Law for how wide the wheels can go?

ddcboyle

Ah right, so the first photo, where it shows the wheel showing from the lower part, that wont matter as its only based on the top of wheel/top fender/arch.

(If that makes sense)

Edit: or is tread counted as the actual single line going round the tyre as opposed to the small inch lines that go parrallel

Edited by ddcboyle

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/part/II/chapter/C/made

Knock yourself out. On mobile right now so can't really search it that easy, but that's the law right there. IIRC there is no exact spec as to what can or can't be showing, it just must not allow the tyre to come into contact with the arch.

Which is pretty obvious, when you think about it!

http://www.legislati.../1986/1078/made

Boom, there you go. Reg 63 covers wings (referring to wheel arches, not spoilers) and states:

every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks.

OR

http://www.legislati.../52/section/40A

The RTA states:

A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when—

(a)the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment, or

(b)the purpose for which it is used, or

©the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried, or

(d)the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured,

is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

So sticky out wheels and tyres could be proven to be hazardous to pedestrians in court, but again there's NO exact numbers or figures for this. You may well read about a 30mm protrusion limit for wheels and 75% of tyre covered by the plan view of the bodywork, however this is for SVA (now IVA) cars only and DOES NOT apply to modified factory-built cars. It all depends on how a court views these laws, rather than defined numbers.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the official answer. No ifs or buts, that's the exact law which you will be tried upon in court. B)

• Like 1

I've twice been stopped for wide wheels , the law (I'm sure is in C&U somewhere but CBA to check) states in effect that no tyre tread must be visible when viewed from above, that's in addition to the no fouling of the arch or any other part of the vehicle

I ran pretty close on my R34, but that looks fine to me

P1000338_zps91915b25.jpg