Is my clutch on its way out.

Dicky

I've got a 2004 Z with 76k of fairly normal driving on the clock. My drive is moderatly steep and I had to reverse up it today. The clutch didn't seem to like the experience because it made a fairly hi pitched whining noise as I drove up. Dipping the clutch and trying again produced the same noise,there was a little bit of a smell as well, however the car did move backward.

Anyone else noticed this affect. Is it normal or do you think the clutch is on its way?

Yep reverse was fully engaged. I'm thinking I may have revved the engine a bit to high to counter the slope but I'm sure a new clutch wouldn't whine so much.

Can't comment on the night of the clutch pedal as I've nothing to compare its height to. I didn't take a mental note on its height when new.

Im going to have to reverse up the drive again tomorrow so I'm going to take it very easy and see if it happens again.

Yes your clutch is on the way out - To be fair they all are wearing out from the minute you start using them.

However what you describe sounds like you slipped the clutch a bit to much getting it hot (the smell) the noise could be a dry thrust bearing as that does happen otherwise it could be a bit of glazing of the plate from overly slipping and therefore overheating the clutch plate - if so a good drive should clean it off again, or it's metal on metal which would imply the plate is down to the rivets, if that's the case though you should notice clutch slip - put the car in a high gear at a slow speed and floor the throttle if the revs rise quickly but the car accelerates slowly you have slip and it's time to change if not you should be good for a few more miles.

On a side note if you are at 76K and on the first clutch it will at least be worn meaning less "meat" on it so it will be prone to getting hotter quicker when doing things like reversing up a steep drive.

Hope that helps at least a little :)

K

• Like 3

yep had similar in a previous Ford, You rev but the car isnt moving to those revs, Another test is the third gear test, apparently if it judders then stalls, youre done, if its moves slightly and you can get momentum to get the car moving then you still have life left, as said above, Im assuming mine is very worn but I can get it moving in third and its not slipping yet, 83k miles, i do get a smell under heavy load, if I floor it and hit high revs lol, mine is half way, no slipping yet,

It can probably go for a while yet unless I constantly boot it everywhere,

• 4 years later...

@Dicky did you ever get to the bottom of this? My house is on a steep-ish hill with little manoeuvre room so it can be a pain to reverse park

Past two times there's been a weird smell, drives ok though but the clutch pedal has become a little spongy / noisy when it's being operated etc 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mikey_S

I’m assuming your post dated March 3 was 2021. If so I apologies for the delay in responding, I don’t log on very often these days.

The issue I posted about I’ve also experienced driving into my garage. The smell I’m certain is from the clutch and I’m fairly certain it’s due to over revving as I try to release the clutch pedal slowly so as not to go in to fast, same when reversing up my Fairley steep drive.

if I reduce the rev’s I don’t get the smell.

Don't get any noises from the clutch pedal nor experienced any sponginess, but if I did, I’d suspect the clutch release bearing for noise and possible heat from the clutch heating the fluid in the cylinder causing the sponginess. Hope that helps

Thanks @Dicky

I hadn't seen the response above the latest.

Yeah I think think mine was due to over revving. Not experienced it since and pedal is back to normal. It had a squeak the other day but that's ironed itself out now also.   

Cheers for the info