Cs2000's Zed Journey

cs2000

On 10/04/2016 at 23:38, davey_83 said:

Love all these updates, how does it feel with the cone filter now?

Thanks mate, glad someone is enjoying them. I haven't actually given it a proper run out yet, so I cant tell. Before-hand I had a generic ebay type popcharger on there (from the previous owner) but obviously there was no heat shroud. The Stillen one has a HUGE filter, easily 2x as big as my previous one, but it is surrounded by a flexible heat shield that also directs air in from the front inlet. The sound hasn't changed at all from the popcharger style filter, but I'm sure on a hot day, with a hot engine bay, that the shroud will help a lot with the air intake temps

On 10/04/2016 at 23:44, SuperStu said:

Impressive spatter :thumbs:

How's the new intake sound?

I know!!! That stuff is everywhere! All of the adjacent bushes are covered in white spots now. As I said in response to Davey, the sound hasn't changed from my generic popcharger style filter, which is a good thing. The Game changer for the sound will be the Berks HFC's and the Invidia N1...

So, more updates!

Today, a tiny UPS man knocked at my door with 2 huge freeking boxes, he struggles to lift them just due to the sheer dimensions of the things, and what was inside...Maybe this gives it away lol.

d0YLOU.jpeg.ee6406a2943ac120bbd86b634840846d.jpeg

Anyway, as far as I, and the manufacturers, JR Racing know, these are the only set of JR5's fitted to a 350z so I had to do a dry run of fitting them with no tyres to ensuire the offsets were correct and there would be no fouling issues, luckily, were spot on, plenty of fitment photos have been sent back to Chris at Tarmac Sports who has sourced basically all of these mods so far.

I had to check a few garages that would fit my own tyres (Falken 453's) to the rims, but I found one in the end. He struggled quite a bit getting 35 profile tyres onto a 10' wide rim, but got there in the end by mounting them rear side first.

I took a bit of time with the wheels off of the car to install the TPMS sensors that I spoke about in a previous post, and to wax the rims on all sides in an effort to try and keep them looking this new for as long as possible.

Complete side view is below. The wheels are Japan Racing JRE 5's in Hyper Black. Essentially a copy of the Varistoen ES3's, but I only got copies as Varistoen aren't manufacturing these wheels anymore. Paintwork is spot on by the way, none of these horror storied you often hear about copies of wheels having terrible finishes.

ER5Hv9.jpeg.d54fe80e203cb7e129853e53d24fb755.jpeg

The TPMS sensor is showing the temps of each rim in this picture

jcNFZC.jpeg.523d6d428cd748c1861c6d03a6be99ca.jpeg

The sensors actually sleep as well, so when I fitted the wheels to the car, the system was showing temperature, but no pressure. After giving it a quick run up the road, within the first 5-10 metres the pressure values started to display. Looks like I need to drop the pressures slightly on all the wheels, especially the front left, but its a great little system that looks OEM thanks to the perfect fitment of the OLED screen.

VCf5Gu.jpeg.45c9650c39ea438d11bca757124e0f15.jpeg

Edited by cs2000
Images
  • Like 3

Glad you all approve guys! I'm loving the wheels. I think next is some arch extensions.

With the wheels being a bit of a trial, they stick out about 2-3cm at the tops. There's plenty of extra clearance on the callipers and the suspension strut, so a different offset would allow the the same size wheel without any issues as far as I can see, but hey-Ho, I knew I was a bit of a Guinea pig!

I'm not keen on putting on excessive camber to correct this and am liking the track slag look the wide wheels with a little dish give, so this just carries on the theme!

Thanks for the comment Matt, I almost sold the Z a few months ago, it was either sell it, or mod it, so glad I chose this route.

This weekend was a testing one....

First job was nice and simple, get rid of the old pastic undertray which was 95% cable ties, and replace it with a Torqen 350z metal one.

JevNmE.jpeg.04e4e05a6e1c86c32a1fd116133a2ca3.jpeg

Yes I know its a crappy picture, but its a very well made piece of kit. Having new bolts and clips is a life saver, but it could do with some proper instructions. It all comes together easily enough however when you're under the car. Il get some pics when she is next off of the ground, probably Wednesday.

Next, I ditched the idea of arch extensions as actually the car has settled since I had it jacked up fitting the wheels and there is only a few mm of tyre tread showing which can be adjusted easily in camber, but i decided to fit some camber arms to the rear. First job was to undo the bolts on the wheel side, no worries with a 2ft breaker bar as they were copper greased. Next, get off the toe bolts....

Had the car on axel stands, wasn't enough clearance for the 2ft breaker bar to turn, tried to slide the 4ft bar in from a different angle, no luck. I trued using heat, and penetrating sprays to no luck.

