Tax for JDM models

Gus-350z

Hi guys! Not necessarily a technical question so mods please move if posted in the wrong place!

Basically I was just wondering what the exact legislation is for tax. So cars registered before the 23rd March 2006 are cheaper to tax (around the 23rd March, I may be wrong), but is this the "date of FIRST registration" or the "date of FIRST registration with the DVLA"?

I've had a quick look and can't seem to find anything absolute either way, but I'm guessing some of you guys must have JDMs that were registered in Japan in 2005 or something, then imported in 2007 for example, so what tax bracket do you pay?

Cheers in advance!

Hmm, this is copied and pasted from DVLA website..

4. First year of registration

These rates apply when a vehicle is first registered.

Then when you look at the car info they hold it has criteria for "date first registered" and "date first registered by DVLA".. so assuming they are consistent with their nomenclature, it should (hopefully) be the lower rate

I had an '03 registered in '07. Paid the cheaper tax bracket although the mycarcheck site thought it would be the higher rate.

Mine is an 04 JDM and registered in the UK in 2015 - £230 for 12 months - Tax class PLG.

It is the date first registered in Japan that counts, and if it is less than 10 years old you will have to pay the higher rate.

Cheers guys! Just what I was after thank you! :thumbs:

Very true.

If you don't fill in the initial registration form correctly, you will likely end up paying more.

Paul Bowden at Japautoagent advised me on what to put in each box on the form.

Looking at my V55, the DVLA still made a mistake and my zed is listed as "Fairlady Turbo".

I have looked everywhere under the bonnet and still can't find the Turbo! :)

• 1 year later...