bedding in procedure

Jay Kay

Fitted my new Brembo front pads and discs yesterday and took the car out this morning. Did half a dozen 50mph to almost zero stops in quick succession before coming to a junction that happened to have an old boy sitting there on a push bike. I stopped and glanced over and saw the look of fear on his face as he stared at my wheels!

I look forward to see plumes of smoke billowing up from the wheels. I'm quite sure this must be normal considering what i'd done but if not please shout. Return journey was fine

Should be:

50-20 low pressure x10

70-40 med pressure x10

100-40 as hard as you can before ABS x10

...each with a long gap between, driving at speed to get some decent airflow over the brakes to cool them i.e. not touching them at all. In theory a little smoke isn't surprising, but a lot would be a worry. And make sure you don't sit on the brakes at a junction when they're that hot, you'll transfer material over in seconds.

• Like 1

Should be:

50-20 low pressure x10

70-40 med pressure x10

Not knowing any better so prepared to be shot down, but is this bedding in process really necessary? :surrender:

Have a quick read of three links put up from different bake manufacturers, all slightly different, take your pick and sure you will be happy that their procedure works and your brakes will be sufficently bed in, there is no definitive guide to follow.

Should be:

50-20 low pressure x10

70-40 med pressure x10

...each with a long gap between, driving at speed to get some decent airflow over the brakes to cool them i.e. not touching them at all. In theory a little smoke isn't surprising, but a lot would be a worry. And make sure you don't sit on the brakes at a junction when they're that hot, you'll transfer material over in seconds.

I used this as a guide for my new DBA T2 and Hawk Ceramic all round and worked perfect, spent a lot of money so took on board the knowledge from other members, glad I did 500 miles later and sweet as a nut.

It was hard but just needed to be done when out and quiet on the roads

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Is it normal for the brakes to feel a bit spongy the following day? I followed the bed In process (10 hard/firm stops 60 - 10) then cool then repeat another set once more. Got the nice grey blue tinge over the discs. Next day however noticed the brakes felt worse than what they were before bedding in? (Done aprox 200 miles originally just light braking to get the coating off first).

Don't know what up.

Edited by C-Fed