'STANG thread

ATTAK Z

I think this extract from the link sums it up quite well for the people who like and also the people who dont like, in essence some people can look past its failings for the relative bargain it is and some people cant no matter the cost.

Faults? The gearbox is ready to collect its pension and on winter weather tyres, the car wandered noticeably under maximum braking. The back seats are tiny, and much of the car feels cheap.

None of this matters as much as the car’s character. The V8-powered Mustang has a super-sized personality, gets you noticed wherever it goes and has to be one of the performance car bargains of the century. Ford may have cut corners, but it’s cut them in all the right places.

Baring in mind it was an auto on test. Never going to compete with ze Germans on auto boxes.

Interesting the comments made by Chris Evans regards his opinion on the GTR price :).

;) nothing interesting about it, this is the funny thing with this thread, everyone keeps putting up links to justify their opinion, does anyone really buy a car based on what journos say, i doubt it or most of us wouldnt be driving Nissans.

The difference with the gtr is it was never going to be "better" with regards to quality, as per the Mustang, how can it for half/third of the price. But what the gtr does is beat "most" of the competition when it comes to outright speed/lap times, want it to do that or not, its a feather in its cap. The Stang will not beat any of its V8 rivals in speed or quality, but thats not what its about, so who cares ;)

Autos are the way of the world, not many people want manuals any more and if the auto box is gash, it will be a big let down for many.

Edited by Jetpilot

It is a discussion thread, the journos are adding to the discussion, what's not to get on that. Better that than just rubbishing someone else's choice of cash spending on a car. Something that I haven't done on this or any thread.

I find it interesting what these people write, all the better if it supports my opinion, if there are links that slate this particular car, I've not seen them, but it would add to the debate.

If what Chris Evans has to say about a car is not interesting, given his enormous knowledge and obvious passion for cars, then no one has anything interesting to say, especially us lot, with our basic car owning and running knowledge.

Never realised people here cared so much about the interior of a car :)

If you want a see a nice interior go and spend a day in the new £50k+ Lexus RX. It's got more leather and soft touch plastics in than every car I've ever owned combined!!

25226944709_b184aa956d_z_d.jpg

Really nice place to sit, and doesn't even look too bad. Sad thing is once you start the engine it's all goes wrong. Not all that quick, throttle lag worse than any blown machine due to an outdated 'hybrid' drive train, and only 26mpg.

25501733161_2a9a9c2017_z_d.jpg

Surely the drive train is the heart of the car, if you don't get that right everything else is just like trying to polish a turd. Ford though seem to have got the most important bit right, everything is just window dressing. If soft touch plastics is your thing than I suspect a V8 Mustang isn't really targeted at you? Maybe try your nearest Lexus show room, even the sofas they have in the reception area have really soft leather!!

I may not be interested in combustion cars for my own uses but I like what Ford is doing with the V8 Mustang. At £35K it's a hell of bargain compared to the £70K Lexus wants for their V8 machine....and I bet the Lexus doesn't come with a line-lock mode :).

25594437355_a58b046a8f_z_d.jpg

Cannot wait to see what OP thinks of the car when it finally arrives....I suspect the rear tyres wouldn't last too long.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

If someone was giving away new cars under £50k I'd be at the Ford Dealer with a boner for a Mustang.

If someone was giving away £50k in hard cash I'd be sniffing round a used Porsche in California, use the change for a 3 month road trip, sell it and come back here and buy a Nismo 370z.

Having a chance for a RHD, genuine V8, NA, muscle car in the UK might be something that doesn't happen EVER again. We'll all be listening to the sound of boosted 3 cylinders at the Traffic Light GP before long...

• Like 2

It is a discussion thread, the journos are adding to the discussion, what's not to get on that. Better that than just rubbishing someone else's choice of cash spending on a car. Something that I haven't done on this or any thread.

I find it interesting what these people write, all the better if it supports my opinion, if there are links that slate this particular car, I've not seen them, but it would add to the debate.

If what Chris Evans has to say about a car is not interesting, given his enormous knowledge and obvious passion for cars, then no one has anything interesting to say, especially us lot, with our basic car owning and running knowledge.

And there in lies the problem, no one is rubbishing your choice, no one has said its sh*t or anything like that, just its not for them and highlighted reasons they wouldnt buy it "in their opinion", just seems you wont accept an alternate view, as per your debate last night with bodyboarder.

