Left my car unlocked last night & was robbed

Kieran_ctr

He's home at 6:30 so he will Check it but just sent me a screenshot of the angle it's at & if his night vision is good we will definitely have something!

A139C0EE-7991-4191-9C86-4BAA0DB4B7C5_zpss8cpkczu.jpg

Fingers crossed! I always have lots of change in my car haha loads down the side of my seat! They took my money but not my iPhone charger case or my NY hat :/

A couple of things, on Caroline's HR Zed if you unlock the door, by accident or not and then don't open it, it'll lock itself after a couple of minutes. My older Zed doesn't seem to do this. It could be an HR thing, a Roadster thing or the way the key is programmed, don't really know.

Secondly, the opposite happened to me, my RS Turbo was stolen (and recovered the next day) but the thieves left all of my stuff in the car, including £15 in notes and a couple of quid in loose change :shrug:

Pete

I cant say I've ever had a problem with accidentally unlocking my car :s

however, there was that occasion when parking up in a multi-storey, I forgot to put the window up on my gfs car... it was sat there for 3 hours with the window down. Luckily it was by far and away the least valuable car in the Mailbox carpark and nothing had been stolen - although people did deposit a few mcdonalds wrappers and drinks in it :(

I once went to watch Liverpool play Wolves at Molyneux in my brand new Mini. Got there about 3 hours before kick off, parked up on a main road, had a few drinks, watched the match then returned to my car after about 5 hours. Hit the panic button when I couldn't find my keys.....then discovered I'd left them in the door :scare:

Pete

Well that's a sh**ter Kieran but glad they didn't get much or take the car or vandalise it inside somehow like with poo or something equally disgusting. :thumbdown:

Fingers crossed your neighbour has some good footage you can use but I wouldn't hold out much hope as when my mate had his Impreza broken into (stole money & his stereo) they had the thief dead to rights on camera including a full face shot.

It was put in the local paper that week by "Crime Stoppers" but the Police still never caught the guy who did it.

Even when they do catch the crims they usually get off lightly anyway like the guy who broke into my Dads TVR some years back. Got DNA from blood after he cut himself on the window he broke to get in. Eventually he was caught doing another crime & they linked him to the break in on my Dads car. He was ordered to pay a £100 or so to my Dad but the judge let the scroat pay it 50 pence per week. :blink::bang:

Then he decided to stop paying altogether. :glare:

• Like 1

At least there was no damage, just gives you a nasty feeling that some scum bag has been rummaging through your car!

Exactly the same thing happened to me a few months back although they only made off with about £2.50! Left my dashcam though, I imagine they didn't see it as its hidden behind the rear view mirror (or in front of it, whichever way you prefer). I'm always concious of locking my doors, it makes me wonder how often somebody is going round at night trying their luck! :angry:

Edited by Durk
  • Like 1

If i caught someone meddling with my car or house ' i think i would totally lose it and end up severely harming them

It makes my blood boil that these low lifes help themselves to property that belongs to hard working people causing damage in the process mainly to fund an addiction to drugs . They probably dont work so we are paying for them already out of our taxes so in theory they are robbing us twice over.. My neighbour is a police woman and i told her my feelings about the feeble justice given and that my own would be much more satisfying. She said i would be the one in trouble if i did. I said it would be his word against mine and if they can lie there way out then i can do the same

I hope you leave the bugger well alone, a desperate smackhead is not someone I'd be chasing for the sake of £20.

That's a very good point. Is it really worth aggravating. Possibly a blessing in disguise and a wake up call to check your car is locked in future and not leave anything valuable in it.

That said, do nothing and he robs someone else tonight, even worse hurts someone. Pass it to police with statements from people that can ID him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is by far the best way forward with this imo. ;)

As much as most of us would like to get our hands on someone who steals from us/damages our cars/property etc and then inflict our own sense of justice on them by beating them severally to a pulp, ....the reality & cold facts are that most of us are law abiding, good people for the most part.

We have people we love in our lives, things we value; jobs, friends, possessions etc and in most cases a great deal of freedom to do what we like, when we like, that if we did inflict harm on others, even if on criminals, however noble or righteous, there would be consequences for us.

There will be times people are pushed beyond their limits & to hurt others who have done them wrong but for breaking into a car, stealing £20, hell even £200 it's not worth doing the time or worse getting stabbed by some smack head who really could teach you the real meaning of "doesn't give a f**k" and puts you in hospital or worse kills you.

My 2 pence. :thumbs:

• Like 2

That said, do nothing and he robs someone else tonight, even worse hurts someone. Pass it to police with statements from people that can ID him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree with this and Ekona's comment.

He could've caused considerable damage inside the car trying to get at head unit or out of pure spite but he didn't.

He took advantage of your mistake by pure chance, I'm not advocating his actions but just trying to put it into perspective.

Also agree with GM's comments and just to add a twist we don't know this guys back story and hopefully getting him into the system could be the turning point in this persons life - with age I've become more aware of pivotal points in lives that could take them down a dark path.

Don't get me wrong I'd be furious if it was my P&J but rushing out to serve "justice" even though we would all want to do that in the heat of the moment but is far from the right thing to do.

• Like 2

Wow good job on the footage, at least you know who it was.

Must be a terrible feeling knowing your car isn't safe on your own drive - could've been worse.

I read every day about people keying cars and know first hand the costs involved having to get then repaired.

If you are homeless and a smack-head you are desperate. Imagine how horrible your life is being desperate like that.

As others have said, report him and hope that the system can help him. And don't leave the door unlocked and he won't bother you again anyway. Most of us would shudder with horror if we saw how much of our precious 'stuff' was checked out by dodgy people. Thankfully they tend to go for the easy pickings so the best course is always to not be an easy picking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now invest like a fiver in a key bowl/hook/plate for the hallway, no more sitting on keys once you enter the house

Don't keep the bowl near the front door or any windows, some thieves in Basingstoke recently have gotten away with a few Merc's by using one of those lazy grab stick things (like a litter picker) through the letter box to grab the keys!

Heroin is the absolute worst, as others have said, the vigilante justice approach is a bad idea. While these people may not be tough they can be ruthless, careless and dangerous.

I know a couple of people who got involved with that stuff back in my somewhat colorful past (gigging musician), one of them is dead, the other will be in jail in no time. The one who's still alive was a friend of mine for nearly a decade, he was a good lad but not anymore, he's an absolute scumbag. He owed money to a mutual friend and invited him round to "give him what he owed", waited until he had him in the house then someone jumped out from behind the door, locked it, put a knife to his throat and three of them beat him up and tried to rob him, told him he wasn't getting his money back.

My mate had gave him money to clear debts to some bad people to save him from getting a hiding and that's how he repaid him? Unbelievable. Sorry for going a bit off topic but it's an example of how desperate these people are, willing to do that to a long term friend to save a few quid. So in short, as others have said better off avoiding conflict.

• Like 1

Buy a huge German Shepherd.

Deploy GS on passenger seat.

Car security sorted.

Then see a post of animal rights activist on Facebook condemning the mistreatment of GS :lol:

Lol.

I said this because when I was in Ruthin (lovely spa hotel) there was an M5 parked outside in the village. There was a GS in it with all the windows open.

As we approached to walk past it had a look on its face like "yeah. Go on then. See what happens"

• Like 1