Speed Awareness Course Impact on Insurance

luka761

Ok so those lovely people at North Yorkshire Police have allegedly clocked me doing 70mph on a 60mph stretch of the A19. You know, on that bit thats straight as an arrow for 4 miles and with great visibility and absolutely no accidents?

I think I'll end up doing the speed awareness course, I just wondered if anyone has any experince with how much I can expect my insurance premium to rise. I'm currently insured with Admiral at £800 per anum (34 years old clean licence etc) and I know they are one of the insurers that specifically ask about this.

Cheers for the advice.

Luka

just been on a SA course in December and remember them mentioning Admiral are the only ones asking about it...probably around £100 for the next 3 to 5 years I remember them saying as a rough figure but it does depend on certain circumstances...

best just to change the Insurance company if possible...I left Admiral after a year as there are better options out there...

They may ask but they have no access to that information or right to ask for it really.

Bottom line it's insurance fraud.....choice is yours.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This.

Edited by Jp606

You should be aware that the police offer you the speed awareness course, you don't opt to take it instead of a fine. If you pass the course this does not count as a conviction so you do not have to inform your insurance company unless they specifically ask if you have attended such a course in which case you must tell the truth otherwise you make a false declaration to obtain insurance. If Admiral ask this question look elsewhere.

They may ask but they have no access to that information or right to ask for it really.

Bottom line it's insurance fraud.....choice is yours.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Only the police have access to speeding awareness courses, the DVLA or insurance companies do not. After 7 years from the original offense the records are completely deleted. I would imagine that in a serious accident that ends up in court you'd be on sticky ground if the police revealed you'd been on a SAC and you had lied to your insurance company, Of course if they don't ask then you may be O.K.....read the small print on your insurance documents.

Pete

Firstly, I'm with Admiral and they have never asked if I've been on the course or if I've been caught speeding. They have only asked if I have any convictions.

Secondly, I'm really not sure 'who' knows you've been on the course as 'police' checks don't seem to reveal the information either.

You can't lie about it! But if people don't ask and don't seem to be able to find the information then I don't see the harm in not mentioning it. Afterall, anyone CAN attend the course. You don't have to wait until your caught speeding.

• Like 1

Firstly, I'm with Admiral and they have never asked if I've been on the course or if I've been caught speeding. They have only asked if I have any convictions.

Just a word of caution if you have attended one, you might want to check your documents as it is 100% mentioned specifically in the contract you have with them, thus could invalidate you insurance...

...provided they ever found out.

Same goes for the OP, obviously.

Secondly, I'm really not sure 'who' knows you've been on the course as 'police' checks don't seem to reveal the information either.

You can't lie about it! But if people don't ask and don't seem to be able to find the information then I don't see the harm in not mentioning it. Afterall, anyone CAN attend the course. You don't have to wait until your caught speeding.

Have you called and spoken to them? I did a quote last year for Gill's Beemer and they (Admiral) specifically asked about speed awareness courses. It was the reason I didn't renew with them the following year. The quote went up by about £40 as well which was a tad annoying, although it's to be expected.

Just because it doesn't ask on the comparison website (or directly on the insurers website), doesn't mean it isn't in their small print... probably worth checking. It's unlikely to ever come out unless you had a serious accident, but as other's have said, you would have breached your insurance policy and lied to get insurance... not something you want to declare in later years when trying to get insurance as they generally take a much harsher view on people who've committed fraud over someone who's been on a naughty buy/girl course! :)

Edited by Paddy78

Have you called and spoken to them? I did a quote last year for Gill's Beemer and they (Admiral) specifically asked about speed awareness courses. It was the reason I didn't renew with them the following year. The quote went up by about £40 as well which was a tad annoying, although it's to be expected.

Just because it doesn't ask on the comparison website (or directly on the insurers website), doesn't mean it isn't in their small print... probably worth checking. It's unlikely to ever come out unless you had a serious accident, but as other's have said, you would have breached your insurance policy and lied to get insurance... not something you want to declare in later years when trying to get insurance as they generally take a much harsher view on people who've committed fraud over someone who's been on a naughty buy/girl course! :)

+1^^^

I can confirm that Admiral (and all the other companies under the same umbrella, Bell, Diamond, Elephant etc etc) DO require you to tell them about SAC. We can argue all day as to whether it is right or not for them to do so, but they do want to know. I've been with Admiral for several years and they always ask. Having said that, it didn't make any difference to my premium, not that I noticed anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much. Your's does seem quite high though for a 34year old with a clean license??

When I attended a SAC someone asked about insurance, the lecturer wouldn't give a definitive answer as he said insurance companies vary in their attitude to SAC's but he did say that if they asked you should declare it and tongue in cheek said to ask for a reduction in premium as after attending a SAC one should be a better driver.

In theory you would hope that the only reason Admiral ask if you have been on a SAC is that after sitting there being lectured/educated for 4 hours on the dangers of speeding etc then maybe Admiral would assume you will now be a safer driver, a lower risk and would like to reduce your premium accordingly?

(we can wish!)

In theory you would hope that the only reason Admiral ask if you have been on a SAC is that after sitting there being lectured/educated for 4 hours on the dangers of speeding etc then maybe Admiral would assume you will now be a safer driver, a lower risk and would like to reduce your premium accordingly?

(we can wish!)

If only we had a 'pigs and sky' smilie :doh::lol:

• Like 1

Seriously though, anyone can go on SAC. So it would be wrong for insurance companies to penalise you just because you've done the course!

ilogikal1, if the insurance company don't have access to the SAC attendee database, how will they be able to use this information to invalidate your claim? I know someone who has been on the SAC and then got caught speeding again. Police ran a licence check and SAC didn't come up. The conviction went to court and still no-one spotted the SAC. So, who actually has this information and can access it??

Because people talk.

If the claim was for a couple of grand then probably no-one would know, but if it was for a couple of million after you ran into a bus stop full of kids then they'll be scouring every last detail to be able to come after you for the cash. Already on here we've a number of people who've admitted to doing the course, with zero prompting. For the sake of probably £50 tops, is it worth it?

Because people talk.

If the claim was for a couple of grand then probably no-one would know, but if it was for a couple of million after you ran into a bus stop full of kids then they'll be scouring every last detail to be able to come after you for the cash. Already on here we've a number of people who've admitted to doing the course, with zero prompting. For the sake of probably £50 tops, is it worth it?

By the same token then I hope that insurance companies would not load premiums for those who have done a SAC to the same extent as those who just take the points as you would hope (back to my pigs and sky thought) that doing a course at least shows a preparedness to 'learn'.

Having said that I expect those insurance companies who want to know simply look at the fact you got caught so.......PAY US MORE MONEY!

Cynic in me says I expect they just apply a rule that attendance carried out was simply to avoid points being issued so don't expect any leniency with your new premium.......

Because people talk.

By the same token then I hope that insurance companies would not load premiums for those who have done a SAC to the same extent as those who just take the points as you would hope (back to my pigs and sky thought) that doing a course at least shows a preparedness to 'learn'.

Having said that I expect those insurance companies who want to know simply look at the fact you got caught so.......PAY US MORE MONEY!

Cynic in me says I expect they just apply a rule that attendance carried out was simply to avoid points being issued so don't expect any leniency with your new premium.......

Let's be honest here, no one actually attends these courses to learn about speed :lol:

Exactly this...people dodge the points and take the course to avoid the points rather than taking it out of the goodness of their heart to be a better driver, so the idea that its in some way equivalent to taking an advanced drivers course so makes you a safer insurance bet is clearly not the case. Its a shame its being interpreted in this way really, that some people carry on BAU on the roads having 'dodged' the points they would have automatically gotten a few years back.

Edited by coldel