Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

Leave, cause a bit of a storm, investors play it safe and don't move assets around until they know it's not as bad as they thought.

UK lives happily ever after. We have the 5th biggest economy, we don't need to be part of any club.

I can't wait to leave.

• Like 2

Leave, cause a bit of a storm, investors play it safe and don't move assets around until they know it's not as bad as they thought.

UK lives happily ever after. We have the 5th biggest economy, we don't need to be part of any club.

I can't wait to leave.

Do we have the 5th biggest economy because we are part of the biggest trading club though?

• Like 1

What do all the white benefit cheats add up to? Not much. But I saw 4 Romanian guys today, all sat down drinking coffee and Pelligrinos, clutching a cane. The real cheats are at the top but why would someone at the bottom not opt to do what those guys were doing?

Just out of interest how do you know they weren't working or screwing the system?

Some people have a cane as they are injured or whatever, are Romanians not allowed coffee on a sunday lol?

• Like 1

The funny thing is people get so hyped up about the amount of money we 'waste' on the EU - how about some perspective? The net spend to the EU by the UK last year was around £9bn (its not £18bn, thats a number invented by the Leave campaign ignoring rebates, services and payments we get back). Yes, that's a lot of money for me or you, but to an economy of 50m+ its small change. In terms of the net cost, the total tax collections by this government taken between now and this coming Sunday would cover the annual cost of being in the EU. So the videos that get posted up quoting cash sums saving the NHS etc, are the sort of rubbish I tend to dismiss.

For me, its about aspiration and independence, and do I take the financial risk to get there. Of course we all want to be in charge of our own destiny (even though the control people think the EU have over us is not as severe as they believe) we are all proud of our nation and what we achieve. But, I do have my own well-being to look after, and if the case for leaving is not sound in my eyes I wont vote for it in some blinkered hope that it will just be alright and that people we have no idea who they are will somehow wave a wand that will make it work.

Would be cool to see what happens if you guys leave I know that Sweden would be affected tradewise with yourselves but maybe just maybe we wouldnt have these caravan people coming here every summer setting up camps everywhere destroying nature and wrecking peoples homes...

I do think UK would take a huge hit on trade in general with the US and Europe, pending when Trump becomes the next president maybe it will all change, you think? :p

I also think the financial sector will become very turbulent which is not always a great idea and could have adverse economical effects both in and outside of the UK. Think that it could actually start another world recession! Which we're on the brink of anyway. Go vote and lets see what happens :) I looked my mortgages in for two years hoping it will all be over by then. :lol:

At the moment I am voting stay, because the argument to leave is just not good enough. I would be happy to vote leave if I could have some idea about what we are actually going to do, all I see are made up numbers and that they would spend it on this and that (and in the grand scheme of things that's irrelevant) but I still haven't seen how we actually manage the economy from an independent country point of view. Its pretty much going to be 'make it up as we go along' which I am sorry I just cannot buy into.

I think this just about sums up my view point

Its pretty much going to be 'make it up as we go along' which I am sorry I just cannot buy into.

But how can we know until we try, as has been said before, we wont know what deals etc we can strike until we are in a position to do so? and we arent going to be able to so until we know, its a catch 22. Either we have the faith or we dont. Its an unanswerable question.

Giles Brandwith made me laugh on Have i got news for you, he said during the erm, they all woke in the morning not knowing what was "going" to happen, during the day they didnt know what "was" happening and in the evening they didnt know what "had" happened.

Seriously, look at the facts, not stories and individual daily mail style perspective. I can walk through covent garden at lunchtime past some of the dodgier pubs and see the same groups of white British born people getting hammered at midday every single day.

That's a bit presumptuous, I used to drink in the local weather spoons at 10am quite a bit... but that's because I'd been working hard up until 9am and fancied an after work drink or 5 depending how stressful the night shift was. There's a lot of people who work odd hours, go for an after work drink and then go home early ready to be awake at stupid o'clock again. It doesn't make them bad people. Even those who aren't working odd hours could be there making deals, team lunches, work birthday drinks etc.

Its not catch 22 in terms of planning, what they don't know is what the outcome will be, but you can certainly plan for how they might approach it. My starter would be Norway, Switzerland or something else in terms of a trade deal approach. Then they should be considering the distribution of, or at least how they might, distribute all these savings they will be making. Will the public decide? Or will they bring in a committee of politicians, or even business leaders, to decide? What new positions/teams/legislation will be in place to make these new decisions? What are the priorities i.e. as Farming receives a very high EU financing fund, will that be the priority, will that funding come from the savings, or will it come from another source? Taking 'control' of our laws, which laws do they believe they will have control of and wish to influence which they do not currently, again they can reference Norway and Switzerland for some sort of comparison if they are going down that route. I could go on...

