Action camera suction mounts

chirag1988

I've bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301719141396?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm using it with my EE Action Camera at the moment, and have used the suction mount from the inside of the windscreen and it has a strong hold.

I want to try it out on the outside of the car next, but just a bit concerned as to how the suction will effect the paintwork if at all?

Wanted to try it out on the back of the car to get some good sound clips of the exhaust and also some POV positions as well.

Anyone had or heard of any issues with the suction mount on the paintwork/bodywork?

I know plenty of people use the GoPro suction cup mounts on paintwork without damaging the paint/body & I guarantee you that's a stronger suction cup mount than that eBay special.

The only things to bear in mind would be that you'll want clean, grit free paintwork for the suction cup to mount to and also you'll want some kind of tether to hold the camera just in case it does come unstuck. ;)

It won't affect the paintwork at all. I'd be more concerned with it falling off tbh!

Make sure you clean the area you want to stick it to before suctioning, just a microfibre and a bit of QD will do.

I know plenty of people use the GoPro suction cup mounts on paintwork without damaging the paint/body & I guarantee you that's a stronger suction cup mount than that eBay special.

The only things to bear in mind would be that you'll want clean, grit free paintwork for the suction cup to mount to and also you'll want some kind of tether to hold the camera just in case it does come unstuck. ;)

Thanks guys, will give it a go when the weather clears up a bit :) and yes will also tether it somehow so it doesn't fall off either!

You can buy tethers for the GoPros etc like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOPRO-HERO-4-3-3-2-1-CAMERA-TETHERS-TWIN-2-PACK-GO-PRO-3M-ADHESIVE-UK-UNIVERSAL-/131166692825?hash=item1e8a24e5d9:g:b4gAAOSwo6lWMhqM

Although they are more meant for tethering the camera to a helmet/surfboard or similar imo where pulling the paint off when you remove the tether might not be such a concern.

If it was me I'd make my own tether by using an extra (larger) suction cup and just attaching some wire or similar from the suction cup to the camera. As long as it can hold the weight of the camera plus its mount should they both fall off and not allow either to hit the road then it'll be fine. :teeth: