Dead Zed

A9H-RX

So yesterday I had the mother of all horror stories happen. Engine decided to lose all oil pressure and develop and clunking noise. I assumed I had oil pump failure seeming as the oil was sitting at 110 degrees with an outside temp of 2 degrees, way above normal as it should be sitting around 70 - 80 tops on a thrash, and I normally struggle to get it up to boost temp as I don't run undertray or arch liners. I cut the engine off as soon as I could hear a horrible noise, but no idea if it had actually given up before I heard the anything as you can't really hear much at 6k rpm (not to mention it would still be producing some oil pressure at this rpm).

I spoke to Abbey and Horsham who both said they haven't heard of an oil pump failure and is probably down to just the bottom end giving up. (maybe it's just a US thing?!)

It's sitting at 55k now and not done far off that boosted but this is the first time the engine has had any problems since being built back in 2008 I think was? She was serviced couple months back, and still holding oil with no smoke blowing or leaks.

I imagine (if the pump hasn't failed), I could get away with maybe bearings and possibly a crankshaft if I cut the engine off before damage started occurring. Worst case is a complete bottom end rebuild with potential rod damage, and if shards of metal decided to grind away up the bores, I could be looking at pistons and block as well which is obviously ££'£££.££ seeming as I am fully forged.

Now to weigh up my options. I found my garage that would be carrying out the work if I decide to go ahead subject to damage/cost. I will be dropping the engine out over next few weeks and have them strip it as soon as possible. If the engine is totally shagged, my options would be to either,

Rebuild the VQ with uprated cams, injectors, fuel pump, actuators, turbos, ecu etc and go for a lot more power,

Or do an RB26 conversion as I love the straight 6 and not a fan of 2JZ (not slating),

Or part out the whole car get and new hobby.... or toy. Which would be a shame considering the amount of money I put in last year on clutch after release bearing ruined my triple plate, new wrap that is still waiting to be applied, akebono BBK plus 2/3 sets of new wheels to try fit over the brakes, and a new fuel tank!

If anyone has experienced an oil pump failure or bottom end with similar symptoms to mine, your input would be great. Vultures please hold back for now as I haven't made a decision yet :lol:

Any other input or advice would be great also :)

Which garage have you taken it to? If its the bottom end thats bust dropping the sump off (in fact just draining the oil) should be enough to see, did you not have the oil pump replaced when you went forged though?

If the bores are foobed then youve been unlucky but Id imagine youll need a crank or a regrind if its spun shells, its not worth taking the risk of it going pop again.

As for what would I do to replace ......... Im assuming you are going to keep the car when youve spent as much time and money on it as you have. Id probably go for another VQ as a fair amount of parts might be salvageable but if not but I wouldnt put an RB26 in, its a lot of cost in fabrication and stuff and they arent the strongest engines in the world, LSx is going to be the way to go IMO.

Out of interest what management are you running and does it not cut ignition when oil pressure drops?

I wouldnt be put off by another vq, especially seeing as on the whole is been very reliable for you, what we talking 45k-50k boosted, thats pretty impressive :) i would say thats far more reliable than a big hp rb26. If your looking for something a little more again to keep the interest, why not stroke it?

Hopefully its just the big ends :)

Did you have a forged crank by the way?

Edited by Jetpilot

Which garage have you taken it to? If its the bottom end thats bust dropping the sump off (in fact just draining the oil) should be enough to see, did you not have the oil pump replaced when you went forged though?

If the bores are foobed then youve been unlucky but Id imagine youll need a crank or a regrind if its spun shells, its not worth taking the risk of it going pop again.

As for what would I do to replace ......... Im assuming you are going to keep the car when youve spent as much time and money on it as you have. Id probably go for another VQ as a fair amount of parts might be salvageable but if not but I wouldnt put an RB26 in, its a lot of cost in fabrication and stuff and they arent the strongest engines in the world, LSx is going to be the way to go IMO.

Out of interest what management are you running and does it not cut ignition when oil pressure drops?

Got a local friend to me that's a Jap car enthusiasts mechanic. He's done all my major work since I stop taking it to DS automotives. Plus I get hands on insight so I know I'm not being ripped off or messed about :)

Always been a fan of RB26 though and its the closest I'll ever get to a skyline without actually owning one. Plus its rare. Love a LS but would never have one myself.

