A 370Z with a modern twist

James yolo indeed

I've just bought another house so extra money is Verry tight also

But my moto is save a bit spend a bit and just have things ticking away in background incase we are lucky enough to reach old age

But live for now :)

Adventure before dementia :)

Totally agree Nic. Hope you and Rikki are doing well. Will be sure to come down to the next BHP Breakfast event. If you're going fur drinks the night before I'll do an overnighter and come for a few beers. Not staying in that hellhole from last time though!

Okay!!! I just repaired a load of the photo links starting from post #163 so if anyone wants to go back and have a nosey they are all there. Will go back a bit further and see if I can root out any more that have disappeared.

Does anyone know why the images stop working over time?

Thank you so much! We are lucky to have some excellent driving road here in the south eastern corner of Australia, but we don't have much of the scenery you enjoy in Europe and the northern end of the UK. The pics really bring the stories to life for me. Cheers!

Chris

Thanks Chris, it's my pleasure to share it all with my fellow Zed heads!

James yolo indeed

I've just bought another house so extra money is Verry tight also

But my moto is save a bit spend a bit and just have things ticking away in background incase we are lucky enough to reach old age

But live for now :)

Adventure before dementia :)

Totally agree Nic. Hope you and Rikki are doing well. Will be sure to come down to the next BHP Breakfast event. If you're going fur drinks the night before I'll do an overnighter and come for a few beers. Not staying in that hellhole from last time though!

For sure mate I'll keep you posted :)

I went on a Eurotrip last summer, and this year I may very likely be doing the same. It included many valleys and mountain roads etc, id like to go this year in my Z but I've got mod plans I'd like to complete before mainly to get the car faster. For handling and cornering I don't push the car too hard - I can drive it up to my ability and slowly improve but otherwise I just enjoy cruising, looking and sounding good.

f2d5a7774a7ad0a5257ad1aa909f69f9.jpg844dd75ab473ed4800a1c0ad468444c6.jpg70b7c31e86c58e3f82c1f59f76df3627.jpga5e4241dec52232679bb0857fc007b83.jpg

Sorry to derail your thread, although I traveled with a 370z and 350z, my car was a Supercharged type R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to be condescending Ekona.

I agree with both you and Nub.

Overall no doubt driver training is the best modification you can buy. It's the mod you can take with you to every car you own. It makes you faster and gives a deeper understanding and enjoyment to your driving.

However equally if you're regular driving doesn't put you on roads where you can actually drive hard, it's pretty irrelevant in terms of enjoyment, even if overall it makes you a better and safer driver.

For a car that is a commuter and rarely driven on roads where you can start moving the weight around properly, a bit more power and a nicer sounding engine note can hit the spot nicely and increase your enjoyment of the car. 👌🏼

Previously wasn't my place to say but +1 to the above.

I went on a Eurotrip last summer, and this year I may very likely be doing the same. It included many valleys and mountain roads etc, id like to go this year in my Z but I've got mod plans I'd like to complete before mainly to get the car faster. For handling and cornering I don't push the car too hard - I can drive it up to my ability and slowly improve but otherwise I just enjoy cruising, looking and sounding good.

Sorry to derail your thread, although I traveled with a 370z and 350z, my car was a Supercharged type R.

Great photos! I bet that was a bit of a weapon. What did the numbers look like after fitting the supercharger?

Edited by James Junior

Great photos! I bet that was a bit of a weapon. What did the numbers look like after fitting the supercharger?

340bhp and 230lbft. About the same BHP as my 370z is now yet it was 200kg lighter and shorter gearing so if was much quicker really. The Z is overall much better, but a stock 370 would have felt very slow indeed so I'm glad I bought mine remapped etc.

• 1 month later...

