I 3D scanned my my zed

jabusby

Hey guys

I decided to scan my new Zed at the weekend using a new technique that we have developed. It wasn't ideal conditions for the scan, Snow, Rain, Hail so the results are not as good as they can be and there is a lot of noise. I think on the next test I will be able to increase the resolution by about 10 times. We do a lot of this sort of stuff for the games and film industry..

http://ten24.info/

Jamie

Zbrush_02.jpg

Zbrush_01.jpg

Zbrush_03.jpg

RC_01.jpg

RC_02.jpg

car.jpg

• Like 9

That look amazing

Imagine that as a service I would pay for it guy comes to your door scans your car and gives you a 3d model few weeks later of your exact car even the stone chips on the front hahaa

Hunpy :: Its just a test really to see what kind of details I could get, Ill probably do it again but with a 50 MP camera this was just using a 18 MP canon 100D You can do a lot with the scan, they are really useful for 3d modellers to base their cars on for games like Forza / Gran Turismo etc. They are also accurate to about 1mm so could be used for fabrication purposes.

Attak Z :: Thanks ;)

Paul K :: Yep it would be pretty easy to print it out.. Could make a little key ring with my own car.

Mj86 :: Yep we do all our cleanup work in Zbursh, the car images were processed in Reality Capture

He he, yea it could be done no problem, does depend a bit on the weather and its a time consuming process so could be quite costly.

That look amazing

Imagine that as a service I would pay for it guy comes to your door scans your car and gives you a 3d model few weeks later of your exact car even the stone chips on the front hahaa

That's cool. Can Zbrush export to 3D Max or Lightwave?

Yes It can be export to 3D max, I believes they might be called Object export or displacement mapping.

I could be wrong as I only know 3D max and Maya. But not Zbrush...

• Like 1

This kind of tech is superb! I work in a ship yard where we use this technology to scan the units of the ship in as they are built in the fabrication shed, after which they can be directly compared to the CAD model which we have created to ensure it is within the build tolerances.

What kind of tolerance in the model do you achieve with your scans? It'd be interesting to see if a scan of the engine bay and/or underside for example could be exported into a format readable by solid works or inventor. It would give you near OEM ability (given the right skills, of course) to design, optimise and integrate parts such as exhausts and manifolds.

That could be one of the best things I've ever seen haha. Brilliant! Do it again when its dry and the car washed and the details would be immense.... not that this pics lacking anything. Aw ...I want one of my car *throws money at you* :lol:

That's cool. Can Zbrush export to 3D Max or Lightwave?

Yes it can indeed :)

That's really interesting. Is it an interesting industry to work in? I always thought i'd like to do something like this. ...and im looking for a new job currently :)

Yes its very varied we get to do a lot of stuff and work with some interesting people. Unfortunately were not hiring at the moment :(

Now can you add on some wing and lip and diffusers on that and make CFD on it, print it out and give it to me please? :D Looks cool regardless!

He he yea I can, Going to do a better version of the scan next weekend so might do some body work mods to see what it might look like before I spend some money on it :)

Thats pretty damn awesome! Z keyrings!!

I think once Im happy with the scan Ill send it to shape-ways and get a little key ring made..

This kind of tech is superb! I work in a ship yard where we use this technology to scan the units of the ship in as they are built in the fabrication shed, after which they can be directly compared to the CAD model which we have created to ensure it is within the build tolerances.

What kind of tolerance in the model do you achieve with your scans? It'd be interesting to see if a scan of the engine bay and/or underside for example could be exported into a format readable by solid works or inventor. It would give you near OEM ability (given the right skills, of course) to design, optimise and integrate parts such as exhausts and manifolds.

Thanks, yes it can definitely be exported for use in Solid works we do it all the time for our clients, Currently the tolerance is around 1mm - 0.5mm but its hard to say as photogrammetry isnt quite as accurate as the systems you are probably using i.e Laser or Lidar scanning.. If we could get it up on a lift we could scan the underside which would make it super easy for fabrication work.

That could be one of the best things I've ever seen haha. Brilliant! Do it again when its dry and the car washed and the details would be immense.... not that this pics lacking anything. Aw ...I want one of my car *throws money at you* :lol:

Thank you! yea I will do a much better scan soon. I have no idea how much we would charge for this service but its very time consuming so I dont think it would be cheap but as the tech progresses and workflows become increasingly faster there will come a point where scanning a car is as simple as taking a photograph.. For this I had to take 490 RAW images :)

Hey Jamie, I work in the vfx industry for films/tv shows in London.

Cool to see this here, I'll have a look at your site a bit more tomorrow.

Sometimes we need set scans or props done but it would be handy to chat to someone.

Hey, yea no problem just send me an email if you have any questions its jamie@ten24.info

• Like 3

That's seriously cool. You should definitely try designing a lairy bodykit and putting it on :D

Ha ha yea I will do when I get some time ;)

Oh, God, see what you've made me do now? :lol:

2016-03-07_11-23-07.jpeg

2016-03-07_11-24-12.jpeg

Awesome, Zbrush is an amazing tool!

Email sent over Jamie, many thanks.

:thumbs:

Got it, sent you one right back ;)

This is cool! I work for Autodesk so see this stuff all the time but not on a Z.

Top work my friend :)

Cool! you guys make some very impressive software!

• Like 1