Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

So it was a good idea to vote yourself out the EU and risk that market?

I don't believe it will be risked, worst case scenario is a 4% tariff in line with the WTO but a) Germany would never allow that, we're in the top 3 of each others import/exports and b ) we buy more from Europe than any other country, why **** off your best customer? I doubt they'll risk ~16% of the EUs exports just to make a statement.

EDIT: I can never remember not to use b ) instead of B)

Edited by HaydnH
  • Like 1

Seems like the Germans are not making it easy for UK, helping Scotland :)

An independent Scotland would be welcome to join the European Union, a senior German lawmaker and ally of Chancellor Angela Merkel has said after Britain's vote to leave the bloc.

"The EU will still consist of 28 member states, as I expect a new independence referendum in Scotland, which will then be successful," said Gunther Krichbaum, a member of Merkel's conservatives and chairman of the European affairs committee in parliament.

"We should respond quickly to an application for admission from the EU-friendly country," he told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZC0QT

but I wonder what will be part of the deal for Scotland to join the EU, I have a feeling they will have to adopt the Euro, they'll be modelled on the irish, if that's a positive or a negative I don't know and at this point with the risk attatched to the Sterling would swapping to a Eruo for Scotland be a good thing?

UKs credit rating downgraded by Standard and Poor, very bad news. Effectively means they have no confidence that the UK will attract foreign investment and that they see a reduction in growth in the medium term.

Having a really bad week really...

Having a really bad week really...

All the stuff we are seeing now wouldn't be felt for another 6 months. Q4 2016, Q1 2017 is when we will start seeing the real effects of reduced investment, changes in cost of living etc. I hope we dont see it but i think everyone in the UK is heading for a drop in quality of life.

If the £ doesn't pick up we'll start seeing some of the effects in 3-4 months time with more expensive prices for imported goods but I wouldn't expect anything too catastrophic. Exporters should see a boost as should the tourist industry and I don't think that large international companies like for example Toyota are going to be pulling out of The U.K anytime soon but they may well delay further investment until the situation becomes clearer. A lot depends on the terms that are agreed on and the time scale. One of the disadvantages we have and to be fair have always had is our geographic position, it must be far more economical to build factories on mainland Europe and save on transport costs, however so far this hasn't been a problem. Let's see where we are in 12 months time, we should have a clearer picture by then.

Pete

Its the investment that's going to be the problem, large companies are already putting multi million, or even billion pound projects on hold. Projects that would have created jobs and driven growth.

As much as I keep hearing the likes of Boris saying short term pain for long term gain, I don't know what this long term gain is. If we end up with a trade deal which means we have to abide by EU regs and freedom of movement, what exactly have we achieved apart from ruining 7 years of austerity and putting us into another 2+ years of recession? Yes we now can negotiate deals with other countries direct like Japan, but how much of 'their stuff' do we actually need? Putting services aside, and focusing on physical products, what is it we would want from them? And how can it be a better deal given that the cost of getting those products half way around the world is always going to be excessive compared to a country sitting next door to us.