I then caved in, went and bought an air compressor and a 350lbft rattle gun to try and get the bugger off. Yeah, it didn't even shift a mm. :angry:

So i resorted to jacking up the car with two jacks to the max they would both go and managed to get clearance for the 2ft bar. Using my feet, and someone else to support the other side of the car so it wouldn't move, it turned :D :D :D then the little **** snapped off! :angry:

This was 3:30 on a Sunday, as we all know, shops close at 4. I have a garage appointment with Sly on Wednesday so I physically HAD to get this working. I ended up racing to B&Q and getting the bolt that was the same thickness, but another cm or so longer and some Nyloc nuts. Currently the toe angle is all over the place on both rear wheels but it is secured with two bolts which should get me to Sly's so he can replace them with two proper toe bolts.

In the end, we did get the arms swapped out, so the camber can be adjusted back into spec when lowered on the coilovers, the only casualty was two toe bolts, and having a temporarily very unstable car, squirms all over the place due to the hugely out of spec alignment!

Looking at the sheared bolt, I don't think Godzilla himself could have got this little bugger off, it looks to have well and truly rusted all the way through the bolt and both on the front and rear so I think it was always going to snap, it had no copper grease on it either which didn't help matters.

The trials and tribulations continue Wednesday. Stay tuned...

Edited by cs2000
Images
  • Like 1

First job was nice and simple, get rid of the old pastic undertray which was 95% cable ties, and replace it with a Torquen 350z metal one.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Have a look at the logo on the undertray, is there any U :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear you liked the undertray :)

Installation instructions and pics are available here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/97969-torqen-10-350z-370z-torqen-undertrays/

• Like 1

On 18/04/2016 at 14:34, Adrian@TORQEN said:
On 18/04/2016 at 14:23, cs2000 said:

First job was nice and simple, get rid of the old pastic undertray which was 95% cable ties, and replace it with a Torquen 350z metal one.

JevNmE.jpeg

Have a look at the logo on the undertray, is there any U :lol::lol:

Glad to hear you liked the undertray :)

Installation instructions and pics are available here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/97969-torqen-10-350z-370z-torqen-undertrays/

Haha yeah I realised as soon as id submitted it and corrected it before I thought anyone noticed, but you were quick in there ;)

Quality is great. I did see those instructions and they helped, but things like, what do you use to hold the little trap door up?? I ended up using 10mm panel clips as I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do :shrug: Other than that, perfect.

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

Wednesday was a very long day at Kaizer!

So the job list was as follows;

Berks HFC's

Invidia N1 Exhaust

BC Coilovers

P3 Service

The service I believe was done first, boring so I didn't get any pictures, but next came the exhaust.

The bolts on the old one put up a bit of a fight but eventually it all came off, we unpacked the N1 and this is what we saw.

UDI5BV.jpeg.bfbd2aff290435ce39f33c447551050e.jpeg

Where's the Y Pipe??? SO off to Tarmac's website and I saw this

This system uses a single pipe that attaches to the stock Y-pipe then splits again before the mufflers

This would be fine, except the previous owner already fitted a Powerflow Cat Back system, so I didn't have the stock Y pipe. Damnit.

Somehow, however, Sly has a Y pipe from Clark Motorsports just hanging around, literally. So yeah, SOLD!

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/90183-new-y-pipe-available-from-cms/

NrUkG5.jpeg.cf6ead1fb29e3205a0e2dbfbc8b17278.jpeg

New system mounted up on the rear

lnPeEN.jpeg.a7fde3570e2e088efe69a8f3e4a273e0.jpeg

Fkdd22.jpeg.62af43e1b1f4ed32f5e1e818195df2f1.jpeg

The CMS Y pipe bolted up to the N1

xYut3E.jpeg.bac92190f9f912a47dbec152fc154297.jpeg

The N1's tips actually fit in the standard exhaust holes with no mods :)

sxOlBg.jpeg.6351cf7d267d53f7f149df6930ed0daa.jpeg

I also fitted the Drift Works camber arms on the rear, and Sly supplied the Eibach Toe bolts

kwZ9dg.jpeg.cc90c85520ff0d3a5ce8d6ecdb781da4.jpeg

I didn't get any pictures of the coilovers being installed, but it took the guys literally about 45 mins from start to finish!

The pile of bits removed from the Z

clSwvi.jpeg.7d7f3b38c37fe6363337f406daf9695c.jpeg

There is only one thing missing really in the box with the Invdia N1, this is a set of ear defenders!

Seriously, that, combined with the Berks HFC is absolutely ridiculous! I have tried to fit the silencers that come in the box but they don't fit :( so I need to do some investigation on this.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Sly, he fitted me in with very short notice, and of course thanks to James and Ashton as they spent literally the whole day working on my car with only a couple of tea breaks :D haha. They also didn't mind me standing around like an anxious parent watching them work and asking questions!

