Engine noise at idle

Jack Carter

Video compiling as I type this. I think I may have sussed the issue. I think it is the exhaust.

The video I'm posting shows Idling from a cold start, Idling when warm, Switching on Air Con, Gentle revving and idle - all of which sound perfect with no noise issues. The final part of the clip is after a short run in the car. The noise can then be heard clearly. While I was looking I dropped my keys on the floor. When I bent down to pick them up I could hear the noise more clearly from under the car so I got underneath and it was much louder there, which leads me to think it is the exhaust.

Any thoughts ?

Can't see how to embed youtube clips so,

Video Link - https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Thanks everyone.

Your vid (just need to delete the "s" from http in the Link url box):

http://youtu.be/Pr91JcRREJ0

• Like 1

That's the annoying thing. It sounds absolutely great to me as soon as I drive it. It's only when idling that the noise occurs...

I've just filled in the contact form on Cougar Stores site asking about getting it checked. Is it a mammoth job to identify if it is the gallery gaskets ?

(on a side note, anyone else suffer from missing letters when replying on here using Internet Explorer 11? It is fine in chrome ??)

Edited by Jack Carter

To me it sounds pretty normal from my days with the 370 - maybe with the idling a tad on the low side. The engines are not exactly renowned for quiet running at either end of the rev range.

im with colin it sounds fine

it sounds a bit diffrent on the last bit but nothing major

andy and mitz at the cs will see you right ;)

• Like 3

(on a side note, anyone else suffer from missing letters when replying on here using Internet Explorer 11? It is fine in chrome ??)

Yeah, It`s a long standing problem with IE and the site.

Edited by Wayne370Z
  • Like 1

Also as soon as the car detects low oil pressure, 1. You will get engine management light. 2. Obviously a code. 3. The car will go into limp mode to prevent further damage. I'm 99.9% certain your oil gallery gaskets are fine. I'm assuming all oil levels are fine?

Edited by laytonanthony
  • Like 1

Also as soon as the car detects low oil pressure, 1. You will get engine management light. 2. Obviously a code. 3. The car will go into limp mode to prevent further damage. I'm 99.9% certain your oil gallery gaskets are fine. I'm assuming all oil levels are fine?

Out of interest how does the car detect low oil temperature ? Playing around with logging software I cant find a pressure sensor on the engine

Dual mass Flywheel maybe? Early stages they will get a slight knock? Mine had gone on mine that gad done 36k.

Its an auto according to the first post , could be the flex plate but then it could be a lot of things thats why it needs checking hands on

Edited by Richf
  • Like 1

Doesn't sound that bad to me, they are noisy engines, the cam and injector noise can be amplified by the large amount of alloy in the engine,

Didn't the OP mention putting it in park so I would presume its auto? th gallery gaskets wont be a cause, apart from the fact that the oil pressure is already low at idle, unless there was a serious lack of oil you wont hear it from the engine, aside from CEL etc.

• Like 1