Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

pretty decent/quick BBC interview with Lord Digby - former Director of the Confederation of British Industry https://www.facebook...56911747656293/

If UK want EU market access they will have to pay for it, Norway pays more then a membership fee and its per capita so could be pricey, only thing is that EU want UK market access too so maybe its a golden opportunity. Think EUs attitude will be a painful swift exit to mark an example what happens if more countries think about leaving. Think its absurd that some bank institutions already has plans to move jobs from the financial centres abroad, using brexit as a scapegoat to lower cost.

The banking institutions are absolutely right to start planning. As most outside the EU operate on 'passporting' which means they need a 'head office' within the EU area to allow free trade of services across the EU. They originally chose the UK due to our geographic location i.e. close to US and Far East and our strong financial services background etc. If we do not negotiate a deal that allows that relationship with the EU to continue then they have to consider shifting business elsewhere, its very uncertain times for our financial sector. It really isn't about lower cost as far as I can see for many banking organisations.

pretty decent/quick BBC interview with Lord Digby - former Director of the Confederation of British Industry https://www.facebook...56911747656293/

If UK want EU market access they will have to pay for it, Norway pays more then a membership fee and its per capita so could be pricey, only thing is that EU want UK market access too so maybe its a golden opportunity. Think EUs attitude will be a painful swift exit to mark an example what happens if more countries think about leaving. Think its absurd that some bank institutions already has plans to move jobs from the financial centres abroad, using brexit as a scapegoat to lower cost.

Agree with everything you have said - our saving grace may be that EU states still need and want access to the UK market going forward. We could be in a position of strength when re-negotiating trade deals, then again we may not be or it may be a balance. It's difficult to tell at this moment in time.

Personally I think we have a great opportunity to take more control of our destiny as a United Kingdom, however I just hope it's not at our own peril (which personally I don't think it will be). No matter what has happened and which way you voted, we can all agree its a great thing to be part of, and even greater that our society allows the people to control our own destiny and elect our own leaders... not many places in the world can say that! let's just hope we don't have a re-run as it kind of defeats my previous point!

Far from immigration, it is the accountability (or complete lack thereof) of the EU that worries me. Yes we see some reform, but lip service at best and the bare minimum to make it look like they actually cared about opinion.

The hypocrisy of supporting higher taxes on business and wanting the wealthy to "pay their way", while simultaneously supporting the EU that has special tax rates of 24% or less for people paid hundreds of thousands a year is ridiculous imho. They are simply incompatible positions.

Now is not the time for weak leadership and "you touched it last" attitude.

Nor is it the time for sticking two fingers up to democracy.

It is the time to get on with the job.

• Like 1

Dark times at the moment. Not saying that all leave voters are like this obviously, but it seems that quite a few racists are coming out of the woodwork! Not exactly making me proud to be British! :(

Whatever it is that happens now, people need to calm it down. My feeling is that there should be a re-run of the referendum considering the revelations post-result and the fact that it was such a tight margin.

Referendums with larger margins have been ignored or re-run in the past.

I really think you need to be careful throwing around accusations of people being racist (and I know you're not pointing at anyone on the forum, it's just a dangerous term to be used so freely). Not only that it's an absurd accusation as leaving the EU will not prevent immigration, it will just limit EU immigration into the UK thus potentially providing more opportunities for residents of other countries in the world to come to the UK and work. Or if you are calling people racist for caring about sovereignty .... that also doesn't make you a racist.

A re-run in my opinion is an absolutely absurd idea - not only will it exponentially increase the negative impact to the economy, it just re-enforces that democracy in this country is not where it should be.... exactly what the leave EU camp want to change.

edit: just noticed your location too -

:lol:

I fully understand what it means to label someone/some people as racist. No I am not saying that anyone on the forum would be... I am simply stating that following the events of this weekend - reference the various goings on of the weekend that have been reported in the news. It seems that this vote result has given some people the idea that they are permitted to treat people of other nationalities as though they are vermin. That, I am afraid is completely and utterly unacceptable and the definition of racist. I cannot imagine any Remain voters would do such a thing. it's disgusting.

