Clutch/Flywheel and jerky gear changes

adam_350z

Wonder if anyone could shed some light on this.

Pulling away in first gear i tend to get judder as if im about to stall even though there is sufficient revs. Also when changing gear its impossible to change smoothly as the revs fall so fast literally every gear change is jerky.

Is this because i have or all Z's have some form of lightened flywheel? Meaning the revs all falling really quickly between changes making every change seem jerky as the revs bounce back up.

Or is it because the flywheel or clutch is just furked? I can understand if you say pulling away it just needs more revs and stop being a pussy, but when driving changing gear is impossible smoothly.

Let me know what you guys think!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

are you aware of the previous owner having done any work to the clutch or flywheel? and how many miles has your zed done?

And I know this might be teaching grandma to suck eggs, but how long have you had the car and what were you driving before it? the high biting point in a zed takes some getting used to, as with everything you might just need more practice at changing gear?

The zed certainly isn't a particularly revvy engine, so unless you're changing gear really slowly I cant see how the revs can drop that much between changes.

• Like 1

Nah ive had it over a year now. I know about the high biting point etc.

Im not changing slowly the revs are literally dropping really fast. So if i change at 3k rpm in 2nd gear by the time i get to 3rd we are at like 1.5k rpm and you get the jerk as it springs back up to say 2k rpm.

Unfortunately no i dont know the history :( but is this the effect an aftermarket flywheel would have?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Most Z's will have a duel mass fly wheel unless its been changed or up graded. if the fly wheel springs are not working correctly you may experience the symptoms you have described. I a lightened fly wheel has been fitted or a solid fly wheel this would probibly explain the speed the engine drops when depressing the clutch pedal to change gear. Like Brillomaster says the clutch pedal does ride high in the Z's but there is a difference between high clutch pedal position and a high bitting point. If the bitting point is high then i would say time to check out the clutch either way it may be an unnecessary evil to pull the box off to see.

• 3 months later...

Mine is exactly the same, I consider myself to be quite a smooth driver aswell. Only part of the car I hate is the clutch, recently fitted a braided/insulated hose and bled the system and to be honest it's not much better ! I have an HR with 54k and original clutch, flywheel and slave.