Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

Think you will find its a minority of remainers that think those voting leave are racist, but many moreso of leavers who assume that the remainers think that way.

Admittedly I could have add a "some" before "people" in my previous post, but I didn't say "all" people who voted remain either. Sorry to quote you again Paddy, but as an example my FB feed is covered with stuff like this right now:

I refuse to accept that I backed the wrong side. I think leaving the EU is on par as an idea with America building a wall across the Mexican border. Xenophobia and ignorance have won the day...

To be fair, I blame the Leave campaigners and the press. When the main argument you see on repeat from them is "migration, migration, migration" I guess you can't help but feel as if anyone voting leave is agreeing with that point. I couldn't give a stuff about migration (considering my wife is from Paris quite the opposite), however I still want to know where the corruption (Statue of Mars penis anybody?), failing EU economy (50% unemployment in places, reduction in GDP as % of world GDP) type arguments were...

Those arguments weren't mentioned because that's not how you hook in the main Brexit demographic (If the stats are to be believed).

As for FB feeds I think you guys seriously need to revise your friends list and who you surround yourself with, I am not seeing anything of the sort on my FB page - so therefore it cannot be FACT (come on guys surely you cannot come to a factual conclusion of 17m odd people based on a feed on your own social media page, seriously!)

• Like 1

But going back to the main issue which people claimed to vote leave, was control - if we got the norway model where many of our industries have to comply to EU regulation, how would that make you feel?

I thought that The Norway model included free movement? In any case any products that we sell to The EU will have to comply to EU regulations/standards. The Swiss model is very similar. So will The EU make us a special case or will be able to negotiate a Norway style relationship without free movement? A lot of experts say it could go 2 ways either they need our business so badly that they'll offer us a good deal or they'll punish us to dissuade other countries from leaving. The other issue is what happens before we actually leave The EU, will there be an overwhelming rush of migrants getting in before our doors are locked? Or will they think that The U.K is no longer an attractive place to come to?

Pete

Actually given that half of immigration is non EU this vote really doesn't cover it off fully, we could have closed the doors on half of immigration any time we wanted. I said previously if people are voting on one principle of immigration to exit the EU personally I think that is pretty naive.

What is pretty much not realised by many who supported Leave is that many of the EU directives are there to create a level playing field to protect the UK from being underpriced by cheap labour produced insufficient quality goods by other countries in the EU who traditionally could have taken advantage. We will always as a country produce quality goods (ok speculation there but probably a reasonable one) and continue to abide by these rules independently, we will also most likely have this written into any trade agreement like the Norway model. Freedom of movement is still a requirement (which is one of the four principles of the EEA which Norway are part of) yes.

So if we sign a Norway deal, where we are obliged formally to comply with EU regulation and the principle of freedom of movement as part of the EEA, have we 'taken back control' ?

But by the same token, those with the most experience in life should know best, right?

Swings and roundabouts and damn statistics.

by that standard i would expect to find them all in software and app development earning millions and other newly developed markets and growing markets which are occupied by people who have yet hit 40 :lol:

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

I never seen such a load of fabricated nonsense, how can those age groups even be relevant except to try and manipulate a viewpoint, 18-24, 6 year span, next group 25 year span, then 15 year span, then 25+ again.....and the leave campaign are being accused of being manipulated by what they read :surrender:

I have resisted posting up other peoples opinion till this stage but this is worth a read if you want a very quick top line (and fairly objective) view of what might transpire. I guess the very last paragraph is where we will end up, but our situation is that we left and probably alienated ourselves from influential people in the EU unlike Norway, so we could find some tough 'surprise turns' which is the point in the last line. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/06/5-questions-for-britain-and-europe-after-the-brexit-vote

@JP: They're reasonably accepted age gaps for specific reasons, no?

First lot is from voting age to mid-twenties, or what most people would call youngsters.

Second lot is from the end of that up until middle-age, or your working life when you actually have a clue about what you're doing and settle down.

Third group is those planning for retirement.

Fourth group are the coffin dodgers.

I get your point, but it seems reasonable enough to me. However, it does have it's flaws as you point out. A straightforward 10 year gap might be more helpful.

