Steering lock failure (2012 Zed)

fuzboo

The steering lock engagement has been intermittent the past 3 days, always made the mechanical *whirrr* as normal but didn't always engage and lock. Parked it last night, *whirrr* but lock not engaged (could turn wheels). This morning.. dead, with solid key symbol. It's had the once over from the RAC (keys, battery etc) and now awaiting recovery.

2012 car, 30k miles, 10 months out of warranty (sigh..), steering lock revision 48700 JF00D-B1-01 dated 03.08.10. I'm assuming this falls well outside of the recall business, so not looking forward to what's coming next. :(

Before the recovery truck gets there you may be able to free it and then remove the fuse.

you will need to bang the steering column where the key lock would normally be while pushing the start button.

If you get it to turn to on and release then you must remove the fuse while it is still on.

For more details search on here and 370z.com

If you can do this then just leave the fuse out and you dont need a fix.

A new lock is around £1250 fitted.

Thanks for that, but it stayed stubbornly dead. :(

Quoted approx. £600 to replace. Dealer thought there was a strong case for goodwill from Nissan given the age of the car and the part that's failed, so a case has been opened & we'll see where that goes.

• 1 month later...

I wouldnt suggest pulling the fuse altogether , however replacing the 10a fuse with a blown one could well be an option ;)

You need to unlock the steering and then pull the fuse which is in the compartment next to the battery for those that are interested

Good point Will! I'll leave as is and hope I font suffer the issue

I don't agree. I have a 2011 GT with 19k and it just went.

Most of my trips are abroad, with the few around my neighbourhood. Luckily it went on me here. Abroad or far from home and that will be one day to forget about. I'm asking the dealer at the moment once they have fixed it to ensure the problem does not come back by pulling the fuse. Not sure the insurance company cares about you pulling a fuse - I don't think that is going to invalidate any claim re theft / accident etc.

If you declare that it has factory fitted security to obtain the insurance and then disable said security I would very much think the insurance company will care if they find out about it and can save themselves some money on a payout.

If you declare that it has factory fitted security to obtain the insurance and then disable said security I would very much think the insurance company will care if they find out about it and can save themselves some money on a payout.

True - but there is a workaround as already mentioned above. And you're talking about vehicle theft - and return. No one is going to be hot-wiring this thing.

Having had 2 vehicles stolen from me in the past, I kind of know what happens in this situation...

Edit: ^ not 370's lol. an Audi and a Pug 6.

Edited by davicio

• 2 weeks later...

First time on this forum. This weekend the dreaded steering lock failed and the car was dead RAC couldn't figure out the problem so car had to be recovered to Nissan Dealers in Polesworth. Reading all the posts on this subject there was a recall issued number P3208 and refers to cars upto VIN no ending in 0300691. My car is a 60 plate Roadster and VIN No is 0200895 so falls before the recall cutoff. But when I spoke to the dealer they say the car doesn't fall within the recall number. Also the part is on back order and will take 3 weeks to be delivered. Can anyone help with information so that I can get my car back on the road. I would have tried the various suggestions on the forum but didn't know what the problem was until car was at the garage then it was too late.

• 1 month later...

Car has been off the road now from 11th March. Nissan Customer service advise that the car isn't covered by a recall. Dealer has advised that part will arrive on the 25th April hopefully.

Six weeks is ridiculous. If you've got a full dealer service history you need to turn the screws on Nissan customer services.

Picked up my car today all working ok. Interestingly the part that has been fitted is part number 48700-1NC1B expected the bill to be over £1000 but was pleasantly surprised to find it came to just over £400.