Thinking of selling

MarkW

I have been thinking of selling the Zed for a few months now, partly for financial reasons but mostly now because I have a back problem which also gives me pain in my left arm and leg. It seems to be getting worse and I dont think the car is helping.

So dull I know, but was thinking about getting a more comfortable car, and a quick-ish diesel to reduce costs. I also think an auto would help. Ive never liked them, but Ive had a drive in a VW with the DSG gearbox and quite liked it.

This led me to the Golf 170 Tdi DSG, but they are quite expensive and poorly equipped, so now i'm thinking of sticking with Petrol and going for a Golf GTi with DSG so I still get to keep some performance as well.

This brings me on to selling the 350Z. As the car I will be buying will be cheaper, I'm only going to get a crap px from dealers so would rather sell privately.

Its due a service in 1500 miles, I have a warranty issue with a blocked winscreen wiper jet, and unfortunately the alloys are scuffed (one of them badly). Most of these were done before I bought it and ive just never got round to getting them done. The car also has the usual stone chips and a couple of tiny car park door dings you can only see when its clean in sunlight. Other than that is is in excellent condition and has been looked after and cleaned regularly inside and out.

My question is, do I get the car restored to mint condition before I advertise it (will sort the wipers anyway), or do I just sell it as it is for a few hundred pounds less. I dont really want to fork out on getting alloys refurbed etc if I wont get the money back on the sale.

Any comments on selling appreciated, or on my replacement car options.

Also, would I be better off waiting a few months to sell? There seems to be quite a few Zeds for sale at the moment.

Cheers

Hello Mark W, sorry to hear about the back problems, I know anyone is different but my sister had a Golf Tdi and had to get rid of it after about 6 months as it was really bad for her back problems, now got an audi A3 loves it.

Hello Mark W, sorry to hear about the back problems, I know anyone is different but my sister had a Golf Tdi and had to get rid of it after about 6 months as it was really bad for her back problems, now got an audi A3 loves it.

Now that surprises me! Audi's are notoriously firm and since its a Golf in different clothes I'm surprised its made a difference.

Yeah Mark, similar comments from the other guys..... and sorry to hear about your back.

I had a VW Passat a few years ago (company car) and had the sports suspension as well, but what I found was that the seats are very hard and difficult to get comfy in, especially for long distances...... in fact it gave me back problems as I was doing a lot of miles. so I'd seriously take a long drive in either a VW or Audi first.....

To be fair though, I did have an A3 sport later and that was better than the Passat but still very firm...... in my experience, the zed is a much easier car to feel comfy in, especially for long distances.

Not trying to put you off...... just giving my experience on those brands.

;)

I would get it restored. Makes it easier to sell and it will save you money because if someone else has to go to the troubleof restoring the problems, they will want more off than the true cost.

Sorry to hear about your back problem. Are you seeing a chiropractor.

Sell your current Z and buy a JDM with the tiptronic box. :thumbs:

I too had back problems for years and switching (reluctantly at first) to auto boxes has helped enormously. I'm very comfortable in the Z. :D

That could help if you think about it, cos the clutch being very heavy in older Zeds, could be causing you to sit funny etc? Either that or get a newer 06 onwards model, due to much lighter clutch etc but thats not going to help finiancially!

Sorry to hear about the back problems, it's one of the worst pains IMO.

I would agree with some of the comments re: comfort of the VAG stuff.

If you want a back saviour, go for a Volvo or a Merc if that is the main driver for changing the car. A CLK 270 CDi wouldn't be a bad shout, but it depends how much of the boy racer is left in you!! ;)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I spent an hour driving a passat and golf on Saturday and felt really comfortable. There is quite a lot of adjustment in the seats, and the steering does rake/reach too. I got back in the Zed to drive home and within 5 mins I was in pain....maybe it was just coincidence.

I had an A4 Sport before the Zed, and found the ride hard and seats uncomfortable to be honest........:headhurt:

Dont snigger, but I test drove a Honda Civic too and that was really comfortable, but they only do manuals.

Not really sure what to do for the best, but I cant justify spending any more than my cars currently worth.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I spent an hour driving a passat and golf on Saturday and felt really comfortable. There is quite a lot of adjustment in the seats, and the steering does rake/reach too. I got back in the Zed to drive home and within 5 mins I was in pain....maybe it was just coincidence.

I find the same every time I get out of a Vauxhall, it's not until I move I realise how bad the seats are...... :dry:

[quote name="H5" A CLK 270 CDi wouldn't be a bad shout, but it depends how much of the boy racer is left in you!! ;)

You mean like this one......are they any good?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/328536.htm

Looks quite nice in an old man kind of way, but looks comfy and is auto. What are they like for performance and economy. Will do some googling....

I would get it restored. Makes it easier to sell and it will save you money because if someone else has to go to the troubleof restoring the problems, they will want more off than the true cost.

+1

If you are selling, i would get it all repaired yourself, people dont want the hassle of correcting things once they have just bought a car, they want to get in it and drive.

I know what you mean about back problems, i have had problems for years but never found the zed to cause any issues. I wouldnt sell to be honest, but thats just me.

Good luck on your choice

[quote name="H5" A CLK 270 CDi wouldn't be a bad shout, but it depends how much of the boy racer is left in you!! ;)

You mean like this one......are they any good?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/328536.htm

Looks quite nice in an old man kind of way, but looks comfy and is auto. What are they like for performance and economy. Will do some googling....

