Swirl marks everywhere, Do I go pro or use poorboys black hole?

Mikevv

Hi guys, after recently having my wheels refurbished and falling in love with the Zed all over again, I want to address the shoddy paint work.

My car is 95% swirl marks, as the previous owner clearly didn't care what grade of sandpaper he washed my car with.

( For the record, I use a wash mitt and hose it off/clean it after every panel, so I'm not perfect either )

I'm thinking now that the weather is getting better, I might clay the car myself, doing one panel a time, then going crazy with "Poorboys Black Hole" to try and mask the swirls, if not remove some. ( I work nights so it's hard to spend a couple hours cleaning as I need to retain my sleep schedule, and social commitments with the other half )

But from what my limited knowledge is telling me, the Poorboys will just mask it, is this correct? Like it will just fill in the swirls, only to come back in a few washes?

Now my 2nd option is a full paint correction, but I believe this to cost around £400??? That's crazy - Although the level of practice required, added with materials used and sheer man hours, I understand why it costs so much.

I can't afford the full paint correction for now, as I have a holiday booked and other stuff to pay for, so for now I'll give the DIY approach a go, but my real question is, how long does paint correction last?

Can anyone recommend a company near Bournemouth? I was looking at these two, and wondered if anyone had any experience with them :)

http://www.newforestautoclean.com/services/

http://www.detailvalet.co.uk/services.php

Thanks for your time guys and gals :)

The glaze will just come out after a few washes.

It's not correcting the paint, it's filling in the gaps :thumbs:

£400 isn't a full correction either IMHO.

Looking more than that if they are decent.

Edited by RobPhoboS

Ah that's what I was worried about. Thanks for confirming this, albeit bad news :p

Tim @ Envy is pretty close to you I think

http://www.envyvaleting.co.uk/

I had a look at their website, and I might have a chat with him, thank you for the recommendation :)

They say on their website not to use a detergent based wash, as it will undo all their work ( big concern for me ) I use Megs Ultimate Wash, I'm assuming as I cannot find any information on this, that the Megs will be fine to use?

Watch "SOFT99 "NEW SCRATCH CLEAR WAX" ã€SOFT99 TV】" on YouTube

I've ordered this yesterday.

Looks the biz.

Time will tell.

For me the swirls are around the tailgat where my hand opens and closes the boot.

Tried SRP.

Tried Prima Amigo.

Lets see how this compares.

Will post up my findings when it arrives.

• Like 1

I did mine myself, got a daz pro D/A polisher, and the pastes. Takes time but you can do it in stages, as I did mine over a 2,week period. Cost around £140.plus the polish. And a bad back afterwards.

With pro detailing/correction you're not paying for the materials and a bloke standing there with a machine, you're paying for the skill, knowledge and technique. A lot of people think that correction is a piece of cake and that anyone can do it (no-one on this thread so far, I hasten to add!), but the level of skill actually required is very high, not to mention knowing when enough is enough so you don't wreck the finish! :lol:

That said, a DA machine will probably get you close to where you want to be, but ultimately nothing beats a rotary. And therein lies the danger of removing too much paint...

Blackhole is good stuff, but ultimately it's just hiding things. That's not to say I don't use it, it certainly has its place, however it also has limitations.

• Like 1

I've got a DA and have only just started using it. And with a little research and some of the instructional videos that are out there (junkman is very good) plus all of the chemical guys and Ammo NYC vids. I would say an enthusiastic amatuer could get to better than 90% corrected , assuming nothing goes wrong. It's that extra 10% where the skill and knowledge of a pro detailer comes into play. Personally I'm happy with the 90% that I can achieve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 1

I've got a DA and have only just started using it. And with a little research and some of the instructional videos that are out there (junkman is very good) plus all of the chemical guys and Ammo NYC vids. I would say an enthusiastic amatuer could get to better than 90% corrected , assuming nothing goes wrong. It's that extra 10% where the skill and knowledge of a pro detailer comes into play. Personally I'm happy with the 90% that I can achieve

If your car is as bad as you say and you achieve 90% with a DA and some instructional vids I will literally give you a job should you ever need one......I'm not even joking.

