Brad's full engine rebuild - Done, in, running MOT passed!

-Bradders-

How's the crank looking? any scoring from the white metal bearings? Looks like a lot of work mate, best of luck, been hording most of those parts but has taken a few years to get them all! Also you missed new valves as those look shot :surrender:

I think I have a DE head gasket in my kit that I wont be using but you will probably pick up the same gasket/engine rebuild kit I got which has all the gaskets,seals etc.

• Like 1

How's the crank looking? any scoring from the white metal bearings? Looks like a lot of work mate, best of luck, been hording most of those parts but has taken a few years to get them all! Also you missed new valves as those look shot :surrender:

I think I have a DE head gasket in my kit that I wont be using but you will probably pick up the same gasket/engine rebuild kit I got which has all the gaskets,seals etc.

Waiting for Clark's to get a price back to me for all the parts. I did mention earlier but crank is being reground lightened and balanced with the new lightened pulley and lightened flywheel the bores are being rehoned to and the heads are getting a port and polish :D

Had some bad news with the gear box. Looks like the layshaft might be FUBAR. Looks like the box has previously had a cheap rebuild using second hand parts. I'll upload some pics soon!

Reading this with nothing but admiration Bradders, can't believe the torrid time you have had. She is going to be a beaut when complete; care free reliable driving for the future. Just don't sell the damn thing in a years time.

As many have mentioned; it makes me wonder what state my motor is in!!

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Reading this with nothing but admiration Bradders, can't believe the torrid time you have had. She is going to be a beaut when complete; care free reliable driving for the future. Just don't sell the damn thing in a years time.

As many have mentioned; it makes me wonder what state my motor is in!!

Keep up the good work.

Thought about selling it when it was done haha, but i cant do that to it!

Uploading some pics of the gearbox now! hoping ewen gets back to me asap with the prices lol.

Y'know, fair play to you on this Brad. It's utterly financial suicide to do this when the car overall is worth nearly as much as the repair costs and hardly much more when you're done, but to take the job on AND do it properly because you love the car? Yeah, fair play my friend, fair play.

• Like 8

meh, it's all in a days work :lol:

I enjoy it anyway, if i would have made the decision earlier in life to do mechanics, i would be a happy man. I love tinkering with cars, i know someone is doing this for me, but i'm there, i'm watching and i'm learning!

I bought the car cheap tbh, i paid 5k for it, even if its only worth 5k when i come to sell it, meh, i dont buy cars to make a profit, i buy cars to enjoy them for what they are. driving feels like you're in your own little world, nothing matters and you have no worries, and if i have to pay over the odds to get that feeling whilst in a car i enjoy driving then i will lol, least i know it won't (shouldn't) break down lol :lol:

• Like 3

Y'know, fair play to you on this Brad. It's utterly financial suicide to do this when the car overall is worth nearly as much as the repair costs and hardly much more when you're done, but to take the job on AND do it properly because you love the car? Yeah, fair play my friend, fair play.

Beautifully put.

Excellent work Brad id love to undertake a job like this if i had the time and mine was needing repair, i love working on cars. Its a shame that i focused on working offshore a few years ago and not on car mechanics now the offshore industry is looking rubbish.

Edited by jimmy.farrow7
  • Like 1