Traction

guBBy

With the bad weather recently I have been noticing that my zed has been kicking the rear out when accelerating in a straight line.

This is happening in 4th gear at 65mph which is a bit disconcerting!

I'm guessing it is all down to the tyres as they were new tyres when I got the car a year ago but I would class them as of ditch finder quality.

I appreciate the weather has been shocking over last few days but yesterday it was only lightly raining and it was still trying to kill me in a straight line.

Is this as simple as stump up the money for some decent tyres and the traction issue will go or is my diff possibly on its way out the car is on 65000 miles.

As alway thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem fairly sure it's tyres and if they are not quality ones (there are umpteen threads on here as to the 'good/not so good/plain awful') but would encourage you have a 4-wheel alignment when the new tyres are fitted, as that could well be a factor, albeit will never address the use of shite tyres.

Thanks for your input.

I definitely feel something isn't right with the car with as it just wasn't that wet yesterday and at 4000rpm in third straight line it just snapped away luckily the traction control sorts it all out but it does give you a bit of a fright.

It is due an mot in January so after that I think I will get an alignment done when I change the tyres. Is it okay to just buy two new rears at the moment as I'm not sure I can afford 4 new tyres in January even though I would like too. The tread looks fine on the 4 tyres that are on at the moment.

I'm at work today so can't check tyre sizes until tonight although I will up date the thread when I know.

I know the 350 has a fair dollop of torque but would be very surprised if it had enough to step out from a straight line at 65mph in 4th no matter what the tyres or conditions, i would be looking at geometry first and foremost, get onto a Hunter alignment and get it set up :)

Edited by Jetpilot

sympathy to the conditions

This.

Had budget tyres on mine the whole time I owned it and never had any issues with losing traction or the traction control system being intrusive, not even in the snow. Get the geometry checked over for peace of mind, but if you're genuinely getting this:

4000rpm in third straight line it just snapped away

you either drive like a complete tool or your car has a serious fault.

Also, please use the app "glympse" so we can see where you're driving and keep well out of the way.

mine would spin up in the wet in 3rd gear at motorway speeds on the no-name tyres my car came with. sure it was budget rubber but i think the bigger issue was the tread depth getting close to 3mm.

so check the thread depth and if it's approaching 3mm then get some new rubber.

sure they may still be legal, but mine was at the point where i couldn't follow a normal car in the wet without my back end giving way. now i know the zed isn't the most agile of beats, but when pottering about with shopping i do expect it to keep pace with other cars that are driving normally.

Cheers for that alive boy, the reason I'm on here asking about the traction issues is that I'm not driving in anyway aggressively or as you say like a tool.

I'm having serious traction issues that weren't there when I bought the car a year ago. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to accelerate in 3rd gear on a dual carriage way that is empty in both lanes.

Everyone else thanks for the input and I will book the car in for the geometry check in the new year and also update tonight with the tyre size incase it has anything to do with it.

• Like 1

Good tyres and sympathy to the conditions

Mine tries to kill me in the damp /wet on MPSS

Is a rear wheel drive car its in there blood when it's wet just chill and look cool ;)

Lol 'chill and look cool' perhaps easier said than done as you are staring in a terrified way into the eyes of the person who 2 seconds ago was behind you.

• Like 1

Good tyres and sympathy to the conditions

Mine tries to kill me in the damp /wet on MPSS

Is a rear wheel drive car its in there blood when it's wet just chill and look cool ;)

Lol 'chill and look cool' perhaps easier said than done as you are staring in a terrified way into the eyes of the person who 2 seconds ago was behind you.

Give them a salute (or a wink and blow them a kiss if they're a tasty bird), then do a J-turn and drive off. That's what I do anyway.

lol this is the thing my zed is spinning its wheels just keeping up with normal traffic I'm not putting my foot to the floor as I said earlier 4th gear at 65 shouldn't be doing this regardless of tyres. I'll try my best to check tyre pressures tonight but depends when k folkish work car isn't a daily driver.

It might, if the revs are sky high when it suddenly regains the traction and starts putting power to the wheels on a wet surface. I have no idea of the experience of the OP, so he may well not be familiar with how the drivetrain works. it certainly sounds like he has a binary throttle in any case.

My zed used to do this all the time prior to fitting new wheels, suspension & tyres. The rear and front tyres (Cheap federal ones) had accidentally been switched round and I'm pretty sure they hadn't been aligned professionally either.

Since Meister R, MPSS & alignment I have to seriously give it welly on roundabouts to get the arse out.

So yeah - what everyone else has said!

Re the clutch, in dry conditions I have no issues with clutch slipping as I did think that might be a problem. When I see that name federal mentioned by someone I'm sure that's the tyres that are on mine but I haven't been able to check tonight. Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions so far. I will update once I get it checked out. As I said mot is due in the new year so will do it all at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm leaning towards tyres as the other have said, maybe size/alignment check is needed too.

I've gone foot flat in 2nd/3rd round a corner in the rain and only wiggled a tiny bit, and my tyres only have 3,5mm left on them all round, Falken 453's if that helps.

Is it everywhere, or only in certain places? I have a nasty corner on my way to work that I don't feel safe taking faster than at the posted speed limit, yet I have taken harder and faster turns on private land much faster. It could be down to bad road surface too perhaps?