I'm not sure what my location has to do with anything really... I think a re-run is precisely what is needed. I find it quite funny how Nigel Farage only weeks before the referendum stated that he would push for a re-run of the referendum had remain had a narrow victory... (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681) ... yet now he has had his narrow victory it's not a "best of three" (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-says-brexit-referendum-8283500).

Furthermore, I find the referendum to have been carried out in a very undemocratic manner. 2.2 million expats were not given the right to vote (including myself, my brother and my parents). I know some of you may think that because we do not live in the UK, we do not deserve a vote. Well, considering both my parents have lived and worked in the UK and paid into the system for over 30 years, on top of owning a property there to this day, as well as myself and my brother having paid into the system respectively.... why shouldn't we be allowed to vote?

The way I see things, if you are born and bred in the UK and hold a UK passport, you should have the right to have your say in your country's future.

The fact is, it seems that the older generation have decided the future for the younger generation (who voted to remain), who are the ones that will have to live with these choices. The future now is uncertain... but what is for sure, I am being forced into looking at getting a dual-nationality because of this farce. :(

Trading in Barclays and RBS shares was suspended on Monday morning following heavy losses on the London Stock Exchange. Barclays share price was down 10.3 per cent and RBS was down 15 per cent o Monday, triggering automatic circuit breakers that kick in when a share price falls more than 8 per cent.

Barclays was trading at 138.95p, down 9.76 per cent, while RBS was trading at 178.14p, down 13.30 per cent in mid-morning trade. Lloyds was down 8.91 per cent at 51.88p, after falling more than 20 per cent on Monday. RBS shares have lost £10 billion in their market value since Thursday, or more than the net contribution of the UK to the EU in 2015, which was estimated to be about £8.5 billion. The net contribution is the difference between what the UK paid to the EU and what it got back in spending in the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-rbs-halts-trading-eu-referendum-brexit-ftse-100-stock-market-a7105196.html

Meanwhile:

Boris Johnson has boasted "the markets are stable" - just as trading in publicly owned RBS was briefly suspended after a 14.5% drop.

http://news.sky.com/story/1717965/boris-insists-pound-and-markets-are-stable

• Like 1

I voted on economic reasons, i envisioned a future over a much longer term that saw us safer out than in. i am also not stupid enough to think that it was going to be walk in the park getting there. I am fully aware that it will be peoples jobs and homes on the line in what will be a tough time getting there. my mortgage is at as much risk as everybody else. it wasn't a decision i took lightly and now think "woopi lets fudge the country up" i also think it will take us about 10 years to get to where we need to be, but possibly start to see the turn after 5 years.

I'm also early 30's i'm in it for the long haul,

initiating brexit now i think is a bad move,

Europe needs to start feeling the burn before they'll negotiate with any kind of fairness. there needs to be other countries applying the same pressure.

I think plans won't get off the ground until next year. i think we still have to get out the way, tory leadership battle, labour leadership battle, reshuffle of parties and then a general election before christmas.

After that i think we'll be in a posistion to start properly; around spring time, at which point other countries may well be doing their own referendum

All that makes sense Rich, the very real danger is that foreign investment disappears in the meantime whilst we drag our heels. They then set up somewhere else, and that foreign investment is never brought back. 75% of our exports are services, whilst we are in this state of uncertainty we are putting all that at risk. Personally I think get it moving and get it sorted to minimise the disruption, otherwise we might well lose some huge corporations from the UK that we will not ever recover.

I guess my fear is that we end up in 2025 where we are now, regulated by EU legislation (as Norway are) but with no say in its creation. Norway have to lobby Sweden regularly to bring their voice to the table to try and influence EU policy making on issues that affect them, that does not feel like a good future for me.

