She lives! Celica GT4 breathes after a year

Husky

Thought I'd share my excitement :p The GT4 has been sat SORN'd on the driveway for over a year now, she didn't get started for a long period, battery died and then... Well I didn't have the time to get her started up until now. The little fiesta had to jump start her but to my amazement, she started on the first turn. She tapped a bit for the first 30 seconds but quietened down nicely after that. We left her running for a good while, cleaned the mould off the seats (yeah I know!) and moved her about. The brakes weren't seized as far as I can tell, the tires were only down to 27PSI but the rust is feckin bad. Rear arch is on it's way to being dust and we already knew it needed cut out a year ago :(

The plan as it stands in no particular order is:

Respray in candy apple red

carbon accents here and there

find the source of the damn oil leak that sprays oil out the BoV

new Bov

fluid changes

brake strip clean and rebuild

rear arch cut out and welded back in

interior stripped and retrimmed

centre console stripped and redesigned

Hevac rerouted around new console design

crappy boot plastics remade (maybe in aluminium depending on how adventurous I feel).

Boot lifters replaced

boot lock replaced

bonnet vent repainted

new tyres (maybe? can tyres sit for a year and still be ok?)

New exhaust (Not a fan of the nur spec really) with bypass valve

Turbo timer removed, or got working... (I never trust the damn thing to turn off if i walk away)

New steering wheel

Flocked dash

Wiper blades

Cry quietly about how much it all cost

Bushings... everywhere

MoT

Tax

Enjoy

oh, ABS sensors too

and seat belt spring return thing is crap and needs replaced.

window seals leak a little too

aerial hole filled in

Battery

Fuel cap cover hinge replace

Wonder if I missed anything there...

figuring out costs... These are complete guesses with no foundation whatsoever, lets see how it compares when I'm done. :'( If you have a suggestion for how much something will cost let me know.

£2500 Respray Ideas: laser blue, Candy apple red

£300 carbon accents here and there

£50 for fix? find the source of the damn oil leak that sprays oil out the BoV

£250 new Bov

£100 fluid/filter changes (£55 oil&filter)

£100 brake strip clean and rebuild

£200? rear arch cut out and welded back in

£200 interior stripped and re-trimmed (Or £1500 for someone else to do)

£200 centre console stripped and redesigned

£30 Hevac rerouted around new console design

£100 crappy boot plastics remade (maybe in aluminium depending on how adventurous I feel).

£50 Boot lifters replaced

£50 boot lock replaced

£0 bonnet vent repainted

£0 new tyres (maybe? can tyres sit for a year and still be ok?)

£400 New custom exhaust (Not a fan of the nur spec really) with bypass valve

£0 Turbo timer removed, or got working... (I never trust the damn thing to turn off if i walk away)

£200 New steering wheel

£150 Flocked dash

£30 Wiper blades

£Priceless Cry quietly about how much it all cost

£100 Bushings... everywhere

MoT

Tax

Enjoy

£50 oh, ABS sensors too

£40 and seat belt spring return thing is crap and needs replaced.

£80 window seals leak a little too

aerial hole filled in

£60 Battery (£69 battery)

£20 Fuel cap cover hinge replace

Total: £4740

Total: £124

Edited by Husky

£2K respray? For the whole car? That seems a bit optimistic unless you're doing it yourself. I reckon close to double that for a decent job, maybe even triple.

Got my rattle cans ready!

I was thinking 3k really, didn't think it'd be more though :headhurt: The paint is pretty fuggered though, so I may need to factor that in then.

Edited by Husky

For the BoV blowing oil, I have a turbo engine build that is a very heavy breather which caused the oil to be blown out - a decent catch can and return setup sorted mine

The oil worked wonders to keep the engine bay looking shiny though :p

For the BoV blowing oil, I have a turbo engine build that is a very heavy breather which caused the oil to be blown out - a decent catch can and return setup sorted mine

The oil worked wonders to keep the engine bay looking shiny though :p

Interesting idea, I might look into that then. I actually put my go pro in the engine bay to see how bad it was, it nicely gave it a blurry coating of oil after one dump.

