Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

I don't find it offensive, in fact for total clarity I'm lazy and entitled. :lol:

I know, right? I was begging you to come and pick up your car Sunday morning at 9am when it was ready after 24hrs continuous work and you said you're still in bed, lets leave it for later :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you would challenge him if he made the exact same comment about Romanian people.

Neah, I got really thick skin after Brexit, regarding any xenophobic comments. :lol: Is not that easy to get rid of me :lol:

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN
  • Like 1

24 - didn't vote because A it involves going somewhere

B because I don't know what's right and wrong,

I would have voted out. But for no other reason than change. Not looking any deeper into the effect of either outcome, I didn't vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At risk of provoking a thread into something it isn't, I can kinda see Mouthwash's point. There's plenty of data out there showing that, for example, London is 10% black by population yet more than 60% of recorded gun crime is committed by black males. However, if one were to state that all black guys in London are gun toting robbers then you'd rightly be put down incredibly quickly.

Some youngsters don't care about voting, and some really do.

Your first comment is unfounded and based on your preconceptions of a generation (prejudice) it also includes a broad statement

I know people on this thread are probably going to get all British about this..

Sorry, just noticed this. But making generalisations about a nation when arguing that it may cause offence to make generalisations.. really?

At risk of provoking a thread into something it isn't, I can kinda see Mouthwash's point. There's plenty of data out there showing that, for example, London is 10% black by population yet more than 60% of recorded gun crime is committed by black males. However, if one were to state that all black guys in London are gun toting robbers then you'd rightly be put down incredibly quickly.

So what we're really arguing about here is the omission of a quantifying noun.

How's about:

Majority of youngsters don't care about voting, and minority really do.

• Like 2

You must have missed my (oooops)? The bait was there and you took it. :p

Now if only I knew a famous fisher I would tell him to get out of my way as I'm the master angler now.

I know people on this thread are probably going to get all British about this and tell me to give it a rest (ooooops)

Anyway, it didn't exactly seem like you had omitted a noun. You just flat out called a group of individuals something and pretended that the facts backed up your comment.

A lot of the people I know don't vote because they don't believe the system is truly a democracy, maybe they've been listening to Russell Brand a bit too much or maybe they think that they're going to get shafted no matter what so why waste their time voting?

Imagine if the whole country got behind this and voted by not voting. Would things change for the better? Who knows but anything is better than getting fed lie after lie to enable someone else to fulfill their own personal goal.

I'd rather be run by Skynet. :lol:

Edited by mouthwash

I'm sure you would challenge him if he made the exact same comment about Romanian people.

Romanians are lazy

Since everyone seems to be quoting everyone, I thought I'd just quote something else that can be very easily taken out of context due to editing their initial statement :lol:

Edit: (I'd also just like to point out that I do not agree with that statement if it was the case)

Edited by RS8055

Starting to realise why I no longer have the interest here that I used to.

Way too many self righteous pricks looking for arguments, sucking up moderator and admin time on pathetic childish sh*t.

The young are incensed that the "old" stole their freedom, but did sweet FA about going out to vote. They are the facts whether you like it or not.

• Like 1

OK ease up, you don't want to impact your respective forum 'liking' scores ;)

I agree with Chesterfield, there is certainly a strong element of youth (and has been for years) that refuse to engage with voting yet are always on the forefront of protests. I am sure there are many reasons as to why that is but that's what we face - and the up shot is that youth feel they are therefore not represented, a bit of a vicious circle.

The most important thing now is to keep an eye on CEO announcements, and also keep ears to the ground for things going on which aren't reported. Plenty of companies already sounding out the US to upscale their companies dollar share of revenue through shifting investment out the UK. Up to the politicians to keep re-assuring and to get things moving as soon as feasibly possible.

Starting to realise why I no longer have the interest here that I used to.

Way too many self righteous pricks looking for arguments, sacking up moderator and admin time on pathetic childish sh*t.

The young are incensed that the "old" stole their freedom, but did sweet FA about going out to vote. They are the facts whether you like it or not.

Okay, so my attempt at light-hearted humour didn't go down so well.

On a more serious note, I suggest consulting this article from the FT.

http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2016/06/24/brexit-demographic-divide-eu-referendum-results/

What Chesterfield is saying is in fact correct in principle, I think maybe the way it's written is being taken badly. But ultimately, I agree that generally he is correct in what he is saying.

I personally am curious with regards to the voting figures to understand whether or not people who were considered 'not eligible' to vote were included in the figures? I am 28 years old, and my brother 26. Neither of us were allowed to vote due to living abroad, and not having registered to vote the last time we were residing in the UK (roughly 5 and 3 years ago respectively). For that, I am irritated.

OK ease up, you don't want to impact your respective forum 'liking' scores ;)

I agree with Chesterfield, there is certainly a strong element of youth (and has been for years) that refuse to engage with voting yet are always on the forefront of protests. I am sure there are many reasons as to why that is but that's what we face - and the up shot is that youth feel they are therefore not represented, a bit of a vicious circle.