Chris Evans enormous knowledge and running knowledge on cars, give me a break, i bet he wouldnt have half the knowledge as some on here about chassis dynamics and the inner workings of a combustion engine let alone do the builds some have completed.

Its a good choice, just not for everyone, i am sure you will enjoy it.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2

And there in lies the problem, no one is rubbishing your choice, no one has said its sh*t or anything like that, just its not for them and highlighted reasons they wouldnt buy it "in their opinion", just seems you wont accept an alternate view, as per your debate last night with bodyboarder.

Chris Evans enormous knowledge and running knowledge on cars, give me a break, i bet he wouldnt have half the knowledge as some on here about chassis dynamics and the inner workings of a combustion engine let alone do the builds some have completed.

Its a good choice, just not for everyone, i am sure you will enjoy it.

:lol:

I saw a V8 convertible next to the new FRS at Ford in Harlow yesterday. As much as it pains me to say this, I think the RS was the more alluring of the two.

Both interiors are rubbish, no getting away from that: What the Mustang gains in the cool lever switches it loses to the Recaros in the RS. Ford could really do with hiring an interior design guy from Audi... The panel fit on the Stang was awful, some nasty sharp edges protruding into the front wheel arch on both sides where bumper meets wing, although the boot was an impressive size and the rear seats much more comfortable than you'd expect.

The RS has the lovely blue calipers, and some aggressive but delicate touches on the rear bumper/diffuser. It was the driving position that impressed me the most though. In the RS you sit cocooned, with the gear lever perfectly positioned and the viewing angles were excellent. The Mustang had the awful clicky buttons for paddles, slouched seats (even when adjusted) and worst of all the bonnet is so humped (why does the engine sit so high in the bay?!) that it's guesswork as to where the nose is.

Of course, it's impossible to take an overall view of the car from sitting in a showroom, but given that they're the same price I know which would've got my money yesterday. And that comes from a lover of RWD and a hater of the mk3 Focus.

The RS is a fantastic prospect, but I'd rather save the hatchback as the running to the shops, taking the dogs out etc. I'll be in the market for one soon, it'll not be a performance/hot hatch category, but with decent motorway and urban manners.

Probably be from the massive Volkswagenseataudiskoda stable, just something I don't need to pay particular attention to. Our present Leon has done us well in this respect.

The Mustang, will be used for a feeling of occasion, well, in and out of work at any rate :). With lots of road trips to the continent.

Saw the new slang in the flesh today.Kinda of looked OK at the rear but the more I looked at it the more I didn't like it.Reminded me of one of my hot wheels toys in the 70s.Not for me at all.Inside looked cheap too.

Saw one for the first time on Richmond high street yesterday, almost didnt notice it go by so it must have been the ecoboost it was almost silent. Sorry but its a no from me in terms of would I. As echoed above, my 4 year old has a fairly good Hot Wheels collection and it really did look like something out of that, it just didn't have presence or aggression in terms of styling and like Dan said when I walked past it again and had a closer look in traffic the panels were all over the place, really disappointing, and I do like an American muscle car :(

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

there's a video coming out in a couple of weeks of the new camaro vs the BMW M4

the mondeo coupe mustang doesn't seem to compare to the camaro in all the side by side tests on the net, but unfortunately it's only available in left hand drive :(

• Like 1

Half way through this video, I'm loving it! This guy is hilarious, has something from Adam Sandler' style, ha ha! The 350R looks and sounds impressive, don't like the Camaro :D

Edit:

Just finished, very nice video, thanks! Both cars, over 12s for 1/4mile :)

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN

Half way through this video, I'm loving it! This guy is hilarious, has something from Adam Sandler' style, ha ha! The 350R looks and sounds impressive, don't like the Camaro :D

Edit:

Just finished, very nice video, thanks! Both cars, over 12s for 1/4mile :)

The 350r looks amazing, it's everything a mustang should be! I love the camaro, except it's back end is so ugly!

Most videos the Motor Trend channel upload are great, except the racing line ones, they're very samey samey

Edit: particularly Roadkill, that show is amaaaaaaaazing :lol:

Edited by AliveBoy

• 2 weeks later...