I'm only running uni-chip piggyback. It's on original list to be upgraded eventually, ideally want to go syvecs standalone.

Jokes aside, Sorry to hear about the car! Mines currently in bits on a garage floor atm! Just get it looked at and see from there!

Aren't you putting it back together yet?

Z1 said my package is being sent tomorrow lol.

What you got???? :lol:

I wouldnt be put off by another vq, especially seeing as on the whole is been very reliable for you, what we talking 45k-50k boosted, thats pretty impressive :) i would say thats far more reliable than a big hp rb26. If your looking for something a little more again to keep the interest, why not stroke it?

Hopefully its just the big ends :)

Did you have a forged crank by the way?

Yeah I would defiantly say 50k + boosted is well impressive, it has served me well considering it is only a second car and when it does come out, it does get some absolute stick sometimes. Its also been reliable enough as a daily in the past doing over 200 miles a week.

I'm hoping it is just the bearings and crank at worst. I assumed 350z cranks were forged as standard? I know it's not uprated.

If your looking for something a little more again to keep the interest, why not stroke it?

That always keeps my interest. :blush:

I've often toyed with the idea. Who knows, we'll see :lol: I'll probably stay as is if my pistons and rods are okay

Sorry to read this Ash. :byebye:

I've experienced oil pump failure which led to big end failure on my96 Impreza WRX that I used to own, ...also had a snapped conrod go through the block on the same WRX some 12K miles later after I'd spent a lot having it rebuilt but that's another story.

When I had my problem with the WRX it wasn't far off standard guise at the time and therefore had no oil pressure gauge. It happened whilst I was driving along the M4 on the way back from Japfest one year. The car was running fine but then when I came to the toll booth to go over the bridge it just cut out at the booth, ...I restarted it and had to keep the revs up a little to keep it running but thought maybe it was a plug/spark issue at first. :shrug:

I kept driving home hoping nothing would go wrong but then I started to hear a knocking coming from the engine. Before I had a chance to pull over the car just made a loud clatter/knocking type noise and completely cut out.

Coasted to the side of the road and called an RAC flatbed immediately as I knew it was something serious that there was no way I could fix by the side of the motorway.

Not a nice experience especially not as at the time I'd only had the car a month or so. :headhurt:

Best to just pull the motor and carry out a complete tear down, establish the root cause and take it from there.

Unusual for a forged build to go pop.

Who did the build for you ?

It did occur to me why it may of gone pop if I'm forged. Oil is topped up max on dip stick so no loss. DS automotives done the build

Sorry to read this Ash. :byebye:

I've experienced oil pump failure which led to big end failure on my96 Impreza WRX that I used to own, ...also had a snapped conrod go through the block on the same WRX some 12K miles later after I'd spent a lot having it rebuilt but that's another story.

When I had my problem with the WRX it wasn't far off standard guise at the time and therefore had no oil pressure gauge. It happened whilst I was driving along the M4 on the way back from Japfest one year. The car was running fine but then when I came to the toll booth to go over the bridge it just cut out at the booth, ...I restarted it and had to keep the revs up a little to keep it running but thought maybe it was a plug/spark issue at first. :shrug:

I kept driving home hoping nothing would go wrong but then I started to hear a knocking coming from the engine. Before I had a chance to pull over the car just made a loud clatter/knocking type noise and completely cut out.

Coasted to the side of the road and called an RAC flatbed immediately as I knew it was something serious that there was no way I could fix by the side of the motorway.

Not a nice experience especially not as at the time I'd only had the car a month or so. :headhurt:

Yeah it sucks to say the least. This is the second car I've had with engine failure. My first was a celica gen7 but self inflicted as the 140 models burn a lot of oil and I left it too long topping it up and still thrashing the poor thing haha

Yeah it sucks to say the least. This is the second car I've had with engine failure. My first was a celica gen7 but self inflicted as the 140 models burn a lot of oil and I left it too long topping it up and still thrashing the poor thing haha

Won't go into it but I've had two engine failures and both were on the JDM WRX I owned. :dry::angry:

Did have a cambelt go on a Corsa Sport before but hardly the same level of damage or hassle compared to when an engine dies. :blush:

• Like 1