The most important thing now is to keep an eye on CEO announcements, and also keep ears to the ground for things going on which aren't reported. Plenty of companies already sounding out the US to upscale their companies dollar share of revenue through shifting investment out the UK. Up to the politicians to keep re-assuring and to get things moving as soon as feasibly possible.

The thing is, the ones that are protesting are the ones that will have either voted or are politically motivated by some other means. Just because they don't believe in the system doesn't mean they shouldn't have a voice.

Your typical 18 year old sitting around scratching his balls playing CoD during the vote is not suddenly going to put on some pants and grab a sign on his way to Number 10.

I would say though that the vote is the one and only true way of influencing the system. Whether you agree with it or not doesn't matter, you are guaranteed to affect the system by voting as it counts. Who knows how many protesters voted or not. I remember from uni time plenty of students heading off to political demonstrations having never bothered to vote just to be part of the movement.

I remember from uni time plenty of students heading off to political demonstrations having never bothered to vote just to be part of the movement.

Hippies go to uni? :D

I would say though that the vote is the one and only true way of influencing the system. Whether you agree with it or not doesn't matter, you are guaranteed to affect the system by voting as it counts. Who knows how many protesters voted or not. I remember from uni time plenty of students heading off to political demonstrations having never bothered to vote just to be part of the movement.

I don't necessarily agree with that, if you vote you're buying into the system. What if you just flat out don't agree with the system as it stands? Your option at that point is to opt out and if people really wanted things to change they would indeed stop voting.

Every time a politician opens his mouth it's full of false promises or excuses all because it serves them and the things they believe in. I don't blame people for not voting, it'd be like choosing between an 8/9 or 10" Dildo to get rammed dry in to the dark zone. It doesn't really matter what you choose it'll be unpleasant all the same.

Now the protestors and their motivations, I agree that some will just be along for the ride but for others it'll be their way of fighting for their beliefs and to take it away from them by calling them lazy and entitled is not exactly fair.

You were warned pages back to wind it in.

Keep it on topic or it will be removed. Arguing who or why people vote no longer has relevance since the vote is done and now we deal with the result.

Last chance to behave before I lock it.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily agree with that, if you vote you're buying into the system. What if you just flat out don't agree with the system as it stands? Your option at that point is to opt out and if people really wanted things to change they would indeed stop voting.

Unfortunately, that only really works if there is a minimum turnout imposed on the referendum... if there is no minimum voting turnout, then the side with the most votes obviously wins... and your lack of vote changes nothing.

Edited by RS8055

Unfortunately, that only really works if there is a minimum turnout imposed on the referendum... if there is no minimum voting turnout, then the side with the most votes obviously wins... and your lack of vote changes nothing.

What if no one voted? It would never happen I know but it's an interesting thing to think about.

Edited by mouthwash

24 - didn't vote because A it involves going somewhere

B because I don't know what's right and wrong,

I would have voted out. But for no other reason than change. Not looking any deeper into the effect of either outcome, I didn't vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 - and Voted

A Because my current circumstance with life are better if the Uk remained in the EU (my job involved welding around sites in europe)

B because i believed that if i dont vote i cant cry when freddos cost £10

C the fact there was and still is Zero plan from either the leave party or the elected government should we vote out

D Dan said he would stick a german sausage up my arse if i voted leave

2 of them are jokes but the other 2 are 100% serious, :p

when it first came about i was 100% out the Eu then a few people mention things and i did my research and it completely change my opinion and i voted in

guess im Lazy as im young (just)etc.

but to flip reverse it people like grundy who as above could not be arsed to vote are actually out there trying to make a business out of them self and researching the markets for products produce which for him i hope pays off well and puts money in his pocket something which research the vote and voting probably wont

People mention COD playing ball scratchers not voting probably because there building a business out of what they love playing games, if they can make money playing and presenting on platforms like twitch and youtube i would put my time in there rather than researching a vote. But as im told on here people dont like me so i dont ;)

and i think MW has a point about pointing out the young, this forum is more than happy to say the young lazy or even people who are for example into stance idiots but we get on out little pedestal to stand on if someone makes a sexist or racist remark. How is it ok to give derogative marks about one group and not the other?

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

Keep it on topic or it will be removed. Arguing who or why people vote no longer has relevance since the vote is done and now we deal with the result.

balls :( i spent so long typing and reading i missed this. ill get my bags

• Like 2

So now you're just getting personal because you've been called out?

Or is it because you're an admin you get free reign to say what you like with no reprisal?

How impressive.

Called out on what? Stating that the young didn't bother to vote and now are the main group shouting "I doth protest".

Then having that compared to racism? Like it's anywhere close?

For offending you?

Get over it. Be offended. I don't really care. Admins get moderated here just as members do. They've even been banned in the past.

balls :( i spent so long typing and reading i missed this. ill get my bags

That genuinely made me laugh.

• Like 1

The thing is, the ones that are protesting are the ones that will have either voted or are politically motivated by some other means. Just because they don't believe in the system doesn't mean they shouldn't have a voice.

Your typical 18 year old sitting around scratching his balls playing CoD during the vote is not suddenly going to put on some pants and grab a sign on his way to Number 10.

Now who's making assumptions and generalising without facts?

• Like 1