Avery Gloss Pearl White 350z Build Thread

shaun350z

So I’ve had my Z for 4 months now and I absolutely love it! It’s a 2004 Black 350z GT Low mileage, Mint interior, Bodywork was mint considering its age (few door dents and stone chips in front bumper/bonnet)

mv420b.jpgtC2AVy.jpg

I have always loved the Z series, however initially not of 350 kind though… Z’s have been a part of my life since I was young due to my Dad owning and restoring this blue 240Z.

Dyoobs.jpg7lMGic.jpg

However more recently he embarked on a slightly bigger and slightly different project, a BMW m3 super charged powered 240z :scare:

uIbMFD.jpgmnpkXp.jpg

This is when I really fell in love with Z’s. I was just finishing university and needed a little project to fill my spare time with before I got a job! So during my spare time I helped my Dad restore/build this beast and it got me thinking and excited to start my own project :teeth: I don’t plan on anything as extreme as the M3 240z, but I have some cool plans and want a nice log of the project.

If you’re bored and want to have a look at the m3 240z build, link is below:

http://zclub.net/for...ead.php?t=20359

Introduction finished now onto my plans :)

Exterior

New Work Emotion CR Kiwami + centre caps

Rear Bumper tuck

G35 Rear Spats/Splash Guards

350z Tarmac Sportz FRP Side Diffusers

Gloss Black door handles

Modified DEPO black housing headlights

06+ LED Rear Lights

Pearl/White Brake Calipers

Boot Gas Struts

Rear wiper delete

Window tints

Under seal

370z side repeaters

Vehicle Wrap (Avery Gloss Pearl White)

JDM Clear bumper light

Interior

LED bulbs

Tablet install (maybe?)

Re-profiled and trimmed steering wheel (courtesy of Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels)

Gear knob

Black seats

Performance/Engine Bay

Performance

ARK Grip True Dual Exhaust

Whiteline bushes

Whiteline ARBs

Ultra-Racing brace (to replace the rusted rear W brace)

Panel filter

Engine Bay

Painted engine/battery/fluid covers,

Carbon fibre slam panel

Edited by shaun350z
  • Like 2

You've a nice Zed Shaun but your old mans are in a different league.

I like the old school Zeds and one thing I really love is when people do what your Dad has done, ...combine the reliability & power of a modern engine/drivetrain with the looks of an older classic car. Fantastic. :yahoo::cloud9:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So to catch up on the mods I have done so far... Before the real fun starts next week! :teeth:

26/09/2015 Full engine and drivetrain service

14/11/2015 JDM Clear indicator light + LED bulbs

zpz3Go.jpg

09.01.2016 New Carbon fibre slam/cooling panel and Tomei gear knob + alacantara gear gaitor

zK7f3I.jpgW6DPBu.jpg

13.03.2016 Re-profiled steering wheel (courtesy of Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels) Black Nappa Leather Top/Bottom, Perforated Leather sides, White stitching and white '12 o'clock stripe'

FRtvxB.jpgzfhxsI.jpg

YgT7Sh.jpg

That is everything to date, however I have dedicated the whole of next week to work on the Z and get a lot of the items on my plan ticked off! So watch this space!! ;)

Edited by shaun350z

Im the same as you on the Zs. Loved the old 240s and i now have a black 350Z hr ( i agree black is best but then again i would )

Never really thought as much of the 350s compared to the 240s but now i prefer the 350. It looks more of a brute. Has a nice stance and a nice wide appearance. Ps your car looks great

• Like 1

Its been a busy week but finally got some of the tougher jobs out the way...

28.03.2016 Undersealed, ultra racing brace, 370z side repeaters! New Exhaust!

Underseal

Although the car wasn't that rusty underneath I decided to do it whilst I was replacing the exhaust to make sure everywhere was covered

BEFORE:

4A24D1A4-88D2-4F6B-9043-E5C9F6657A9B_zpsnesat7jv.jpg

AFTER:

C2F1432D-49AC-4919-A235-28D468ABFF04_zpsdeb5gyav.jpg

370z Side Repeaters

Next was to remove the OEM side indicators and replace with OEM 370z side repeaters, I did some research and managed to find a template (I think it was from the US Z forum) which I only use to find the centre as I fitted mine slightly different...