You should definitely have a go though. It's very satisfying to do and with a DA is extremely difficult to do any damage (albeit not impossible)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I think you'll find Tim very helpful .............. even if you don't appoint him ............ but he's got a great range of goodies too

Another vote for Tim , he does top drawer work , I've travelled from Newbury to see him

• Like 1

If your car is as bad as you say and you achieve 90% with a DA and some instructional vids I will literally give you a job should you ever need one......I'm not even joking.

You should definitely have a go though. It's very satisfying to do and with a DA is extremely difficult to do any damage (albeit not impossible)

mine isn't quite as bad as he OP...i did have some nasty tick marks on the boot lid (not put in by me i hasten to add) which i managed to remove over the weekend.

i do agree, it is rather satisfying using the DA,especially when the results appear so good.

Ricey....don't think i would want to do it for a living!!

mine isn't quite as bad as he OP...i did have some nasty tick marks on the boot lid (not put in by me i hasten to add) which i managed to remove over the weekend.

i do agree, it is rather satisfying using the DA,especially when the results appear so good.

Ricey....don't think i would want to do it for a living!!

Oh yeah you're not the op are you! :lol:

I used to love doing it at weekends. To be honest I love doing it now but it can be very frustrating at times.

I had my zed done by Tim at evny and he's incredible, the level of detail is very impressive. In my opinion you will spend an absolute age hitting it with a da and if you're like me be very frustrated when the sun hits it and the swirls are all still there . Call Tim would be my advice .

I'll be getting my m3 and brother inlaws z4 done and ceramic coated as soon as funds allow , as I think it's as good as any mod you can do , makes the car look so so much better :)

• Like 1

Ah that's what I was worried about. Thanks for confirming this, albeit bad news :p

Tim @ Envy is pretty close to you I think

http://www.envyvaleting.co.uk/

I had a look at their website, and I might have a chat with him, thank you for the recommendation :)

They say on their website not to use a detergent based wash, as it will undo all their work ( big concern for me ) I use Megs Ultimate Wash, I'm assuming as I cannot find any information on this, that the Megs will be fine to use?

Indeed that's a shampoo that would be totally fine. By detergent free shampoos we mean ones that don't have surfactants, ionic and non ionic surfactants in them

If it has a hazard triangle on the back as well! AutoGlym shampoo funnily enough contains detergent, strips off your wax and hey presto you go back to Halfords and buy more SRP and Extra Gloss protection and AG are happy ;-)

• Like 3

This is the quality of tims work

FBB43D92-D3FA-450A-8611-16BB0085BE1D_zpsdpqdhvhc.jpg

Thanks guys I do my best always.

The cost is not too great on a 350/370z. Nice sized cars, paint hardness is in your favour (thickness however isnt!) and a lt can be achieved.

Wax possibly would be something on these cars I'd not actually recommend after a correction. The modern ceramic coatings (Bodyboarders car had wax the 1st time and a ceramic the 2nd and I'm sure he'd be able to say which looked better and was easier to maintain)

The modern ceramic coatings might cost a little more to apply after but you wont need to top up etc after, just wash them and dry.

If you want to get in touch please send us an email. I'm having to ignore the phone right now due to the sheer amount of machine polishing I'm doing.

Best wishes and thanks to all for the kind words.

Tim

ps good rail links between here and Bournemouth to drop the car off etc ;-)

• Like 2

Just carrying on from Tim really . I've used all the waxs under the sun ..... The ceramic blew them all out the water . It's just another level and is so easy to clean ! After washing it I used to use my blower ( Oo er) to dry it ! No towels required ! Also the ceramic is very hard and resists scratch / swirl marks .

• Like 1