Braking Judder

DRP08

Whenever I brake, particularly at high speeds, there's a fast juddering that continues until I take my foot off the pedal. I had a brief word with my local garage, who immediately asked if I could feel it up the steering column - I can.

Their recommendation was new discs and pads, but I just wanted a quick check to see if people thought this was the only possible cause.

The garage are great for customer service, but he admits he doesn't see too many 350Z's, yet he seemed to reach his conclusion very quickly!!

Seem about right, as it is only there when you brake.

However, take the wheels off and check the discs and pads, might have a lip on the disc which you can get sorted for less than a new set, but will probably still need to replace pads as that would carve out a chunk in them :(

If you have the cash, now is the time to upgrade and get some really good quality brakes, but what sort of driving do you do?

Track? Fast road? or just normal road/commuting style?

disc 'run out' - perfectly normal - ignore it

its the pad transfer distribution on the disc - if its uneven you get judder

only way to resolve is to either reskim the discs/new pads or new discs/pads

either way it will probably return as you never get the 'bedding in' procedure right

i had this on my last set - which lasted around a year - recently put reskimmed discs/new pads on and it went (but expect it will return)

• Like 1

if a disc has a run out it can cause brake judder , has anyone measured the run out?

Also we have found a lot of 350Z having run out on the front wheel bearing flange this will cause run out on the brake as well.

I do agree a lot of brake judder is caused by brake pad material transfer but 1st thing I would check would be disc/wheel bearing flange run out.

either way it will probably return as you never get the 'bedding in' procedure right

i had this on my last set - which lasted around a year - recently put reskimmed discs/new pads on and it went (but expect it will return)

Hope you don't mind me saying but havnt read such rubbish in a long time.

When all components are checked cleaned and the discs then skimmed on the car by a professional brake judder will not return.

• Like 5

Marcus,

that's what I thought, I agree a lot of braking issues are caused by pad material being left on rotors , normally caused by people holding there foot on the brakes after stopping with hot brakes (brakes make heat)

But ANY run out will cause issues. Also make sure the bearing flange is perfect as well , Marcus (Disc Skimmers) and Abbey have had a lot of issues with 350Z's with wheel bearing flange having run out.

Marcus,

that's what I thought, I agree a lot of braking issues are caused by pad material being left on rotors , normally caused by people holding there foot on the brakes after stopping with hot brakes (brakes make heat)

But ANY run out will cause issues. Also make sure the bearing flange is perfect as well , Marcus (Disc Skimmers) and Abbey have had a lot of issues with 350Z's with wheel bearing flange having run out.

As we know Mark there are many conundrums when brake judder is present.

Statistically pad deposit (overheated pad smeared on the disc is very rare and usually only achieved on track).

Hot spots where the hot brake pad has been held onto the disc is quite common and acheivable on the road.

When all components are checked cleaned and the discs then skimmed on the car by a professional brake judder will not return.

yes it will if the disks are not bedded in properly - which they never are

yes it will if the disks are not bedded in properly - which they never are

How many new car owners and particularly those buying performance cars 'bed-in' the new brakes - a tiny fraction I suspect. Or indeed those who have new pads/discs fitted?

Sorry, but unless you are talking about track work where it is important to get the discs/pads run-in before pushing the car to the limit the need for bedding-in is just not necessary in the vast majority of cases. As Marcus/Mark say above there are "many conundrums" that can cause judder so best off letting the experts diagnose what the cause is before jumping to conclusions.