Yeah, that sort of thing maybe, since you mentioned diesel.

Performance on that would be 170bhp and 0-60 in 9.1s.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/339154.htm

This above would be 220bhp, 60 in 6.7s.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/293055.htm

This would be 185bhp and 60 in about 8.8s.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/280861.htm

You should know all about this one!

:teeth:;)

The most comfortable car iv ever driven/sat in is my fathers new shape Lexus GS300, the suspension & seats are more comfy than a Rolls royce. I would suggest maybe the smaller Lexus IS models as a good secong hand buy. Or maybe an import Lexus SC model

I agree with the get it repaired yourself first if selling privately, you want those that look around to see yours as ready to go / less hassle and well cared for, reason to pick yours over others.

Similarly if trading in, less work to do to move on or put on forecourt and reduces arguments for dropping price down.

Re. brands and seats, having had very many hire cars on long runs of different types and run a few cars myself, I've found some curious differences e.g. Audi I found actual seats good on short runs but after longer time e.g. 2 hrs not so good, the Lexus's have all been very comfortable seats and not issues, Saab again good seats, surprisingly the RX-8 was more comfortable than I thought it would be. smaller cars generally aren't so gd on longer runs, there was a site I saw a couple of years ago that had some data on car seats, the comfort and safety. Obviously this is my experience and we don't all have the same backs.

I'll have a look around for that site/review and post it if I find it. Hope the back gets better as fast as possible.

I think the only auto Civic is in the petrol 1.8 which is too weedy :teeth: Same bhp as the diesel but only half the torques.

I dont mind the look of the new Lexus, but mf g'f hates it...might still have a look tho.

The main reason for the Golf is the DSG box...I really quite liked it and every other auto ive driven ive hated.

In the last 2 years ive seen 2 physiotherapists, a chiropractor, accupuncturist, neurologist, rheumatologist and osteopath! After all that its still getting worse and I had an MRI scan last week and get the results on Friday......

In the last 2 years ive seen 2 physiotherapists, a chiropractor, accupuncturist, neurologist, rheumatologist and osteopath! After all that its still getting worse and I had an MRI scan last week and get the results on Friday......

Hope everything is ok from your MRI mate...

I agree with the rest of the guys, get the dings knocked out and the wheel fixed or replaced (ebay?). Wouldn't be to bothered regarding the chip marks, you could be there all day with that one. I'd look at treating the most noticeable stuff. Good Luck mate :thumbs:

[ In the last 2 years ive seen 2 physiotherapists, a chiropractor, accupuncturist, neurologist, rheumatologist and osteopath! After all that its still getting worse and I had an MRI scan last week and get the results on Friday......

I had an MRI scan on my back last year as a result of seeing an orthopaedic surgeon. He took one look at the scan results, identified the problem straight away and then recommended a course of steroid injections. I wouldn't say that it's 100% now, but certainly one hell of a lot better than before, and that was after going down all the sames routes as you with physios, chiropractors, etc.

The general consensus is get it sorted then, so can anyone recommend wheel repairers in the Solihull/Birmingham area? Ive got a GT4 with the ltd edition wheels and I seem to remember a thread on here in the past with people having difficulty getting a good repair/colour match on these wheels.

Ive got a mate who works for chipsaway so ill have a chat with him, but he's not local unfortunately.

Trev - thanks for that. I had an MRI 2 years ago when it first started which showed nothing, but its worse now so maybe they will find something this time.

The general consensus is get it sorted then, so can anyone recommend wheel repairers in the Solihull/Birmingham area? Ive got a GT4 with the ltd edition wheels and I seem to remember a thread on here in the past with people having difficulty getting a good repair/colour match on these wheels.

Ive got a mate who works for chipsaway so ill have a chat with him, but he's not local unfortunately.

Trev - thanks for that. I had an MRI 2 years ago when it first started which showed nothing, but its worse now so maybe they will find something this time.

www.wheelrefurbishing.com :)

Have you thought about a Saab - by far the most comfortable car I've ever driven - really nice. :)

It's probably what I'll look to next, as being a petrolhead in the UK is getting very difficult indeed. And besides, I'd hate to have some half-hearted sporty saloon thing - it's all or nothing for me next time around.

You are quite right about the VW range though, you get nothing for your money. Having recently driven both the Jetta and the Passat they are terribly equipped. The Mondeo range is pretty well equipped, and the Ghia X seats are lovely :blush: Last of the line models should be cheap now.

I had an A4 S line for a while, that was nice but hugely expensive for what it really was.

Have you looked at the Honda Accord, or maybe the Mazda 6?

Mark,

I'd definitely get the work done, it'll be worth it. ESPECIALLY if you can find any corrosion on the wheels and get them done under warranty - I just did that on my GT4 and got them painted anthracite colour too B)

My body work guy charges £25-£30 per wheel to refurb and repaint. He's in Mansfield though so a 1.5hr drive from you??? He's called Steve and his number is 07971 690 944 should you need it.

As for comfort I am right there with you. My GT4 is going TODAY and I'm most likely to get a VW Touareg (5 litre V10) as a replacement. A big difference from the 350z but 7.8secs 0-60 is not too bad and of course there's the off road fun to be had.

Good luck with the sale.