I've Got Wood!! (Woodworking Thread)

DoogyRev

Any woodworkers out there?

I have decided to make some speaker stands, I made some a few weeks ago using MDF and Carpet . . but I don't like them.

So . . Off to the posh wood shop I went B) and purchased some Figured Maple. Holy crap, what a great shop, they had some really nice wood. if only I had a wood lathe :surrender:

But anyway, this is the general idea of what they will look like. Couple of rounds of wood and some Ikea kitchen brackets, and bobs your nob . . a speaker stand or two.

IMG_1264_zpsvhrzy0m8.jpg

(Yes I know the garage needs a tidy :lol: )

I have spent the day sanding away and have one large round looking like this compared to the other one

IMG_1272_zpsroycn80h.jpg

IMG_1273_zps11624uhp.jpg

This has had the first 220 grit sand, it needs going over again,but I will start the other base first.

If anyone out there has any tips for finishing the maple any advice welcome, I am thinking a couple of coats of danish oil to bring out the grain, then waxing to seal.

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 3

If you're not splashing the cash on the feet for the speakers, blutac is an excellent cheapo isolator for the speakers.

I have some speaker spikes . . not sure show Blutac works on Carpet :lol:

For the bookshelf speakers you're planning to sit on these stands you narner!

• Like 1

If you're not splashing the cash on the feet for the speakers, blutac is an excellent cheapo isolator for the speakers.

Ummm who said any thing about bookshelf speakers 😆

I will be putting my floor standers on them :lol:

The speakers I have are fairly slim so don't sit straight on the carpet, and I can't put the spikes in the bottom of them ☹ï¸

Try the three point principle, with adjustable legs at where the legs join the wood. It'll always be level, the taller the speaker, the more accentuated the lean, especially sitting them on carpet. I guess the spikes are adjustable though.

Three legs will look better than four IMO, think milking stool.

As regards finishing, Doogy, Danish oil will look great. It's all in the prep though. You must do the final sanding with the grain, ie the same direction. If not, it will look fine until you start applying the oil and then you will see all the little sanding marks. Give it a wipe with white spirit on a rag first though to get all the sanding dust off.

I am however now intrigued by the "Technical" issue with the coffee table. Haha.

Edited by leonk
  • Like 1

Ummm who said any thing about bookshelf speakers ������

I will be putting my floor standers on them :lol:

The speakers I have are fairly slim so don't sit straight on the carpet, and I can't put the spikes in the bottom of them ☹️

Aren't floor-standers, you know, for standing on the floor? :lol:

As regards finishing, Doogy, Danish oil will look great. It's all in the prep though. You must do the final sanding with the grain, ie the same direction. If not, it will look fine until you start applying the oil and then you will see all the little sanding marks. Give it a wipe with white spirit on a rag first though to get all the sanding dust off.

I am however now intrigued by the "Technical" issue with the coffee table. Haha.

Sorry Jimbo😇😂

What happened to the engine polishing for a table? :shrug:

its still coming along . . just very slowly :lol: A couple of the cylinders are quite heavily pitted, so I am working through getting them sorted before I move on to the polishing. Now the weather is warming up the garage is not freeking freezing either so I will resume on that shortly.

Nout wrong with having a few projects on the go :stir:

The grain on that will look absolutely fantastic once oiled.

Your other option is to shellac it once you've oiled it to seal it

I am hoping so . . I keep watching videos on using dye. Check this video out . . B)

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/tips-tricks/awesome-wood-finishes-curly-maple/

What speakers are you using? I had a lovely pair of Bowers and Wilkins floor standers but sold them when I bought my current house. I do like quality stereo

I have some SoundStage speakers . . that you won't have herd of since I think they are only sold in Canada. They are not anywhere near the quality of my old KEF's . . but that being said, they have a decent sound . . more so for the price I paid for them :lol:

What speakers are you using? I had a lovely pair of Bowers and Wilkins floor standers but sold them when I bought my current house. I do like quality stereo

I have some SoundStage speakers . . that you won't have herd of since I think they are only sold in Canada. They are not anywhere near the quality of my old KEF's . . but that being said, they have a decent sound . . more so for the price I paid for them :lol:

No Richer Sounds in Canada?

Look great, must admit I was a little worried when you said you wanted to show me your wood on FT at the weekend....

• Like 1

No Richer Sounds in Canada?

Look great, must admit I was a little worried when you said you wanted to show me your wood on FT at the weekend....

Is it the same wood as Will's in Wales? I'm worried.