Uneven braking on JDM rear brakes.

mk1_nutter

I bought the Z back in Sept. And it would always squeek at the rear. I always kept an eye on the one side that squeeked but didnt realise all this time that the offside was over compensating and in Nov I found that the offside pads were down to metal but the nearside were like new, including the discs.

I found the pins were not as free as they should be.

I ordered new boots and cleaned the pins and carriers and installed new brakes and bled them.

The nearside seemed to have more bubbles when using a draw through tool so I bled that side manually with and ezibleed.

This weekend 4 weeks on, I noticed that the squeek is still there and the disc hasn't even lost its machining lines where offside has.

I removed the slider pins to make sure there were fine and they are. I also had someone sit in the car and press the pedle as i observed the caliper moving.

Am I looking at a potential air leak on the piston seal?

If so do I order a rebuild kit or order a new caliper....do the JMD use a caliper that's used on other model nissan

Thanks

I took the caliper off today and striped it down and gave it a good clean and de-rust as well as measure the seals to order new ones.

It's still the same which makes me worry as I did test the caliper before sliding it over the pads.

Could this potentially be an abs problems?

I took the caliper off today and striped it down and gave it a good clean and de-rust as well as measure the seals to order new ones.

It's still the same which makes me worry as I did test the caliper before sliding it over the pads.

Could this potentially be an abs problems?

Are the caliper pistons definitely free ?

Did you have the pistons out as a ring of rust can form behind the piston ?

Hi Alex,

I fully dismantled the caliper: removed it from the car, removed all seal and also took out the piston. I found light rust on the top of the piston as there was heavy rust where the metal clip holds the dust seal into. I cleaned this all and reassembled. I bleed the caliper with an Visiibleed and had no bubbles. (I will check again on the weekend with my compressor draw through tool)

pb_visibleed.jpg

I recently bought this to see if i have any air leaks when pressuring the system as i am not loosing any fluid but the cap is different.

d046d3873250b3a968e93ccb67d18bfd.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Jv3uKUnEWA.jpg

I noticed the inside of the piston (the area facing outwards) is very rusty and flaky so i too removed any loose pieces and ran a dremel sanding attachment inside.

On assemble i ran the piston in and out.

I'm wondering now if the rust inside the piston is making it imbalanced / if i need a new seal inside the caliper / if a used/new caliper will fix the problem.

Do these cars have valves for the rear brakes?

I'm also going to check the flex pipe to make sure its not expanding this evening.

• 1 month later...

ok so a new update on this:

I've installed a used caliper and hose from a fellow forum member on the Nearside. Its braking a tad better however the drivers side is still stronger. After 2 weeks of being on the car i unbolted the calipers and working on one side at a time pushed the piston out through braking and used a wind-back tool to push them back in. I too checked the sliders to be fully functional.

I cannot fault either caliper however the Offside caliper is much stronger and the pads are at half life after 3 months of use whereas the nearside are barely used.

I find that i can physically move the Nearside caliper by hand but the Offside has little movement. Could i be looking at a faulty ABS unit? It feels that either the Nearside piston is being drawn back too much so when pushed out its not as forceful as the Offside or the Offside is not being drawn back enough.

• 1 year later...