warm start problem

Newton1991

well after buying my z a couple of weeks ago theres been a problem when starting the car when its warm. when i turn the key its cranks over a few seconds longer then starts up but it sounds like it cranks and cranks and cranks then just slightly catches and its a sluggish start, then the revs pick up and its fine. it drives spot on not missing or anything and when its cold its fires up on the first click, its just literally when its warm. I've already changed the oil and filter,air filter because they needed doing and also changed all the spark plugs but still no luck. any help would be grateful

thanks in advance

I think that you may be flooding it.

For a warm start, try, foot on clutch and do not touch the accelerator pedal until it fires up on all 6 cyls.

Isn't that, like, the way that you'd always start a zed? :lol:

I think that you may be flooding it.

For a warm start, try, foot on clutch and do not touch the accelerator pedal until it fires up on all 6 cyls.

Isn't that, like, the way that you'd always start a zed? :lol:

Yes, but the OP has only had the car a few weeks, so perhaps old habits die hard. ;)

well after buying my z a couple of weeks ago theres been a problem when starting the car when its warm. when i turn the key its cranks over a few seconds longer then starts up but it sounds like it cranks and cranks and cranks then just slightly catches and its a sluggish start, then the revs pick up and its fine. it drives spot on not missing or anything and when its cold its fires up on the first click, its just literally when its warm. I've already changed the oil and filter,air filter because they needed doing and also changed all the spark plugs but still no luck. any help would be grateful

thanks in advance

I would check the ECU coolant temp sensor resistance against the manual spec, if its failed or reading incorrectly the ECU will normally add more fuel by default, which makes hot starting difficult , but will be fine on cold start, you may also notice your fuel consumption is a bit higher.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

I would check the ECU coolant temp sensor resistance against the manual spec, if its failed or reading incorrectly the ECU will normally add more fuel by default, which makes hot starting difficult , but will be fine on cold start, you may also notice your fuel consumption is a bit higher.

Been having a similar problem with mine and have actually noticed that fuel consumption has seemed to get worse recently too so might give that a look.

I assume that if this was failing would then it give a unexpected reading on the OBD output viewed on NDS/Torque app etc? The haynes manual doesn't quote any resistance figures for the sensor - do you know what these should be for testing purposes?

When sensors fail they usually stick at one voltage or resistance, but sometimes you just get a restricted scale, without looking at the manual I cant say but its available to download or view on line, or here is a a link to my Skyline 350GT/G35 manual, the engine and most other things are identical.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w3295l7vogl0ars/AABj75oZgLN2zKhl-DwZWFOPa?dl=0

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

i changed the coolant temp sensor but still having the same problem, here is a video of whats happening

its only when the car is warm, when its cold it starts up straight away.

any help from here would be great

thanks in advance

• 2 years later...

Did this ever get sorted? My cars started doing the same...ive changed the bank 1 cam sensor but not bank 2. When the diagnostics were plugged in there were no codes...

Really annoying me now

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread resurrection I’m having the same issue of hard starting when hot. I have changed all the o2 sensors both cam position sensors and ECT sensor, and the maf sensor. I’ve reset the fuel trims. But it’s still there. My next thoughts were fuel pressure or leaking injectors, any thoughts?

Thanks 

Edited by DiscoPotatoes

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 18:48, Newton1991 said:

i changed the coolant temp sensor but still having the same problem, here is a video of whats happening

its only when the car is warm, when its cold it starts up straight away.

any help from here would be great

thanks in advance

The YouTube video following yours is the same warm start problem but on a Nissan Murano, caused by the check valve on the fuel pump. He replaced the fuel pump to fix the problem