The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

Hamilton would be mad to leave Merc right now. Unless knows that the next car will be crap, no racer would leave a winning seat. Merc will back down as they know that Hamilton is the most bankable driver on the grid by far.

I expect RB to be closer next yeat but still not close enough, and I expect Ferrari to carry on going backwards while they figure out who should actually be doing what. I'd dearly love to see Max next to Lewis, the two most exciting drivers on the grid in the same car, but would Max leave RB? I don't know.

• Like 1

Merc will want someone who will always guarantee the points, will play it safe and over team orders. They already have a race winner, they need a points winner.

I'm not sure Lewis will care, as long as he has no1 status in the team. Or thinks he has.

I think it will be either Pascal Wehrlein or Bottas

I doubt they'll look past Wehrlein, he was Mercedes reserve driver and I'm pretty sure that Mercedes paid in part for his seat at Manor (and he's German). Bottas or The Hulk would have been good choices but both are on contract. Button and Alonso, no chance.

Pete

Merc will want someone who will always gurantee the points, will play it safe and over team orders. They already have a race winner, they need a points winner.

I'm not sure Lewis will care, as long as he has no1 status in the team. Or thinks he has.

I wonder if the merc ego wagon will surface, are they going to happy with a points finisher to guarantee them the constructors and put their eggs in one basket for the champ or are they going to want to keep their mostly 1, 2 dominance going.

I think Hamilton will be happy with anyone, but I would bet my left nut he would prefer someone who wont challenge him too hard, I wonder if its even discussed with him.

Agreed, same as any driver really. Nobody wants to be challenged by someone if they have a choice.

I think the Mercedes is so good still that any driver on the grid could get a second place finish without too much bother, so they'll want someone who will stay out of trouble on the overtakes and readily accept team orders.

• Like 1

First priority is the choice will be on the ability to demonstrate they are German, me thinks.

Second priority is a driver who can help maximise the manufacturer championship points.

Third priority is that they obey team orders........

But maybe, like Rosberg took everyone by surprise with his retirement, MB will take on a driver no one though of. :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MB will take on a driver no one though of. :lol:

Adrian Sutil, he's German, experienced, talented and without a drive. Then there's a number of other drivers, Pierre Gasly, GP2 Champion for example.

Pete

Sutil and Hamilton a big NO! Major issues between the two from Sutil's court case.

Some of the reliable motor sport websites are reporting that Williams having rejected the first offer for Bottas made by Mercedes are prepared to let him go and have Massa penciled in as a replacement !! With a young novice (Lance Stroll) as their 2nd driver they need an experienced Number 1 and Massa is reportedly in talks with Williams.

Pete