Step 1: Remove the original filler hiding the OEM recess (which coincidently is approximately the same size as the 370z side repeater :lol: )

ADFC7F6D-6897-4EAC-A6BA-15D806915694_zpsfc16tvzk.jpg

Step 2: Using the template, I centre punched the centre, found a slightly oversized hole saw and cut a hole in my wing :scare: to fit the back side of the repeater

81E93691-862C-4F65-83CA-760E654A52EA_zps6dmoawpd.jpg

FC2FCEE5-EA2C-4EBA-8C03-881D2EDC855B_zpsnr8mx2ag.jpg

Step 3: This step took the longest... but it had to be precise other wise the repeater would just fall out at any sign of bump! So it was a case of file some metal away, trial fit the repeater, file some metal away, trial fit the repeater etc. But after a couple of hours and countless trial fits the repeater fit perfectly! Also connected it to the original indicator wires via a 2-way multi plug connector to test if it worked! I obviously then done the other side :)

http://vid1305.photo...zpsbqivgtzz.mp4

Step 4: Next was to weld in a plate to block the OEM indicator hole and start filling the panel. My Dad came up with an ingenious idea for filling the 370z repeater hole by using a roll of tape the exact size of the recess B)

D32BE5AB-6E91-4621-B07D-C467A68DBA58_zpskno7bqpi.jpg

F32F00D7-CC79-4196-8382-15F15682D758_zpshuousk16.jpg

A885EF43-6661-4E19-A0D6-0498FB285B45_zpssppe3v7p.jpg

Step 5: After a couple of passes of the filler it was time for paint! Due to the car being wrapped in the future I wasn't looking for a professional paint finish, but I also didnt want it to stand out whilst I used it before it got wrapped.

Grey primer

1200890D-0B93-429C-BCCF-1E311E593AD1_zpsgzks9bvf.jpg

Black base coat and lacquered

89DF092D-FB1F-4DA0-9307-D6917725561D_zpse1gpwpak.jpg

Wet and dry sanded, polished and repeater installed!

EEAE77AA-CE92-49BD-BD5B-36839F282AA3_zpsgkmznz54.jpg

Edited by shaun350z
  • Like 4

Exhaust & Ultra racing brace

Following undersealing and side repeaters installed, It was time for the bit I was looking most forward to doing, the ARK Grip cat-back exhaust bought from Tarmac Sportz! Big Thank you to Chris!

Nicely laid out ready to be installed :teeth:

4ED53D38-9328-4872-A271-19643BD495DF_zpsjjpsaxjh.jpg

All installed along with the ultra racing brace! I have never installed an after market exhaust before but the fitment and shear quality of this exhaust made it so simple! Took as much as 30mins to install!

B0CE7513-E6F1-4AAB-AC84-443CC0281FD6_zpscf6acztk.jpg

I dont know if this is the same with all true dual systems for the 350z but I had to remove the differential cover and a bracket near the fuel tank which I think acted as a heat shield so I decided to fabricate one out of some leftover heat shield from the m3 240z build!

288C0357-9B8D-44AF-8632-A05919510B56_zpsoylq9jxo.jpg

And the all important sound clip around 3-5k revs http://vid1305.photo...zpsg0y0vs1q.mp4

The smoke and moisture on the floor was because I had just jet washed it to remove some of the filler dust from the bodywork, damn stuff gets everywhere! :lol:

43fc0de2-36fa-4bbd-98ea-d7933dab0f13_zps6fr6nzxt.jpg

Edited by shaun350z

Great choice of exhaust! Go hit the magical 3-5k when driving beside tall buildings / in a tunnel. Unbelievable sound! I initially had drone but that completely disappeared after about 600 miles. It sounds better every day.

Edited by colesl4w
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying this build thread, keep up the good work!

I'm looking to undercoat my zed, could you give some advice/details on what you used and how you did it? Fairly straight forward?

Cheers

Pete :D

Hi Pete,

Its pretty straightforward if you have access to a car ramp, would hate to do it on jacks and axle stands your face will be a mixture of rust and under seal!! :lol: Whatever method your going to use, its definitely worth doing now, before holes start appearing! :surrender:

Step 1: Remove any plastic under panels/heatshields

Step 2: Using a wire wheel and drill/wire brush remove any surface rust, for any bad rust patches use a rust converter (I used Hammerite rust remover on the rear brace mounts which worked pretty well)

Step 3: Mask any items you dont want to spray i.e. heatshields, exhaust system, rubber mounts etc.

Step 4: Spraying, I used 3M underseal with an airline and spray gun, I would recommend a mask and painters suit as the under seal gets everywhere (4 tins gave me 3-4 coats waiting 10-15mins between coats) Make sure to spray from different angles/directions to cover any awkward areas!

Step 5: After leaving the final coat to dry remove any masking and re-fit any panels removed! You may need to clean any threads with a spare bolt to remove any under seal from them!

JOB DONE! :)

I'm looking to undercoat my zed, could you give some advice/details on what you used and how you did it? Fairly straight forward?

