The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

Well I really enjoyed the race again. Thought Grosjean did really well again. Mega impressed with him and Haas so far. What the **** is wrong with Hamilton's attempts to get off the line. Not the result I was hoping for but good race.

It does feel like it's a good time for Bernie to step down and enjoy his millions. I know he's always been a divisive character and you can't please everyone, but these days I don't think he's pleasing anyone. I guess it's hard to walk away from all that power though.

Shame about Hamilton's start and Vettel's engine - I was hoping for a good battle up front.

I know, I think if Vettel hadn't ended before he began, and if Raikkonen and Hamilton had had decent starts we would have had a right battle for the lead all the way through the race. All ifs and buts of course but oh well. I think the championship battle could be reasonably close this year. Surprised that Rosberg has done so well out of the first two races but will be interesting to see how the championship progresses.

The only reason Ferrari have been so close is because they've been running their engines on the limit. They'll have to turn them back down now to improve reliability, so you can expect the gap to the Mercs to increase again.

The only reason Ferrari have been so close is because they've been running their engines on the limit. They'll have to turn them back down now to improve reliability, so you can expect the gap to the Mercs to increase again.

quite possibly very true, which is a shame really.

A pretty average sort of race, Some interesting things though, having followed GP2 closely for the last few years Stoffel Vandoorne has a big future ahead of him, the best driver to come out of GP2 since Lewis Hamilton IMO. I was very impressed with the progress that Manor have made over the winter, instead of running 3 to 4 seconds slower than anyone else they are now battling with Sauber and Force India. Also, the Haas- Ferrari or should I say the Ferrari-Haas has made quite an impact, good effort from The American team.

Pete

• Like 1

A pretty average sort of race, Some interesting things though, having followed GP2 closely for the last few years Stoffel Vandoorne has a big future ahead of him, the best driver to come out of GP2 since Lewis Hamilton IMO. I was very impressed with the progress that Manor have made over the winter, instead of running 3 to 4 seconds slower than anyone else they are now battling with Sauber and Force India. Also, the Haas- Ferrari or should I say the Ferrari-Haas has made quite an impact, good effort from The American team.

Pete

Totally agree with every comment made here Pete. Manor have definitely showed improvement and the Haas has shown, albeit with a lot of Ferrari parts is pretty handy for a new team. Vandoorne definitely one for the future, seen a lot of him in GP2, hopefully he'll get a full drive next year in a competitive car

Thing with the Hass is that it's not just Ferrari parts, it's also the fact they've had free run on the Ferrari wind tunnel by exploiting a (now closed) loophole. And of course, this info wouldn't have hurt Ferrari one little bit ;)

But yes, they've done very well. We'll never know how they would've been without Maranello, but certainly Grosjean is doing his chances of a red seat next year no harm at all.

Drivers 1 Old Tossers 0. http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/35987323

yeah, the system used in the last few years seems to work quite well. The system before that involved thrashing around for 4 practice sessions, best time in any session counted for your grid place......a bit boring but at least there were very few times when the track was empty.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Drivers 1 Old Tossers 0. http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/35987323

yeah, the system used in the last few years seems to work quite well. The system before that involved thrashing around for 4 practice sessions, best time in any session counted for your grid place......a bit boring but at least there were very few times when the track was empty.

Pete

Didn't we go straight from a single, hour-long qualifying session straight to the 3 session knockout style format (the one we're just about to go back to)?

I haven't followed F1 much for years now, but I don't remember 4 sessions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming some others must have watched the race this morning. What did we all think? I personally really enjoyed it overall, plenty of action going on. Still feel some of the action is a little artificial given the tyres and DRS, would be nice if there were tyres that didn't just destroy themselves behind another car.

Kudos to Rosberg for his good start to the championship, can't help but feel he hasn't had to work for one yet and will be interested to see what happens when the rest of them get their act together, not to take anything away from him of course. History would suggest having won the first three races of the season it is going to be his year this year. Not the outcome I am hoping for and still an awful long way too.

Was pleased to see normal qualifying occur again although the Ferraris in Q3 were a bit anticlimactic. Anyway, on to the next one.