350z known issues

Removed

As with every other car, of course, there are going to be various problems. Normally your dealer would be able to tell you what they are.

But, in order to help you get your issues resolved more quickly, we at 350z-uk.com are providing whatever information we can find for free in order to get your car as good as it should be, and to ensure that your dealer is able to fix the problems that you know exists.

Tyre Feathering

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/B ... 04-043.htm

http://www.bonell.plus.com/350z/tire%20 ... lletin.pdf

Clicking Noise from rear axle

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/B ... 05-002.htm

Creaky Back End

Squeaky Seats

there is now a UK TSB for this too, so your dealer should be able to fix it

Squeaky Brakes

it helps spraying meguiars alloy cleaner on the brake calipers so that it reaches where the pads sit, then hose between the pads and calipers.

Left Speaker Cutting out on CD Play

Quick fix until it's sorted under Warranty is to thump the Passenger Knee pad very hard near the top.

Skipping CDs

a known issue, dealer should be able to get you a replacement head-unit. Don't accept refurbished units, as they will skip again. Ask for units coming from Holland.

Paint Chipping

Quite possibly the biggest single annoyance for 350Z owners Worldwide (see the Class Action Suit against Nissan in the US for this same issue). The Paint Quality of the Z is not great.. stone chips and gentle taps near the fuel filler cap cause the paint to fall off. Nissan of course publically deny the issue, saying that all modern cars have this issue (due to Water Based Paint) and that the large flat design of the front bumper and aggressive driving are the cause.. google "paint protection film" for a solution, at your expenses though.

Gas Struts do not Support Rear Hatch

some owners have had these upgraded under warranty, so ask.

Rear Hatch release button requires multiple presses

quick fix is to put a couple of felt pads at the tip of the spring mechanism and the rubber pads of the hatch that connect, when closed, to the rear bumper.

Handbrake Adjustment required

Even the owners manual, supplied with the car, mentions this particular nuisance. Get it adjusted dy the dealer.

Satellite Navigation Volume

This little beauty can result in the Sat Nav and the Phone kit having conversations between themselves, and people three or four cars back will be able to hear that you've missed your turning :)

Door Card Trim Rattles

• 5 months later...

The link above seems to be broken, found this one instead:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Service: ... _Rear_Axle

I've just picked up my first 350z and have been disappointed to find a click coming from the rear, actually I'd describe it as clunk like someone has left a screwdriver in a place you can't get too and its rolling bck & forth under breaking and acceleration. In fact it did it while pulling on to my drive which is on a slope!

Karl

Handbrake Adjustment required

Even the owners manual, supplied with the car, mentions this particular nuisance. Get it adjusted dy the dealer.

I hadn't heard about this one before - interesting as on my 04 Z I picked up yesterday the handbreak def needs adjustment. Does anyome know if this is taken care of under warranty?

Cheers

Ian

Right, I feel like a real muppet now. It turns out that the glove compartment (behind the passenger seat) has a shelf and low and behold under the shelf was a screwdriver. Clunking fixed :D

Out of curiosity, why was there a screw driver there???

Is the car new or previously owned cos mine never came with one :wacko:

The car was previsouly owned and I guess the previous owner left it in there.

Karl

I had a similar rattle from my left hand side front area.. found a Snap -On screwdriver a mechanic had left in battery compartment.. probably in Japan when alarm system was fitted ..RESULT :teeth:

• 6 months later...

adding this as found on already a couple of cars that have been tracked regularly: from MRC Motorsports over the pond

" Recently while removing the gas tank from our shop car, we discovered that the aluminium subframe had a MAJOR crack in it. This may not be an issue for most owners, but the particular car were talking about was an early model 2003 with approximately 90,000 miles on it and was daily driven and drag raced and auto crossed religiously. The car was driven very hard its entire life, and launched many times on slicks. At this point we do not know what may have caused it, if it was the hard driving or simply structural fatigue or an issue with the integrity of the metal.

I do not want to even imagine the outcome had this broken completely in half at 130mph..

I strongly recommend all owners, especially those who drag race or autocross or road race, put their cars up on jack stands or a lift and inspect their rear aluminium subframe periodically. At this time we are in the process of finding a fix for the issue, as we feel this is a serious safety concern. We have seen slight cracking on 2 other cars in the past.."

• 1 year later...

Had an issue with a rattle from rear left....like a left over screw driver....as mine is an 08 it could not be the rear axle...but it was a plastic bit in the boot on the left of the spare wheel that knocked on the metal bucket where the spare wheel sits....

A bit of blue tac and problem solved..... :thumbs:

Trim rattles are really annoying and i didnt expect the Z to suffer from them....felt so solid when i bought it.... :rant:

As an owner/ex-owner of italian cars i am used to trim rattles tho....blue tac always did the trick.... :lol:

The skipping CD and poor handbrake are both known faults and should be rectified under warranty. The boot struts can be uprated to compensate for the heavier Nismo spoiler and some of the traders on here do them. That said, some would argue that since Nismo is the official tuning arm of Nissan, they should also be covered under the warranty.

1. Skipping CD's

2. Handbrake adjustment (doesn't hold car on hills)

3. Rear Gas Struts

are these under warranty on a jap import?

doubt the gas struts are as it has a NISMO rear spoiler

or how much should I expect to pay my dealer for each fix?

any help much appreciated!

They are all covered under warranty, but Nissan UK won't cover your JDM.

• 9 months later...

My 2003 UK 350 has developed the 'click' from the rear left.

Will this be covered by warranty even though the car is now 6 years old and the original warranty has expired? If not how much should i be expecting to pay a dealer to rectify?

Thanks,

Chris

• 8 months later...

hi all,

noticed today that the left speaker on the door was cutting out! :scare:

unfortunatly my warranty doesnt cover electrical issues!!(mug)

so what is the best way to rectify this problem so it stops cutting out?

hope someone can help!

thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

I have an issue where I get a clunking noise from the rear when pulling off from a cold start either left overnight or left for a longish period of time. It used to be very occasional, but now its becoming more frequent.

Never happens again once it happens once whilst pulling off at the start of the journey.

Can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Is it different to rear clicking axle as its not under constant stopping and pulling off.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have an issue where I get a clunking noise from the rear when pulling off from a cold start either left overnight or left for a longish period of time. It used to be very occasional, but now its becoming more frequent.

Never happens again once it happens once whilst pulling off at the start of the journey.

Can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Is it different to rear clicking axle as its not under constant stopping and pulling off.

Thanks

most likely your brakes sticking mate ,do the discs look tarnished before it happens?