels, it just went slower in a straight line and understeered the same :lol:

God damn it I'm now slowest on RBR. I can't be having that, I will have to have another go this week sometime if I can. I was considering putting some weight over the back end and trying to lift off oversteer to aim the front end round better.

I'm also feeling like since it appears to be just the three of us so far (if you are still playing with us saint) that I should open it up to some other challenges(?).

Do you each want to propose a challenge and I will add to OP and keep track of it going forward, might help some others get more interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologise to others currently playing that I have neglected this a bit at the moment. Bit of a busy time work wise at the mo but since there hasn't been any other replies I am assuming others are similarly busy.

This is just to say I have not forgotten about this at all and when time presents itself I will have another bash. Also a bump to maybe attract some new players :)

• 4 weeks later...

THREAD REVIVAL!

I had bit of a play today coming up with the patented Three Mod, Three Car, Three Track Challenge. Three lightwieght grip machines, made even more lightweight and grippy. In fact, there's too much grip!

The three permitted mods are:

Big Brake Kit

Stage 3 Weight Reduction

Racing Soft Tyres

The tracks and cars are:

Cote d'Azure

Renault Sport Clio V6 24v

Circuito di Roma

KTM X-Bow R '12

Trial Mountain

Vauxhall VX220 Turbo

The premise is simple, have you got the minerals to find the edge of grip? And can you save it when you take one step beyond? These are fearsome vehicles when pushing the very limits of physics.

Cote d'Azure

Renault Sport Clio V6 24v

1:44.115 - SuperStu

Circuito di Roma

KTM X-Bow R '12

1:07.152 - SuperStu

Trial Mountain

Vauxhall VX220 Turbo

1:29.176 - SuperStu

:drive1

• Like 1

THREAD REVIVAL!

Thanks Stu, thread revival was definitely necessary, it has been paining me that I know this is here and I haven't been keeping on top of it as much as I should have been or indeed wanted to.

Your choices look interesting, I am hoping to be able to give them a bash this week sometime. I am away tomorrow though and have plenty of work to get done before that trip. Might be the weekend before I get chance to actually have a go. Feel free to use your mod powers to stick the times and challenges up in the first post so that they are easy to keep track of and no post hunting through the thread for people wanting to check.

10/10 on the maths, 1/10 on typing...

The lap in the xbow was just impossible to beat until I figured out the last two corners, man that thing oversteers! I reckon theres 2 tenths on the table on trial mountain, and my monaco time needs some polishing.

I'm getting excited to have a go at this now, plan is to have a go at all three on saturday. Thanks for proposing the extra challenges Stu, they look good. Work has been mega busy recently which is why im still last at my original RBR challenge :(. I'm sure I deserve a day off Saturday and if Claire isn't planning a day out I will be all over this.

The Trial Mountain one isn't as good as I'd hoped, the VXR is a bit underpowered for it. I'm enjoying the other two though and managed to do some damage to my times tonight. I've updated the original post.

Saint, you were spot on about the last section of Roma being the key. If you can carry speed through there you're onto a win. I improved my time but I must admit I had to switch to the Auto Transmission as the power band is so narrow in the X-Bow I kept bouncing off the limiter.

The Trial Mountain one isn't as good as I'd hoped, the VXR is a bit underpowered for it. I'm enjoying the other two though and managed to do some damage to my times tonight. I've updated the original post.

Saint, you were spot on about the last section of Roma being the key. If you can carry speed through there you're onto a win. I improved my time but I must admit I had to switch to the Auto Transmission as the power band is so narrow in the X-Bow I kept bouncing off the limiter.

Right I have an hour, buying cars now and mods now. Am i being mental or is the V6 clio somewhere funny, not in my regular dealerships?

Edit: Never mind I am being slow. Right time to have a go at some of these times. I have had a bottle of wine though so not hoping for much tonight.

Edited by jowen7448

jeez 1:40 in monaco is quick. I am on 1:42.243 as a first crack with 10 lap attempt. will try one of the others now

Edit:

A frustrated 1:28.473 on trial mountain. Frustrated coz I know I am quicker and that is so close to Stu's time.

Edit: Thoroughly detest circuito di roma, will stop for now on a 1:07.764 before I smash the damn thing. Must have spent as much time facing the wrong way as the right way. Grrrrrrr My least favourite for now.

Edited by jowen7448

Down to a 1:41.239 on Monaco but still miles off you Stu but that is me done for the night.

I think Trial Mountain is probably my favourite of these 3 but probably because this was one of my favourite circuits going back through the various Gran Turismo games. My only comment on this one would be that I don't know if the VX220 is a little underpowered as Stu said, I actually feel like power wise it's ok but it feels as though the gear ratios from 3rd to 4th are a bit off, like you drop too far down the powerband on that upshift, which is particularly annoying on the uphill drag after the hairpin as it makes it feel like you are struggling to make progress.

I like the Cote d'Azure challenge as well, the clio is just the right side of lively without being uncontrollable. I think having another go at this having not drunk any wine would probably help my times a little. Its a nice challenge as there is a good level of grip on the whole with the tail kicking out every now and again threatening to turn you round but to really nail the time you will have to be mega precise with lines and walls. Bane of my attempts on this circuit is the kerb on the inside of Portier as I keep having to lift to correct oversteer or indeed put it in the wall costing me lots of time regularly.

Finally the cicuito di roma and the Xbow. I quite like the car, it is possibly a little oversteery for me (although this could well be a characteristic of the cobbled streets of Rome more than the car itself) I hate this circuit though. Purely my opinion of course but I would find this a lot less frustrating with something 4wd or front as the surface gives very little adhesion and I spend a lot of time in this combination facing the wrong way. For my own enjoyment I find this intrusive as I am quite happy pounding round cranking out similar laptimes and occaisionally hooking up a collection of better sectors slowly moving the goal posts. Having to stick it in reverse ruins the flow a bit, obviously if I could keep it out the wall and facing the right way this would be less of an issue. I will have more goes at this one as there is no way I can cope with being so far off the pace but I don't envisage me troubling the top times too much and I think I will certainly spend less time on this challenge than the others.

Overall verdict: A very interesting set of challenges with a rather different focus to my original propositions. Very technical circuits with peppy grippy motors dancing on the edge. Think I will enjoy spending time on this one when I get chance. Think Trial Mountain will get most of my attention though. Well done Stu, it needed reviving :thumbs:

Nice write up!

Roma is frustrating, Saint called it by saying you need steady hands in the last sector. That's where all the time was hiding for me.

I know exactly where you mean at Monaco, though I found the first corner the most frustrating because of the huge ascent afterward. Very mph you don't carry round the bend into the climb hurts your first sector time. The swimming pool has its moments too!

Might have another go at Trial Mountain, this aft, or slaughter nazis on Wolfenstein. It's s tough call.

These lap times are beyond me, really wondering if I need a wheel now. Anyone care to share data logger traces? I just cant accept theres 2 seconds to be found at Roma, I was on every apex and carried as much speed out of each corner as the front wheels could handle.