I never seen such a load of fabricated nonsense, how can those age groups even be relevant except to try and manipulate a viewpoint, 18-24, 6 year span, next group 25 year span, then 15 year span, then 25+ again.....and the leave campaign are being accused of being manipulated by what they read :surrender:

the accusation is granted

rsz_cikhd7axaaiklxc.jpg

Its actually not a million miles away from the populous definitions of millennials, baby boomers, generation x - but as you rightly say it should have run from 18-34 then 35 to 50 to make sense. Looking at the data I suspect it would tell a similar story if you shuffled it around that way.

There seemed to be a very clear demographic and age breakdown of who voted where and probably a clear social class profile as well.

the accusation is granted

rsz_cikhd7axaaiklxc.jpg

Note in the video Farage mentions £10bn to spend, pretty sure if you divide £10bn by 52 you don't arrive at £350m per week ;) still enough people fell for it so it did its job. Surprised the interviewers were not savvy enough to pick him up on it either.

So why does that bear any relation to some manipulated statistics that lay the blame at the foot of the older generation?

Both sides elaborated truths, are we back to the willy waving of who told the biggest untruth?

18 - 24 year olds deciding the fate of the country, yeah, like thats going to end well with all their life experience....I really cant believe we are now at the point of saying, an older persons vote is less valid as they dont have to live with it so long.

And do we really think the parents and grandparents of this country thought, yeah f*ck my kids and grand kids, lets ruin it for them...

I bet they thought long and hard about the future for them and what they believe will be better for them in the long run, not 24 hrs after the event!!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2

I really cant believe we are now at the point of saying, an older persons vote is less valid as they dont have to live with it so long.

I'm not sure that's what was meant (at least, I hope not)... just sadness that the people who are most going to have to deal with this decision, didn't want it.

Edited by GappySmeg
  • Like 1

Live with what, no one knows what the outcome will be yet, jeez, its 24 hours, not armaggedon.

I was just trying to explain the sentiment being expressed... one that's being expressed by a great many people of my age group. Don't shoot the messenger :blush:

• Like 1

You guys are still debating who voted, what colour shoes it had on, what make pencil it used and where it shops for groceries? :lol:

None of that matters now. We need really good negotiators, proper models and serious leadership to keep us together through the years to come.

Boris, Gove, Farage, Gisela, Nicola? :cry:

Meanwhile, as you still debating it, how many of the leave voters do you reckon were like these two:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/man-who-voted-for-leave-says-he-thought-his-vote-wouldnt-count-wins-moron-of-the-year-award-5964450/

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-06-24/leave-voter-disappointed-and-wishes-to-vote-remain/

:lol: :lol:

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN
  • Like 1

Live with what, no one knows what the outcome will be yet, jeez, its 24 hours, not armaggedon.

But we can surely all agree that things aren't going to be better for any of us for at least the next 5 years are they?!

I've spent my 20's not having enough money, and just as i get into my 30's, buy my first house, have got enough money to be happy - the rug gets pulled from under me. Now i've got a decade of financial uncertainty all over again. I wish I didnt buy my house last year now, and that I would have waited until next year when the values would have plummeted and mortgages will be cheaper.

Instead i'm going to be stuck in my house with negative equity, unable to remortgage.

• Like 2

...and as far as facebook feeds go - the 'chavs' on my feed were the ones celebrating. i.e. minimal education and low income, with little to lose. There was a lot of sorrow amongst the 'middle classes' on my feed, i.e. early 30's, young families with good educations and good careers.

This might offend some, but this is the 'FACT' according to my FB feed.

• Like 4

You guys are still debating who voted, what colour shoes it had on, what make pencil it used and where it shops for groceries? :lol:

None of that matters now. We need really good negotiators, proper models and serious leadership to keep us together through the years to come.

Boris, Gove, Farage, Gisela, Nicola? :cry:

Meanwhile, as you still debating it, how many of the leave voters do you reckon were like these two:

http://metro.co.uk/2...-award-5964450/

http://www.itv.com/n...to-vote-remain/

:lol: :lol:

Obviously tiny proportion, but bloody hell how can you be so stupid as to do a tv interview and say that.