coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

I'm starting to feel very uncomfortable with what this country is becoming

in or out is irrelevant now, the reaction of inners is pointless (me included) - we have to deal with the result, the reaction of some outters and the hatred I'm seeing on social media and news sites is alarming

• Like 3

I was always disgusted to see the scenes that were happening at trumps rallies and what he was causing in the states, foolishly i thought we were better and above that. Its a damn shame its come down to this.

I find it somewhat odd that the remain campaign quotes social media and the press for inciting the leave voters, yet all i am seeing on these pages is links referencing social media and the press to support their view :surrender:

• Like 1

in or out is irrelevant now, the reaction of inners is pointless (me included) - we have to deal with the result, the reaction of some outters and the hatred I'm seeing on social media and news sites is alarming

Agree and it's not just domestic, I was looking up the most popular Australian newspaper to see what they make of it on this one. It made for some interesting thoughts about the view of the outcome and the flow on position they'll take from it.

Australia is a Commonwealth country but it's got a large European background and also has the proximity to Asian in distance and the people to make it a bit more interesting.

Economically Europe and Asia are more significant to Australia than the U.K.

Maybe Australia will consider it's options similarly to the way Scotland has and may do again.

Australian Newspaper view on the situation is that it's a big ugly mess:

http://www.watoday.c...624-gprfml.html

The situation gives a push to an Australian republic, newspaper view:

http://www.smh.com.a...626-gps7ra.html

Having said all that, I prefer how Australian voting is compulsory.

I also think the whole situation isn't something that should have been put to a vote it's above the level of the citizens.

The closest we had was a Commonwealth in/out a while back. It wasn't quite as close but nowhere as ugly.

I'm ok to hand those decisions over to the leaders and not to the people. In the same way that Big brother, X factor, BGT, Mcdonalds win the popularity contest that's not to say they are the best for quality product or living conditions.

I don't claim to be involved in or have any interest in government level international country to country trading type activities so think that any vote on my part there shouldn't be counted as it's just opinion which would have in this case come from extremely dubious opinionated sources and so is just cheap talk and easily changeable or denyable.

Easily the best information all got from both sides I've seen is from this site.

Edited by chips

I find it somewhat odd that the remain campaign quotes social media and the press for inciting the leave voters, yet all i am seeing on these pages is links referencing social media and the press to support their view :surrender:

You're suprised that people who believe in one thing are finding sources to support their beliefs? ;)

That said, I'd rather people posted their own thoughts now instead of needlessly quoting what others are saying.

• Like 4

I'd be happy for a second referendum as it's such an important decision.

Wait, what? :lol:

But the harm is already done! :cry:

On those conditions, yeah, I would. As the EU stands, no, I wouldn't.

The petition on the gov site is now past 3 million and increasing at an average of 50 votes a second. Are they hoping to get the number past that of those who goes to leave?

Gone up over 120,000 since then, I would guess that it would need to reach 10 million before we get any reaction from politicians. I'm not sure where exactly this is going, with both of our major parties in meltdown this is not going to have a positive effect on the £ and stockmarkets. Investors simply won't invest until this gets sorted out and it's quite possible that they will decide to invest elsewhere. It's a complete and utter mess and a festering sore that won't go away.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Well a few hundred years ago you'd now be stood in a field with your Pike, with thousands of others, marching towards the Leave Army.

That it's just Facebook is progress I think.

But yeah, revolutions are always painful, peaceful or otherwise.

I find the petition for a 2nd referendum in the uk somewhat insulting

See my post above. This petition was set up by someone in the leave camp before the vote who felt certain they would lose. We all have to accept that no matter what the result was there will be people on both sides who are not prepared to accept it.

I personally am devastated with the result. Many reasons, economic chaos, How the rest of the World will see us, we used to be a beacon of fairness and tolerance, the decline and breakup of what was once a great country. If it all goes wrong then rejoining would probably be very disadvantageous for us, we'd have to join the Euro, the Schengen zone and would lose many if not all of the special conditions we have right now, In other words it's a non starter. The political vacuum that we have right now is alarming me as well, with both parties at civil war, I just can't see any good coming from this.

Pete

• Like 2

I'm going to chime in here, as a result from my experiences growing up in the UK, being an ethnic minority.

Now, all of this is of my own opinion and life experiences, if some of you may choose to ignore me, it's your right to do so.

Furthermore I completely agree with power to the people and the democratic process.

That being said, a lot of the leave campaign has been focused on the economy, some freedom of movement, with odd detours of "350 million" and "Laws from Brussels" etc.

However, lets not kid ourselves. Many people from both camps have voted without knowing or even caring about facts.

The most unfortunate of those are the leave campaign voters that have based their decision on racism. And here's why:

Institutionalised racism is alive and well in the UK, it always has been, and it always will be. Most of it is non-violent, and you adapt to it and (unfortunately) accept it as you grow up.

When I was 16/17, and getting to that age where you're getting more "Street smart", you tend to notice peoples emotions and reactions towards you more.

I started to notice more and more the funny looks you get when you walk into one of "Those pubs", I also started to hear the odd comment under peoples breaths, and generally got; "Don't see many of em round here" kind of vibe.

Now, when I realised this was happening for the first time, being a young'un I got rather upset. After a while however, I started to get less and less bothered by it, it's one of those things.

The one thing that I noticed growing up however, it that these comments, dodgy looks and general prejudice changes from location to location and from political climate.

When I was 19, it was the worst, (in my mind) because at the time; UKIP and the EDL, etc. we're rising in the media and popularity.

Around the same time, I was hospitalised by a group of people that thought I didn't belong in the UK.

Believe it or not, (I've noticed) the more people think their views are shared, the less stigma they carry, the more open they are about them.

Now, before people start thinking I'm going on a rant how "Leave campaign is all about xenophobia, racism etc".

I'm not; because I know the majority aren't racists, and voted for what they believe are their best interests.

However, you can't ignore the fact that some "Leave" votes were racially motivated, and are the product of growing nationalism.

Going back to when I was 19, and the snide comments became more frequent, so did the way people reacted to me in public; Bars, pubs, Country fairs (Oddly the worst case I've ever had), etc.

The genuine concern I have, is the rise of public racism and prejudice again.

This happens because some leave voters are racists, and this victory for the leave campaign has without a doubt, reinforced their beliefs that racism is okay, especially in a public setting.

Now, I'm not the thought police, people can think what they want in their own heads, and in their own homes, but I really don't want to be the subject of someones (or more often a group of peoples) mocking or prejudice.

If you do some reading on twitter and facebook, and search for tweets resulting in racial abuse, you'll see the effects that the referendum has had towards racial discrimination already.

(I keep tabs on EDL/NF/BNP etc. rallies on facebook and twitter, because I've been subject to verbal/physical abuse already by these groups).

I'll repeat this again;

I don't think or feel that most of the leave voters are racists or xenophobic, but the ones who are now feel that they've had their opinions validated by over half the country.

Thats my main concern with brexit, and I'm genuinely anxious.

- Beefy

• Like 3