The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

Yes, good to get back to 2015 qualifying after the first two races shamble and the first two thirds of the race had plenty of action and amazingly although there were various incidents unusual there were no retirements.

Felt sorry for Riccardo to get the puncture when he did - he certainly has the talent to mix it at the front given the right machinery. Vettel was whinging about nothing on the opening lap - the Russian did not even hit him - Seb saving face in front of the Ferrari boss more like....

At least it looks like Honda are slowly getting their engines to work, but ironic the the only point the team has was earned by the sub :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Disgusting, really. Sure, the last race was his fault but the one before wasn't, so are we now saying that if you make one mistake you're getting sacked off? Nope, I'm not comfortable with that, especially with a team like RB where they actively promote the youngsters. This could break Kvyat, and that would be a real shame.

• Like 2

I agree that Kvyatt hasn't particularly done anything to warrant being booted from the lead team however I suspect that (also touched upon in other articles today) it has more to do with holding onto Verstappen than anything to do with Kvyatt.

With Ferrari and Merc currently having seats available for next year, 2 at Williams plus others I imagine Redbull is doing all it can to make sure that Verstappen is with them. Promoting him mid season makes that job much easier, particularly if RB updates start to deliver more. Kvyatt, whilst not being poor, I don't think has actually been as solid as they had hoped. In all likelihood I think RB would have dropped Kvyatt at the end of the season for Verstappen anyway, the early promotion just goes to prevent him being poached. I think it's a case of this being the straw that broke the camel's back and provided them with an easy excuse to switch now.

• Like 2

With Ferrari and Merc currently having seats available for next year, 2 at Williams

I can see Kimi swapping places with Bottas but I would have thought that Massa would stay at Williams. While its true that Rosbergs contract is up I can't imagine that Mercedes would let him go especially if he's World Champion. I suppose he could go to Ferrari but I just don't see it happening.

Pete

With Ferrari and Merc currently having seats available for next year, 2 at Williams

I can see Kimi swapping places with Bottas but I would have thought that Massa would stay at Williams. While its true that Rosbergs contract is up I can't imagine that Mercedes would let him go especially if he's World Champion. I suppose he could go to Ferrari but I just don't see it happening.

Pete

I see kimi leaving as a high possibility. World champions have been dropped before, although I think the last time was Williams 20 years ago if I remember rightly.

I initially thought there was a reasonable chance that Nico would go at the end of the season, possibly back to Williams, but given the start of this year I now think that is less likely. I also think that Jenson may leave at the end of this year or also make a return to Williams. Can see Massa potentially being pushed into retirement or down the grid, although relative to Bottas he has been doing a much better job recently too.

Not sure who I have pegged for the fresh Ferrari seat, maybe Grosjean.

I quite rated Bottas at the start of his career but think his last 18 months have been a little underwhelming.

I think a lot of the movement will depend on Verstappen, and whether or not Button and Raikkonen retire.

As I've said previously in this thread, I don't enjoy seeing Kimi being an also ran these days having previously been a big fan, but it is a classic case of 'don't hate the player, hate the game' ;)

AKA can't really blame the guy - I very much doubt anyone else would turn the contract down.

As I've said previously in this thread, I don't enjoy seeing Kimi being an also ran these days having previously been a big fan, but it is a classic case of 'don't hate the player, hate the game' ;)

AKA can't really blame the guy - I very much doubt anyone else would turn the contract down.

Totally appreciate what you are saying. If I was being paid untold riches to just effectively turn up every couple of weeks I think the money would help rebuild my bruised ego from not being competitive any more. And why turn down anyone that offers you millions for the privilege of driving one of the worlds most impressive and bespoke machines, it's not like he even particularly fulfils loads of sponsor duties. I would do exactly what Kimi is doing given the option and be a damn sight worse at driving to boot. However I don't see Ferrari offering him more money this time round.

I'd be embarrassed if I was Ferrari. Kimi is the kind of brand ambassador I wouldn't want to be associated with: Lazy, miserable, turns up and does the bare minimum.

How Sergio still puts up with him, I don't know.

I seem to remember the first time kimi was "let go" by Ferrari that he had a particularly good management team which meant that ending his contract early was extremely expensive. Not so bad last time as Fernando's Santander money was coming.

It could be that they are currently just holding on til he is out of contract as it is too expensive to get rid of him before hand.

Although as I say that I am suddenly wondering if Kimi was on a one year extension this year that was only an option on his previous contract that Ferrari weren't "legally" (I say legally, contracts seem to mean jack s**t in F1 these days) obliged to take up. Which does beg the question as to why they did. I can't imagine he is bringing untold millions of sponsorship money in. I know he is a popular guy with fans in certain markets but surely not to the extent that sales of their products would dramatically diminish should he find himself out of a job.

The thing I always have to remind myself of when thinking about stuff in F1 (and which I hate the fact that it's true) is that the actual racing is a miniscule part of the bigger picture of politics and commerce.

I do like the WEC however it's not on freeview TV anymore.

That plus the races are so damn long. I like with f1 that I can watch all of the coverage in a weekend and it doesn't completely take over, most of the time, and I can still go out and do other stuff. The thing I don't like about WEC is that I can't justify trying to watch the entire race as it takes up too much time in a single chunk.

The same thing occurs with BTCC since to actually see all races for a weekend you have to give up most of your weekend or be meticulous with your time keeping(if you are happy to miss the other stuff).

I hate dropping in and out of races (which also makes me dislike race highlights) because you don't always get to fully follow what is giong on and so I struggle to really get into WEC as much as I know I would if I could give it the time it deserves.

That's the best thing about WEC, you can drop in/out and there's always something exciting to watch :D Proper close racing throughout the field, it's a billion times more exciting than F1 ever has been in the last 6 years.

Spa tomorrow!

• Like 1

That's the best thing about WEC, you can drop in/out and there's always something exciting to watch :D Proper close racing throughout the field, it's a billion times more exciting than F1 ever has been in the last 6 years.

Spa tomorrow!

It's not on free to air telly any more though is it. Am I correct in thinking it is easy to watch a live stream? I might try catch an hour or two and see if it repeaks my interest in it.

Just been chatting to a friend about this, best way to do it is to get the official FIA WEC app. You then purchase the races you want to see, either £4 per race or £18 for all minus LM or £25 including LM. You can then either view on laptop, or AirPlay/Chromecast to your main TV which is my plan.

You get all the live timing, practice and qualy sessions too. Not free, I know, but not bad value either.