So, time for a proper update as it's been a while. Let's talk about adjustable camber arms! :)

Since fitting the KW V3 coilovers the Z has been munching tyres for fun, wearing the tyres all round the inner edge due to the amount of negative camber. GIven that Michelin Pilot Super Sports cost around £250 a corner this has been an expensive habit! :scare:

Marcus at MLM Motors has been fine tuning the suspension using laser wheel alignment to try to fix this issue. The spacers and KW V3s have been creating a lot of negative camber and we found that the stock camber arms just don't have sufficient adjustment to dial back in more positive camber to compensate for this. So it was time to invest in a full set of adjustable camber arms.

I went for the Z1 Motorsport full front and rear kit, as recommended by Nic 'Nissanman' Hollingworth. Thanks mate!

https://www.z1motors...age-p-4201.html

The kit arrived a few weeks ago now and first impressions were very good. The arms are great quality and allow a lot more adjustment. When the old arms were removed we found that the bushes were goosed (see below) meaning the camber arms were a timely upgrade in this respect too.

Once they were on the car the suspension geometry was thoroughly revised, with the toe, camber and castor painstakingly adjusted to work with the KWs and spacers. I actually took Marcus a full nine hours (!) to get the arms fitted and everything set up to his liking. Being the perfectionist he is this lead to him working on the car until nearly 9pm on a Friday! What a guy...

So with the new camber arms fitted it was time to bed everything in. And over the course of a fortnight or so, the car felt....TERRIBLE! :scare: The steering became hyper sensitive, the ride was harsh and the car felt highly unstable at speed, with the steering wheel way of centre. I was pretty despondent as having spent a lot of money on suspension components and tuning I was worried I had taken myself down a rabbit warren... :wacko:

However, Marcus did say when he set everything up that it would drift out again a bit whilst everything bedded in and that we would need to make some final adjustments. I took the car back in to him and we got it back on the wheel alignment rig. What we found was almost comical! The wheels were all pointing in different directions and all the settings were waaaaay out! Marcus rolled his sleeves up and got to work adjusting and tweaking everything to bring it back into line. You can see the before and after print offs below. (Note that the toe on the 'after' print out was tweaked further to finalise)

I left the workshop with a sense of major apprehension...

And the results? Absolutely sublime! The car has never felt better. Ride quality has returned and high speed stability is amazing. Turn in is sharp and she feels absolutely nailed down and very confidence inspiring. It feels like it has tied everything together and has made the car feel almost brand new.

At first I begrudged spending all this money on the camber arms as I didn't expect them to make any real differnence to how the car performs. I couldn't have been more wrong. They have made another huge improvement.

If I was doing this all again then I would definitely fit camber arms and coilovers together. Despite the significant outlay, if I had done this sooner it would have saved me a fortune in fitting, adjustment and tyre wear.

Hopefully this will be a useful primer for anyone having difficulties with tyre wear, suspension set ups and thinking about fitting camber arms. Pictures are below. If anyone reading this now or in the future has any questions just let me know.

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Now that the car is in such fine form I am gagging for a proper test drive so have booked to go to Oulton Park on Friday for a track day. It has been snowing today and given rain for Friday, so conditions may not be ideal unfortunately. However, having driven the Sustenpass balls to the wall in heavy rain with waterfalls cascading onto the road, wet weather driving holds less fear these days! Famous last words...

I am also taking somebody with me as I have started dating a girl who is a bit of a petrolhead herself who is bringing her Cooper S to take on track too...that's right....I can confirm am dating a unicorn! :teeth:

Now that the car is in such fine form I am gagging for a proper test drive so have booked to go to Oulton Park on Friday for a track day. It has been snowing today and given rain for Friday, so conditions may not be ideal unfortunately. However, having driven the Sustenpass balls to the wall in heavy rain with waterfalls cascading onto the road, wet weather driving holds less fear these days! Famous last words...

I am also taking somebody with me as I have started dating a girl who is a bit of a petrolhead herself who is bringing her Cooper S to take on track too...that's right....I can confirm am dating a unicorn! :teeth:

I realy need to get mine in to get it set up properly

Great mews you're happy with the kit it was recommended to me by bennet as a great half way house of functionality price and build quality

Goodles news on the new lady aswell mate

Are petrol head as well ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...