Upgraded throttle body

martybhoy

The plenum opening being 70mm isnt a problem really as it doesnt have a butterfly in it acting as a restriction and turbulating the air.

Tricky youre correct except at WOT where you dont want resteictions and as little vacuum as possible as youre not metering tje air to control rpm :)

Should have a sample plate soon, assuming it fits then the kit will be ready but Ive been thinking that it might be better to also develop a larger diameter intake pipe and MAF housing as to see the best gains requires it all as a package. This unfortunately would have to have a remap when fitted to recalibrate the maf.

Also wanted to ask same question like Tricky. This TB would have much more snese on after market plenum which has a larger diammeter than stock. Like this again you have a backpresure coming 75mm to 70mm

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I can get the calcs done if you like but a 70mm open hole flows a lot more than a the throttle body will with the throttle plate and shaft through the middle :)

Edit: also the adapter plate is tapered to ensure a smooth transition and thisbwill srrve to accelerate the air slightly increasing velocity and lwading to a better fill of the plenum in the same way tapered trumpets and throttle bodies do.

:)

Edited by fake ben taylor

I see no mention of the dyno testing done in the US with the upper plenum removed during a dyno run, and the clear gains had when a bloke took it off. they found 25bhp!

Next for research, have a look at dyno results of the same car when they added a 90mm TB with a custom inlet manifold by Carbotron.

and as per Mark's graph, look at that vacuum!

there is power to be made in the inlet track. you just need to decide where you want to start looking for it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So it’s been a couple of years since the last post on this thrread I was wondering if this had gone anywhere? I’m very interested with a larger TB to combine with 06+ air box/filter*/plenum spacer*/mrev2/hfc*/cat-back*/remap* (*already installed). I’m looking at importing the NWP but a domestic option would be very interesting.

Does anyone know whether Ben managed to finalise a design?

26 minutes ago, Stan350Z said:

So it’s been a couple of years since the last post on this thrread I was wondering if this had gone anywhere? I’m very interested with a larger TB to combine with 06+ air box/filter*/plenum spacer*/mrev2/hfc*/cat-back*/remap* (*already installed). I’m looking at importing the NWP but a domestic option would be very interesting.

Does anyone know whether Ben managed to finalise a design?

After having my nwp and having it mapped it wasn' worth it 

It should be the last thing you do after long tube headers and everything else tbh

• Like 1

That’s great info thanks, I’ll move the TB to a later stage of the plan in that case. Reckon given my current bolt ons it’s worth doing another remap after mrev2, velocity stack? The last remap with existing bolt ons got 312bhp at the fly.

I have had experiences of larger throttle bodies in a couple of cars and neither particularly good, great for a few more hp, but in both experiences part throttle they were horrible, great if you are on a drag strip though. Unless you want to spend an absolute fortune on dyno time getting the mapping just right, i really wouldnt bother, all depends what you use the car for i guess.

Yes but no. The throttle butterfly itself causes a restriction even at wide open throttle, so a larger throttle body can help offset the restriction. Allowing for more air to pass either side of the butterfly, aside from the slightly larger TB itself.