Cheers

Hi Pete,

Its pretty straightforward if you have access to a car ramp, would hate to do it on jacks and axle stands your face will be a mixture of rust and under seal!! :lol: Whatever method your going to use, its definitely worth doing now, before holes start appearing! :surrender:

Step 2: Using a wire wheel and drill/wire brush remove any surface rust, for any bad rust patches use a rust converter (I used Hammerite rust remover on the rear brace mounts which worked pretty well)

Step 3: Mask any items you dont want to spray i.e. heatshields, exhaust system, rubber mounts etc.

Step 4: Spraying, I used 3M underseal with an airline and spray gun, I would recommend a mask and painters suit as the under seal gets everywhere (4 tins gave me 3-4 coats waiting 10-15mins between coats) Make sure to spray from different angles/directions to cover any awkward areas!

Step 5: After leaving the final coat to dry remove any masking and re-fit any panels removed! You may need to clean any threads with a spare bolt to remove any under seal from them!

Awesome reply! Much appreciated :) Need to get the stuff gathered up and get to it. My mate has a ramp I can use some Sunday afternoon.

Side question- I see you have plans for a rear diffuser, has this changed since fitting the ARK exhaust and cutting the bumper etc? Curious as to the possibilities and how they would look.

Cheers!

Pete

Cheers

Hi Pete,

Awesome reply! Much appreciated :) Need to get the stuff gathered up and get to it. My mate has a ramp I can use some Sunday afternoon.

Side question- I see you have plans for a rear diffuser, has this changed since fitting the ARK exhaust and cutting the bumper etc? Curious as to the possibilities and how they would look.

Cheers!

Pete

No problem Pete! Regarding the rear diffuser, I haven't cut the rear bumper but have just tucked it using some self drilling screws to the aluminium crash brace above, so it's all reversible if I ever decide I want a rear diffuser, but I think I'm going to leave the bumper tuck as it is and instead get some rear spats

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/350Z_FRP_NISMO_STYLE_GLOSS_BLACK_REAR_SPATS/350SPAT-BL_.aspx

• Like 1

Cheers

Hi Pete,

Cheers!

Pete

No problem Pete! Regarding the rear diffuser, I haven't cut the rear bumper but have just tucked it using some self drilling screws to the aluminium crash brace above, so it's all reversible if I ever decide I want a rear diffuser, but I think I'm going to leave the bumper tuck as it is and instead get some rear spats

http://www.tarmacspo...50SPAT-BL_.aspx

I was dead set on a rear diffuser and was planning on a buddy club exhaust. However those ARK grips look insane, especially with the bumper tuck/cut, and they seem to be a bit less mental than a Buddyclub, so now I have some decisions to make!

Spats have never been my cup of tea but I'm a fan of what's been done so far so following with interest to see how the car takes shape!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been a slow couple months recently as the Z has taken a back seat as Ive been spending time/money on making my own DIY CNC machine which I will be hopefully using to do some bits and peices to the zed! If anyone wants anything cut (cutting area is approx 800mm x 600mm) im happy to try and help! (obviously at a small price ;)) Only recently finished it and I have already finished cutting one of my mates university project! 20ish sheets of 9mm OSB and countless hours of cutting! (if anyone is wondering its a flat pack homeless shelter! And its supposed to look unfinished/being assembled :lol: )

DBA4D8F0-9ACC-444E-B3AE-080D441F8E32_zpsukdaod1g.jpg3420E8D6-0E0B-48BA-B9CE-3DE15AEB7327_zpstmb6cjfd.jpg

Anyway back to the Z!

06/05/2016 New Number Plates / New seats / Wrapping Plans

Recently purchased a private number! At £250, I thought it was bargain! Also removed the front plate holder

546ACD95-E4BB-478C-A845-A0CBC5E8007C_zpsnvo1aos3.jpg

E64F818A-8A53-44C8-85CA-F86D63DF54EA_zpskmdowzpv.jpg

Also purchased a set of gloss black badges which will hopefully be fitted next month after it gets professionally wrapped! Will upload some pics when its done! :teeth:

But before that I need to swap out my tan seats for a pair of black ones that I bought from the forum, and do some minor bodywork repairs i.e. stonechips in the bonnet/bumper and a few dents in the doors!

90E9577F-79A2-4F8C-B4A8-5E42C07B7844_zpspqnprkwj.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work, is the front number plate on the wonk or is it my wonky eyes?

I aligned it with the edge of the grill so should be straight, I think its the slight gap between the plate and the body thats making it look wonky! I was installing it at night under a flood light so it might be wonky I will have a look tonight! :lol:

• Like 1