Brakes have no bite

GappySmeg

Still getting used to my new Z, and am relatively happy with most aspects of the driving experience... could do with a few more ponies and a few less kilos, but I always knew that was going to be the case.

But, my big problem is the brakes. The pedal firms up nicely when pressed, and the travel itself doesn't ring any alarm bells, but the brakes just don't "bite" like I would like. They're certainly not "spongy" so I'm not immediately thinking of brake fluid or hoses. I guess "wooden" might be the best description.

Now obviously to some extent I'm comparing with my previous car... but that was a big heavy 5 Series and the braking was far, far better on that.

Will take the wheels off tomorrow and clean the discs with brake cleaner, but beyond that, are there any known issues I should be looking at?

Or will I simply have to start eliminating the basics (e.g. full bleed -> new pads -> new hoses)

I've read that some people have experienced similar issues when the brakes haven't been used hard enough. A proper re-bedding in solving the problem. I also experienced this when I had my front discs and pads changed earlier in the year and didn't have a chance to get out on clear roads for a week or so.

• 4 weeks later...