None of the above has been presented in a coherent way.

That said, most people will vote Stay or Go based on a lot less, so I understand why Leave campaigners do not do the above, because I am probably in a tiny minority wanting to know this. They are going after the blinkered voters who read a meme or some 'truth' appearing from a mate of a mate of a mate of a mate on FB.

:lol:

I do think UK would take a huge hit on trade in general with the US and Europe,

Why, which country that we already buy and sell stuff to and who buy and sell stuff to us is going to risk economic suicide? That would be idiotic, as stupid as it is to assume that Europe is suddenly going to fall off the map! :)

Seriously, look at the facts, not stories and individual daily mail style perspective. I can walk through covent garden at lunchtime past some of the dodgier pubs and see the same groups of white British born people getting hammered at midday every single day.

That's a bit presumptuous, I used to drink in the local weather spoons at 10am quite a bit... but that's because I'd been working hard up until 9am and fancied an after work drink or 5 depending how stressful the night shift was. There's a lot of people who work odd hours, go for an after work drink and then go home early ready to be awake at stupid o'clock again. It doesn't make them bad people. Even those who aren't working odd hours could be there making deals, team lunches, work birthday drinks etc.

But that was my point my point so thanks for reinforcing it ;) The original point was made by Keiron saying that because he saw a foreigner drinking/with a cane etc. that they are a drain on the economy, my point was I can see the same but they are English people also - so whats the difference in terms of what these people are doing and if they are draining the economy at all. Just because they are foreign are we saying therefore they cannot be doing shift work or all the above reasons also?

In addition, I do seem some people drinking regularly who I would be happy to stake money on are not making business deals, on a team lunch or birthday drinks and are in fact scroungers... :lol:

Just to throw something else in the mix. Us leaving the EU would potentially have an major impact on our ability to access new, life-changing medicine. These things are currently approved in almost all cases across all EU markets (plus some others, I'll come on to that) by the EMA, who are currently located in London for various reasons. It's highly likely, that if we exit, the EMA will leave Britain as there's no point in them being located in a market that is not part of the EU. The impact? Life saving drugs that are not yet approved may well not become available to us as quickly as we may have been lucky to have before as a result of being in the EU.

Yes, there are other countries (eg. Switzerland) that aren't part of the EU that are able to market these drugs, but the difference is HUGE in how long approvals take, the negotiations that take place, years of work involved to re-establish what we are able to market, as well as how much the drugs will cost as a result as pricing will change. We will be very much more subject to European government ruling on what we can/can't have. Not to mention the fact that the NHS directly benefits from all of this.

In addition, the pharmaceutical industry has a large presence in the UK, and there a large number of companies that deal with what I've mentioned above. There is a high possibility that these companies would leave Britain, as being in a non-EU market makes no sense. That's thousands of jobs impacted. Not to mention the £8.5bn that is granted to us by the EU to fund medical research. Is that likely to stay in place? Doubtful.

My point? It's not just about immigration, or NHS funding. There are things of greater impact that aren't being communicated as loudly as others. I for one do not want to be responsible for voting for something that may stop someone receiving a life-saving medication early enough because someone on the Leave bus is screaming about immigration. By the way, I live in Thanet. That's where Nigel Farage lost his battle for MP, and has a VERY high 'untasteful' Eastern European presence.

For the record, I've worked in the industry for 15 years, for the largest pharmaceutical company in the world. I'm not in marketing, or finance. I directly help get these drugs to markets, and dealt with the EU for a long time. Leaving the EU, for me, is not an option, and I'll be very worried if the referendum ends up with the Leave vote.

• Like 1

Just out of interest how do you know they weren't working or screwing the system?

Some people have a cane as they are injured or whatever, are Romanians not allowed coffee on a sunday lol?

Sorry, I see them every day. Nice guys actually, quite polite and stylish. Doing the best for themselves.

lol back at you

For the record, I've worked in the industry for 15 years, for the largest pharmaceutical company in the world. I'm not in marketing, or finance. I directly help get these drugs to markets, and dealt with the EU for a long time. Leaving the EU, for me, is not an option, and I'll be very worried if the referendum ends up with the Leave vote.

My wife works for inVentiv Health, shares the same opinion, working with companies like the one you work for for the last 9 years. Regulatory affairs? :)

Yup! I now work with the Middle East markets so I'm not even directly impacted work-wise as far as I am aware. It's a shame that people don't have access to all the facts, especially with a decision of this magnitude.

• Like 1