If it is that heavy, I would plumb a return to the sump - otherwise you are just creating a maintenance job of emptying the catch can after every drive!

When mine comes out of the garage in the sun, I will be fitting a new ally sump with tapped return fittings

• Like 1

my old gt-four used to blow a little oil through the BOV, nothing special, more like oil mist passing through. Should be because of blow by. Do you get some oil collecting in the pipe between the induction that goes to turbo? if you do, it's normal.

i had a straight intake on mine (see pic) and i'd take it off a couple of times a year to give it a clean, this was also due to blow by. Just as long as you don't have a reservoir's worth of oil sloshing about, a catch can will solve it as already stated.

006.jpg

Edited by Rock_Steady

Thanks for the info, yeah a catch can seems to be the general consensus from people I've asked. When I get her running a bit more (new battery needed) I can inspect it closer to see where it's coming from and going to.

The previous owner had the leather seats put in, no idea where he got them, could be Gen7 seats. Sorry my sig is misleading it means seats not the trim, couldnt fit any more words in!

But would like to retrim in leather, think that would be amazing and make a huge difference. If you google For Flocks Sake (on facebook) there is a guy that retrims in flock at a really good rate and has done loads of GT4s.

Just had a nosey round https://www.facebook.com/forflockssake/ Definitely thinking of going for that for certain parts around the interior to cover the 20 year old plastics!

Problem with the leather retrim is that you have to get a professional to do it, and it ain't cheap. If you find it cheap, then it will probably look like poop. You can't really do leather yourself easily as you need a beefy sewing machine for it that most don't have access to. The mrs is really wanting to give it a go though, I said she should hand stitch it after punching 5000 holes first, she didn't seem put off...

I'm a perfectionist so if it was even a little bit off, it'd bug me forever.

Edited by Husky

Mondo on here?

:shrug: no idea who that is.

I've spoken again with the mrs. Apparently she said; she'd be up for it because she thought that I thought that she'd be up for it. no wait; she thought that I wanted to do it and that I thought that she thought... **** it, no idea, she doesn't really want to do it apparently. :huh: But she'd help if I did try, although it'd be better if we paid someone to not **** it up like I might. God my brain hurts.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the oil change is done, that was some pretty black stuff that came out :blush:

I set to work cleaning the engine bay out a bit to see the state of it, weeds had actually grown through it last year due to the light coming through the bonnet vent, yeah not so good!

This was the engine bay before:

ejIxwAf.jpg

This is after a while with a tooth brush, my back is ****ed so I can't do too much at once :(

pF3PCNS.jpg

The bad news is that while getting her started back up and charging the new battery up, I left the window down a crack, just in case the locks got any funny ideas i could get back in. Yeah I forgot to wind it back up and it rained... A lot.

C8b3GLS.jpg

I don't smoke,that's litter that blew in the window in the rain :(

Edited by Husky

Dude you know woollen leg warmers went out of fashion in the 80's . . :lol:

I'll have you know that's the cuff of the Mrs lovely pink gardening gloves, kindly donated to me in a cunning plan to then permit brand new pink gardening gloves to be purchased on the next visit, always one step ahead! :wacko:

Looks good mate glad to hear its running again; if i can help let me know.

With regards to painting you could always plastidip or wrap to cover up the old paint. cost would be around £1000

With regards to the welding i have a MiG welder and angle grinder. and i can weld. if you can source the arches i can probalby do the work.

I have a photo album of the places the paint is fooked and I tell you it is getting looong. It needs quite a lot done, so much so it's only worth getting a full respray at this point. I plan to get it road worthy without working heavily on the rust (i hope) so I can strip it in scotland by down to the metal, engine out the lot, then we can do as much prep on her as possible. Doing the respray last makes sense anyway.