More next time.

Edited by cs2000
Images

• 2 weeks later...

Next instalment!

Today was ANOTHER early star meeting the boys from Abbey down on their farm, I think we all know where this is going!

Some pics from the day are below.

Who is that peeking from under a rather sorry looking Skyline shell...

eTh8xZ.jpeg

The patient is on the table

nsP4n9.jpeg

Errr, yeah that's good right... lol (just a random picture from one of the dyno runs)

1mgELF.jpeg

Panorama of the dyno room. Pro tip. If you're going to stand and watch, make sure you have a coat! those fans move a LOT of air!

o4JIdq.jpeg

Final dyno sheet, power was pulled back in a bit in the end from the picture I showed earlier.

X5WLNw.jpeg

A package also turned up on Friday from Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels, My old wheel was functional, but it just didn't look much, and was starting to wear in a few spots, but come on, the car is 12 years old :shock:. I went for the following from Jack. Re-profiled + Flat bottom, Perforated leather on sides, Nappa leather top/bottom section + White centre band at 12 o'clock, BLACK stitching. The total cost was £195.00 plus £100.00 deposit as I went for the exchange option, I just need to return my old wheel to him, and he will refund me the deposit. Very please with the new feel!

PdSsQ3.jpeg

The journey still isn't over, next order has been placed with Chris at Tarmac, so more next time.

Edited by cs2000
Photobucket....
  • Like 1

Haha yes mark just a bit!

The torque improvement Is definitely noticible, plus j was running winter tyres ;)

Gear 3 and 4 feels so quick now, loving it. I am very impressed with marks work at Abbey, but I forgot to ask if they had any abbey Motorsport stickers :(

• Like 1

Just an UpRev remap mate :)

They run the car on their Hubpack dyno and then modify parameters in the ECU to get you more BHP and torque. They recommend of course that you perform all the basic breathing mods, ie plenum spacer, intake, exhaust

Anyone notice Mark had the computer in the Dyno room set to the wrong correction method. With SAE I was showing over 1000 Nm of torque! haha. This was corrected on my printouts though ;)

Edited by cs2000

• 3 weeks later...

SO, after a bit of a delay due to other life things getting in the way, last weekend I managed to get a few bits installed :)

Namely, this was the Tarmac Sportz side steps, and a rear diffuser.

The instructions with Chris's side steps are spot on. YOu just need to drill 6(iirs) holes at set points along the steps which measurements are provided for, then unbolt these and fix them up!

vWAYa7.jpeg.10a66abea8a566dd46db591f325fec77.jpeg

Next was the rear diffuser. I tried using tigerseal for this, but theres actually very little of this that contacts the car... I ended up using tiger seal around the edges (like you would silicone round the edges of a bath tub) and then two pop rivets in the centre element underneath the car which you cant see. Yes, its a crappy picture however. This bear in mind is teamed with the Invidia N1 exhaust.

3WKGT3.jpeg.fd7d0f15606622990bc580bba842f8d4.jpeg

Word of warning, if you have to make ANY enlargements of the exhaust gaps on the standard bumper, this diffuser wont fit. The Invidia 100% fills out these factory made holes, and this JUST fit in place.

Lastly, for now, I caved and bought some graphics. I'm not 100% sold on them TBF, maybe 80% sold, but regardless, I need to buy them again and have someone actually good apply them, there's bubbled etc up close! Guys, let me know what you think! (for those that don't know, its the Nismo side striped and bonnet stripe.)

bNGtsj.jpeg.a158d767dc315f7a249329d4a05de0d8.jpeg

I do have some G35 rear spats which I'm trying to paint, and a front lip which I'm trying to find time to fit, its not as "plug and play" as all of the other parts, looks like its going to need some tender love from the heatgun, some pop rivets and some plain old luck to make it fit correctly. Not that this is a 'fault' of the part, or the manufacturer, its just a fact of life when typing to fit Urethane parts, especially complex shaped ones such as a lip. I'm thinking I may actually paint this item once fitted to the car. Just mask off well and all should be good, or I may not paint it, we shall see!

More next time!

Edited by cs2000
Images
  • Like 1

I'm not a graphics fan in general. These seem OK though. Relatively subtle. It makes it look like a bit like a dealer demo car

I love them, if they're done well. I don't know which cars had these on, but they're actually proper Nissan/Nismo items (mine are of course copies). I like the side stripes, just not 100% on the bonnet one... lol

The car gets loads of looks now with the stripes and the exhaust I think causing most of them. The problem is, I don't know if they're thinking "nice car", or, "what an absolute tool" hahaha.

I like the side stripes, just not 100% on the bonnet one... lol

I know what you mean I think - something about the angle not combining with the lines of the bonnet. But I reckon the side stripes need the bonnet stripes and vice versa

• Like 1