The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

well done for Nico today :thumbs: ,bet it made a few chaps unhappy here but that was deserved...he handled well the pressure of the last few laps...don't know why but I always seem to favor the underdog :dummy:

Edited by valy

Rosberg winning the championship is like Man Utd winning the league by 5pts even though everyone else played six games less.

You can only win with what's put in front of you, the numbers say he deserves the win and that's that really. Not the worst driver to win a championship, and prob deserves one for his length of service at Merc, but certainly won't be remembered as anything special.

I would have thought most fans would want the other manufacturers catching up, watching merc 1, 2's most of the season is dull, no matter who you prefer from the 2.

The only way Hamilton will move if there is a better car on the grid, or in the pipeline. No chance he is leaving.

Edited by Jetpilot

I feel Lewis' Malaysia retirement robbed us of a good competitive end to the season. Nico did what he had to do and finish behind Lewis but i would have much preferred him have to win at least one the races to win the season. The Merc could have finished on the podium starting from the back of the grid on 90% of tracks this year easily.

I believe he's a worthy champion. He's clearly had a bit of luck on his side and drives what is without doubt the best car but he's won 23 GP's, the same number as 3 times champion Nelson Piquet and just 2 less than another 3 times champion Niki Lauda. Hamilton is a massive talent, IMHO one of the top 5 drivers of all time and I'm certain he'll win at least one more championship, he might even surpass some of Schumi's records !

Pete

• Like 1

I believe he's a worthy champion. He's clearly had a bit of luck on his side and drives what is without doubt the best car but he's won 23 GP's, the same number as 3 times champion Nelson Piquet and just 2 less than another 3 times champion Niki Lauda. Hamilton is a massive talent, IMHO one of the top 5 drivers of all time and I'm certain he'll win at least one more championship, he might even surpass some of Schumi's records !

But he hasnt won the most GP's this season and when hes needed to pass people he hasnt been able to do it, Lewis has clearly been the better driver so its a tough one.

As for the numbers, doesnt make any difference IMO, there are a lot more GP's these days (16 vs 21), the cars are a lot more likely to finish, and dare I say it when theres a lot less overtaking and youre starting at the front you are always going to win more races.

You could argue that anyone racing against Schumi or Vettel was knackered from the start for race wins or championships as no-one got anywhere near them in their heydays.

What does make a difference is that Nico has had head and shoulders the best car for the last two years but lost by 59 points last season and only made it this season due to Hamilton having some shite luck. Ill accept hes the champ, but not that he deserves to be on the performance from this year.

• Like 1

He deserves to be champ only because he had the most points. Everyone knows that he only won because Lewis had the misfortune to be stuck with Nico's crappy mechanics who couldn't change a spark plug properly, even Nico knows he won by default rather than talent.

Nico will be a forgotten champ very quickly.

• Like 1

But is anyone going to remember that Nico didnt deserve it in years to come? No they're not, and history will always show this guy as a champion (unfortunately!). I honestly couldn't tell you of any other seasons where the champion didnt deserve it... i'm sure it's happened, but we quickly forget. Button perhaps?

As much as I prefer Hamilton to Nico, its not just about the driver - its the entire package, driver, car and mechanics. Nicos combination was better than Hamiltons this season. Sure you can put the best driver in the world in a car, but if the car keeps breaking down and DNF then hes not going to win the championship.

Team Hamilton was a good driver let down by an unreliable car, and team Nico was a very good reliable car, possibly making up for a slight deficit on the driver. But that deficit is fractional, Nico has had some great wins this season as well as Hamilton. And winning a championship isn't about winning races, its about consistently banking points, which Nico did.

Still don't particularly like him though.

Heres hoping the regs change next year mix things up a bit, i'm getting a bit bored of Mercedes domination now.

• Like 1

^^ perfectly explained, to finish first, first you have to finish.

If the best driver on the grid "should" win every year and anyone else is undeserving you might as well forget the points and just give the title to Hamilton no matter what car he drives or whoever you think is the best.

I really do hope the other manufacturers bridge the gap next year, but I cant see it.

Team bosses voted like this:

1 Lewis Hamilton, 234 points (No change)

2 Max Verstappen, 183 (Up two places)

3 Nico Rosberg, 176 (No change)

4 Daniel Ricciardo, 133 (Up five)

5 Sebastian Vettel, 90 (Down three)

6 Fernando Alonso, 67 (No change)

7 Kimi Raikkonen, 61 (Up three)

8 Sergio Perez, 52 (No change)

9 Valtteri Bottas, 26 (Down two)

10 Carlos Sainz Jr, 25 (New entry)

How the hell Wehrlein isn't on there ahead of Vettel or Kimi I've no idea.

The car is what wins the championships these days, sadly.

Simply put, most of the current drivers if given a Merc seat could have won the championship simply dependent on car reliabilty.

Best 'driving' entertainment this year was undoubtedly from Max - in much the same way we saw from Lewis in his early years in F1......

Massa couldn't get near Alonso, Webber couldn't get near Vettel, Nico can't get near Lewis unless the car breaks :lol:

Definitely a lot about the car, but Nico is not a worthy winner. For the past 10 years or so, the winner usually has been. Vettel in the RB was imperious, like Schumi in the Ferrari used to be. Boring races, but utterly mesmerising to watch the laps.

I remember Schumacher starting out in the Benetton before it became a great car, he was beating a lot of the better cars in that machine, that really was showing the difference a great driver makes and he was streets ahead of his team mates (Lehto, Herbert etc). But these guys come along once in a blue moon.

You do have to remind yourself of F1 as a team sport, like football. You can have the best player in the world playing up front for you but if your defence is shipping goals they counter-act each other but thats the nature of F1 all over, the team has to win for the driver to win too and the driver is just a single cog in a rather large machine.

• Like 1