Spain 2016

This is sort of a bump as I'm getting some good ideas from 370ZRDevon but here is my route map so far. I have done Green Spain to La Coruna, Santiago de Campostela and Oporto plus the Pyrenees and Picos de Europa 3 times so I'm really looking for some good info for a bit further south. I prefer to avoid the Costas and Gibraltar though.

https://www.google.c...FwQ&usp=sharing

How many days is the trip for?

I can go dig out my old route, I know there's some great roads on there further south if you'd like to try them. Also, on the route north there's an incredible hotel you simply MUST stay in, it's absolutely beautiful and really not that pricey at all. :)

How many days is the trip for?

I can go dig out my old route, I know there's some great roads on there further south if you'd like to try them. Also, on the route north there's an incredible hotel you simply MUST stay in, it's absolutely beautiful and really not that pricey at all. :)

I remember the pictures of that, looked awesome, keep meaning to strike out for Spain when we drive down to the south of France but never get round to it. Must sort it out this year.

Okay, I can't find the actual route I took as I did have to edit it slightly on the fly anyway, but this was my plan:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zzC6a6zGdH_o.k5qpKT6dKHXI&msa=0

The roads into the Sierra Nevada are massively worth doing, as is the road into Ronda. There's a little squiggly bit too just after that, again that was put in for a reason :D

I can definitely recommend sticking with the road to Girona once on the N260, it's one of those roads you never really want to end. I know you said that Gib doesn't interest you, but it's a really quaint place to visit if you can find the time. Plus, monkeys!

Worth a divert into Portugal if you've never driven it before, I'm gutted I don't have the exact route to hand as there was a stunning dam just near the border that was epic to drive over.

As you go past Zamora, go east towards Toro. There you'll find the Hotel Valbusenda, which is simply the most amazing place. It has it's own winery on site, the rooms are amazing, but the food is absolutely out of this world. Unless you have another place to stay that you're sure is better, then you MUST stay there.

When you're that far north, the Europas are so close that you probably should take a peek. I didn't get there due to a bout of acrophobia, but I've no doubt they're stunning. The northern coast road isn't as exciting as you'd hope, certainly not after the beauty that is the south.

Tbh though I loved it all, it's my favourite driving country and everyone is so friendly. You'll love every second of it, I still need to go back again myself one day.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally decided to scrap ideas for southern Spain as it looked difficult to put together consistently good roads and find hotels with character and charm that also had secure and accessible parking.

So, back to the Pyrenees, France and green Spain. 3 weeks and two days with 3 layovers and taking in the Blancpain race at Paul Ricard. Here's the route.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z1ahuj2hTEPI.kh8oRsg_Z_ek&usp=sharing