I discussed with my girls before voting (aged 10/13) they both wanted to stay. I knew this would pretty much boil down to immigration ( which I agree should be capped be a points system) but did not want to lose economically/free travel. Laws - generally OK with that although some a bit odd like vacuum/hair dryer power so we came down to a choice and the reasons to stay were greater and in our opinion of greater benefit than to leave.

I think the British public have been forced to make a choice some were not ready to make or indeed did not understand fully. I can also see the possible breakup of the UK. Ms Sturgeon is hell bent on another independence referendum and will manipulate the situation to get her way. It would them be expected that the EU would welcome Scotland with open arms and would not be surprised if the finance houses moved North as a result. Its certainly one to watch.

I don't think a lot of people appreciated the immediate fallout, already people who voted leave are upset as they voted the Conservatives in on the basis of Cameron leading the country - now they will get an unelected PM.

I have had many conversations in the past few days and in the majority of cases people that voted Leave did so almost at a protest vote not thinking it would happen.

Well now its has so we have to stop the autopsy on why and focus on making it work. I think with all uproar and politically instability its proper to call an election with the next Government being one of coalition until Article 50 has been completed. Once that's sorted and the country has direction , they can go back to throwing papers at each other at PM's Q's

I think with all uproar and politically instability its proper to call an election

They'll only call an election if they think they are certain to win, ie with Corbyn as leader of The Labour Party. If Labour replace him with someone who isn't stuck in the 1980's then no election.

Pete

in reference to the whole "racist" situation, a dislike of Romanians, Turks, Bulgarians, Syrians, whatever... is not racist since they are not a race. Xenophobic or jingoistic maybe, but not racist. The word is thrown around rather casually and misused a lot.

• Like 2

Trading in Barclays and RBS shares was suspended on Monday morning following heavy losses on the London Stock Exchange. Barclays share price was down 10.3 per cent and RBS was down 15 per cent o Monday, triggering automatic circuit breakers that kick in when a share price falls more than 8 per cent.

Barclays was trading at 138.95p, down 9.76 per cent, while RBS was trading at 178.14p, down 13.30 per cent in mid-morning trade. Lloyds was down 8.91 per cent at 51.88p, after falling more than 20 per cent on Monday. RBS shares have lost £10 billion in their market value since Thursday, or more than the net contribution of the UK to the EU in 2015, which was estimated to be about £8.5 billion. The net contribution is the difference between what the UK paid to the EU and what it got back in spending in the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/barclays-rbs-halts-trading-eu-referendum-brexit-ftse-100-stock-market-a7105196.html

Meanwhile:

Boris Johnson has boasted "the markets are stable" - just as trading in publicly owned RBS was briefly suspended after a 14.5% drop.

http://news.sky.com/story/1717965/boris-insists-pound-and-markets-are-stable

RBS particularly relevant as Government (we) still own around 73%. To break even they need just over £5 per share. Now at £1.57 down more than 20% today.

• Like 1

At least we'll have a bit of time before it's dung for dinner. (JOKE)

Just caught up with this thread, pretty heated. Shame. Write to your Mp's sign petitions, do whatever, probably time to lock this thread before it's turns into a 350z civil war :)

I think given the emotive thoughts around it, I think its still quite civil?

It would be a shame to lock as there will be some real unraveling in the next couple of weeks which will shape the future of the UK.

• Like 2

in reference to the whole "racist" situation, a dislike of Romanians, Turks, Bulgarians, Syrians, whatever... is not racist since they are not a race. Xenophobic or jingoistic maybe, but not racist. The word is thrown around rather casually and misused a lot.

Point taken. However there have been racist incidents against Muslims and Black people... however in the case of the eastern block nationalities, Polish, Turkish etc, yes it is a case of being xenophobic. Whether or not the word "racist" is thrown around a lot, does being xenophobic really make people any better than racists?...

I think given the emotive thoughts around it, I think its still quite civil?

It would be a shame to lock as there will be some real unraveling in the next couple of weeks which will shape the future of the UK.

I think it's quite civil still. I for one, am happy to keep things on an intellectual level. :)