Convertible hood, DIY replacement anyone done one?

san marino blue

Hello,

The summer is looming and we can look forward to luke-warm rain and even bigger gangs of middle aged blokes on bikes to have to avoid at high speed on fast A roads.

My babies hood is looking a bit worse for wear as she is unfortunately and out door girl, not having the luxury of a garage.

I keep telling myself that lying under my baby, on a gravelly road with water running down my back is character building and only girls rebuild their car inside.......I am however jealous of you all who do have such a wonderful place. I have suggested we put a roller shutter where the living room bay window is, as no one likes that dancing program and it'd be a much better use of space, but the other person I live with, who makes the decisions isn't having any of it!

Funny fella my wife! :teeth:

She still moans about my roller cab living in the hall and won't believe it's an Ikea sideboard no matter how many times I've told her.

Anyway she puts up with me so she aint that bad!

I notice quite a few people have had hoods replaced and I can see a few You tube vids, but has anyone out there actually done one?

I am guessing the actual fitting isn't too bad, but obviously I don't want to end up with a hood that either won't close because it's as tight as big lasses leggings somewhere, or is a baggy as teenagers jeans and flapping around.

I believe the original hoods are canvass which is why they are a pain when cold and that the mohair hoods are far better in cold weather.

I am one of those idiots that owns a convertible so will damned well drive it topless regardless of the weather.

Probably should own an Atom!

Are they as durable and water-tight as the original?

With no garage this is super important.

I live in the back of beyond, North Wales so getting it fitted is a bit difficult and hell to it if someone else can do it I probably can.

So any advise on if DIYing it would be great.

Is it a good idea?

Who supplies a decent replacement with a glass rear?

Mohair or canvass?

OE Nissan or after market?

If the worse comes to the worse who can do this in the North West, N Wales, Liverpool/Manchester way?

Also price, I wouldn't say at any cost, but I'd rather do this once and do it properly than find I am replacing it again in two yrs or the damned thing leaks and I end up with a sopping wet interior

I also take it that they are all the same?

I have an 07, 313 in San Marino blue, anyone fitted a navy blue hood? I'm torn between blue or a standard black one.

Cheers for taking the time to answer

Thanks very much for the link, but I think I'll get a new one rather than go used.

My guess is it will shrink a little over time and get tough, so I think it may make it difficult to fit.

Also with it being such a prominent bit of the car when up, it'd be nice to have a lovely smart new one.

Mines a grey colour now so apart from starting to perish it's also not very pretty.

Cheers anyway

Car hood warehouse are able to supply only.

They tell me that the mohair is more durable than the original vinyl and less likely to crack and split due to shrinkage. (This is what happens to OEM. It shrinks over time)

Expected life. Maybe 15 years

It took the guy just over 3 hours to fit mine but I suspect it could be done DIY if you have the time and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi ordered mine from Car hood warehouse. And me and my dad fitted it in about 8hrs give or take... it's best with at least 2 people so you have a side each.... but just do a bit at a time.... used the u tube video for a start.... but it's not a bad job... and the hood warehouse send instructions to. Just need a cordless drill. Few drill bits and a rivet kit and gun....

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'll give the car Car hood Warehouse a go then

It's kind off what I thought, go for Mohair and fit it myself .

Thanks again, it's feedback like this that makes this site great for all us DIY mechanics :thumbs: and saves every job being a voyage of discovery