Over the moon!

JetSet

10 hours ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Welcome to 2008-2009. Still a few years to catch up... :( 

Bastards are spending money on football matches rather than improving the backbone of the economy in a digital era! Internet speed in UK, which is supposed or used to be one of the top economies in the world, it's absolutely ridiculous. 

They did offer me a faster package, 75mb but I didn't think it was worth the extra £ . Its true though, The U.K lags well behind the rest of the world.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

O.K, so I went live this morning, only the second customer on that infinity box according to the OpenReach engineer. Should have been live on the 21st but BT either forgot or weren't informed. For now I'm using the crappy router provided by TalkTalk as the settings on my regular router need to be changed. Anyway, first initial speed test was 5mb, 10 minutes later it was up to 12mb and after a few hours it settled down to 39.5mb. I do need to look at why the ping is around 130 which means web pages don't load as fast as I would like but that can be sorted in time. Did a couple of test downloads of around 150mb and everything looks good.

Pete

On 11/23/2017 at 20:41, Ekona said:

Also with a ping of 130 you'll be terrible at CoD ;):lol:

Yeah, I've added a dual band wifi extender and that's reduced the ping to 80 :surrender:. 2 problems here, our house is old and has solid interior brick walls and secondly, I'm banned from laying any ethernet cables :blush:. Next step is to get a better router, looking at the Netgear Nighthawk range.

Pete

32 minutes ago, JetSet said:

Yeah, I've added a dual band wifi extender and that's reduced the ping to 80 :surrender:. 2 problems here, our house is old and has solid interior brick walls and secondly, I'm banned from laying any ethernet cables :blush:. Next step is to get a better router, looking at the Netgear Nighthawk range.

Pete

You could try using a powerline adapter helps with not having wifi ping xD

Thanks for the help and suggestions :thumbs:. I've used Netgear routers and WAP's in the past, in fact I'm using one as a bridge right now. My main problem is the sheer amount of devices I need to attach. There's Laptops, TV's and Sky boxes, Printers (Caroline has some specialized hardware for her crafting hobby), a tablet, several desktop computers and mobile phones.  I need to look into powerline adapters but the layout of my house and the thickness of the walls mean I'd need several of them (and more cables). Anyway, priority number one is a decent router, the one supplied by TalkTalk is rubbish. Interestingly, I'm seeing a BT router pop up now and again on my  network, they must put out an amazing signal as the nearest possible one would be at least 120 yards away !

Pete

O.K, I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk X6 router and that has solved my ping time, it's down to around 25-30 now. As far as connections go, I realized that nearly all of my devices were using 2.4mhz so I enabled 5.0mhz on those that I could and bought a few dual frequency USB network sticks and that has alleviated the connection problems :thumbs:

Pete